Have Australians ever invented anything?

My missus found one of these in some old **** we had a while back, massive argument ensued as I said it was a real note released years ago, she didn't believe me. I do make up a lot of **** though so I don't blame her.
I was about to make a Mr Aaron joke about age differences but then I realised 1988 was 30 years ago and now I feel old and sad ☹️

raskolnikov

Cancelled
10k Posts 30k Posts Wordler Werewolf Player Essendon Player Sponsor 2021 - Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti and Archie Perkins Essendon Player Sponsor 2020 Essendon Player Sponsor 2019 Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns
Heaps of weird and wacky reasons to take a sickie.

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
Speaking of which, the first automatic totalisator was invented by an Aussie. Well he was born in England and educated in NZ, but he called himself an Aussie and we’ll claim him.

The machine was originally designed to count votes at elections, but the tools at the electoral commission couldn’t get their heads around it, so he adapted it for something useful: calculating odds for parimutuel betting.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Julius

1557881347966.png

and

1557881400784.png

Mar 2, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Simon Anderson won the Bells Beach Classic in 1981 with his revolutionary Thruster board which allowed far greater maneuverability on steep wave faces and ushered in the era of shred-style surfing as opposed to the more laid-back lines surfers took on the single fin and twin fin boards.

simon-anderson_divine.jpg

A bunch of Aussies invented the Fin Control System (with removable fins) in the early 1990's.

This has become the industry standard

0*QpCSln6oq70g5XXt

Oct 9, 2003
Singapore / 30,000 feet
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Eagles (NFL), Suns (NBA)
Australia in general is pretty big in the surfing game.

Rip Curl, Billabong, Quiksilver, Ocean & Earth etc. all started out here. Most surfing companies whether it's clothes or boards started out in Australia, California or Hawaii. Which makes sense.
Gash and Globe also Aussie surf brands. Used to rock the Gash shirts back in the day. I just liked hearing the word Gash.

Back