Politics Have all the 'ism' , 'phobic' and 'ist' words - lost their meaning - Will they?

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 9, 2006
Brisbane
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
🐍🏆Ophidian Old Boys🏆🐍 and Mizzou
I know this could be discussed as a Society or cultural issue, however I want to discuss the political effect of the question.

Does any one else agree that words such as Racist/Racism, homophobic, Sexist, Ageist.................................... the list grow all the time, are being overused, as the main tool to get ones way.

The use, NO the over use of those terms is really diluting their effect, as its so normal now, they will surely lose the effect they once had.

Everyone is a racist/sexist/homophobe if you don't agree with the left. Does anyone else agree?

The U.S. is the biggest example of the madness of this issue.

I know this could be discussed as a Society or cultural issue, however I want to discuss the political effect of the question.

Does any one else agree that words such as Racist/Racism, homophobic, Sexist, Ageist.................................... the list grow all the time, are being overused, as the main tool to get ones way.

The use, NO the over use of those terms is really diluting their effect, as its so normal now, they will surely lose the effect they once had.

Everyone is a racist/sexist/homophobe if you don't agree with the left. Does anyone else agree?

The U.S. is the biggest example of the madness of this issue.

This isn't only a symptom of the left, it's a general thing in society. If you disagree with someone you attack them and call them an ist / ism / phobic and you don't have to address what they're saying.

The more we use these terms, the more it dilutes the meaning.

This isn't only a symptom of the left, it's a general thing in society. If you disagree with someone you attack them and call them an ist / ism / phobic and you don't have to address what they're saying.

The more we use these terms, the more it dilutes the meaning.
yeah its a shame its gone that way.

Disapointing to see normal people, be labelled so often with those terms, when it most likely couldn't be further from the truth.

Yeah pretty much. Tipping point is when you can predict what one side will argue on any issue. Not because of a philosophical perspective but just because that is what that side argues as part of their identify. Eventually what happens is the ists isms will start arguing s**t which is completely contradictory at which point they have lost the plot.

Yes, yes they have. New labels required.

s0353885_sc7

The issue I have with what you're saying is more that the terms themselves aren't being overused or used incorrectly, but largely because they're being used to 'win', and are therefore not useful to use in an argument unless that is the goal.

That's what irks me I think, people more interested in winning than in ensuring that their argument is the correct one.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back