Have any of you insider folk got any idea of what is the reason we don’t even try and play a key forward?

Remove this Banner Ad

well you asked and i gave you the obvious answer? the coaches and selectors watch the team and would have various things they want to see before they pick players

Patton is clearly ticking them, Lewis is clearly not. It's very simple. I come on bigfooty to have a discussion about the team, about what we're doing right and wrong, and to enjoy the club I love with my fellow supporters.

It seems you come on BigFooty with the sole purpose of criticising the list, the club, the players, the management and going invisible whenever anything positive happens. So I could ask you the exact same question? What's the point of coming on here if you're only going to whine?

Possibly valid... I'll think about it.

Possibly valid... I'll think about it.

as supporters we all love the club and take the good with the bad — it is perfectly valid to criticise decisions made by them and i love discussing it. We all want to see what's best for the club so you do you man, I just think we should equally celebrate the positives as we do lament the negatives

It's the same as what I have always said.

"Bit stiff (Patton) we don't have any reserves football, but he should only appear ahead of Lewis on the back of exceptional VFL form".

To be clear, I am not entirely writing Patton off. I just believe that Lewis is the far more likely prospect to lead our forward line moving forward, and with only six largely irrelevant (win/loss) games to go, we need to keep investing in his development.

I feel for Patton, but until we can see him get a clear run at it at a lower level with his body, I don't believe we should be investing these games in him.
You probably need to accept that the match committee doesn't put age ahead of training and scrimmage form. Of course a good argument can be made for Lewis but his effort was so insipid I think it is best to make him work for his place in the side. Just get some confidence in himself before bringing him back.

We don't play a key forward currently, because none of them are currently up to scratch.

O'Brien is playing, but probably not a key forward, more of a 3rd forward.
Patton, hadn't recovered last week, but from vision, look good in the practice match and I'm sure he will be in this week.
Lewis, after a promising 2019, had a shocking preseason and looks like he doesn't have confidence in his shoulder or the 2nd and 3rd efforts.
Emerson Jeka, obviously to raw and probably not wise to through him in the deep end v Eagles or Port. Unlikely to get a game in his 1st year I would imagine.

I really think the key for this to work is Lewis needs to have a great preseason, get super fit and a lot stronger and develop into a 2nd ruckman.
Patton is never going to be mobile, hoping he can string together the rest of the season, injury free and play him from the goal square, similar to Hawkins.

Maybe O'Brien goes back to take Sicily's roll next year, Frost slides over to Stratton's position and in 2022 when Sic returns, maybe Frawley will have retired as he will be 33 at the start of the 2022 season.

Time will tell.

Every single one of those players mentioned had soft tissue injuries or troubles in their first year at Hawthorn.

Your writing off a 27yr old because he did his hamstring. Once.
Soft tissue and acls are poles apart. You know this. Plus JP 100kg and nearly 200cm. There is no comparison. Was a gamble that cost nix.

Soft tissue and acls are poles apart. You know this. Plus JP 100kg and nearly 200cm. There is no comparison. Was a gamble that cost nix.
The argument remains the same.

Writing off Patton because of some different soft tissue injuries in his first and saying he should just not be played regardless of fitness or form is silly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back