Have Dogs Played Their Last Game Ever

Remove this Banner Ad

Optimistic Dog

Premiership Player
Oct 11, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I believe the season is over. There is a chance a number clubs will not survive this crisis. The league will want to prop up GWS and the Gold coast. I think North, St Kilda and Melbourne finances are worst than ours and Port are not flash but the league would want them to stay. I think we will be safe but I would not bet on it and the league may try and push a merger with North. We have rallied once but this would be even tougher in the current climate if we were one of the clubs asked to merge.

Way to jolly the mood Dr Laughs.....but seriously there will always be a Footscray in some form. We'll reform the VFA, bring in North & St Kilda and a reformed Fitzroy. Port Melbourne, Williamstown, maybe a few others and a team from Tassie. 10,000 fans at the Western Oval watching part-timers....I'm in.

If any clubs are at risk, it's Port and Saints. Both in dire straits financially, while Saints are only above North (better finances), Brisbane, GWS and Gold Coast (latter 3 are in strategic expansion areas) in terms of members.

If the AFL had to fold a few clubs, it's highly unlikely it would be us, or else serious questions would have to be asked about the viability of the competition going forward, since we would have to be folding after Port, Saints, North and Gold Coast

I believe the season is over. There is a chance a number clubs will not survive this crisis. The league will want to prop up GWS and the Gold coast. I think North, St Kilda and Melbourne finances are worst than ours and Port are not flash but the league would want them to stay. I think we will be safe but I would not bet on it and the league may try and push a merger with North. We have rallied once but this would be even tougher in the current climate if we were one of the clubs asked to merge.
You really need to change your username!

We certainly picked a good time to clear our debts over the last few years. We are in a better position to face this than perhaps any time in our history. Unfortunately, that's not the case for all clubs, nor does it guarantee our survivial (although makes it a lot more likely).

Its impossible to work out the impact of this, but it's fair to say this will definitely change the league moving forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We certainly picked a good time to clear our debts over the last few years. We are in a better position to face this than perhaps any time in our history. Unfortunately, that's not the case for all clubs, nor does it guarantee our survivial (although makes it a lot more likely).

Its impossible to work out the impact of this, but it's fair to say this will definitely change the league moving forward.

I did say I think we will be safe.

Yep. This article looks at a couple of ways that the lost season might financially impact teams:

We stack up nicely in terms of the ability to survive this year. We can actually hang with some of the big boys in that sense, and as you said, it's probably the first time ever we've been able to say that. Nothing is guaranteed for a fair few clubs but if this was any other era for our club, our prospects would be dicey. Right now we should survive.

If the dogs weren't in the league I wouldn't watch footy ever again
That's why the AFL doesn't want any club to fold. They lose members and TV viewers to the game forever. I would have an interest in Footscray VFL side but that's it.

To merge our debts?
I don't think mergers are going to help with the current situation of all clubs losing massive short term income but still having massive costs.
The only way any clubs get merged or moved due to this is if the AFL has a long term agenda for less Melbourne clubs and use this as an opportunity.
Thankfully I don't believe this is the case any longer and besides the AFL has a massive long term TV rights deal signed for an 18 team competition and even they can't manufacture a new team in 10 months.

Even if a club did go into administration I feel like the administrators would acknowledge that the clubs potential long term income would be far more valuable than any assets that could be stripped and sold to cover debts.

Admittedly I don't know a great deal about this stuff but I can't see it killing any clubs.

I forecast a return to the VFL days with little flying costs involved, but to be honest this
situation is dread a lot of the rank and file members will not recover and business could
change forever. Some of the supermarket action is straight out of a mad max film, how
their staff are not wearing masks and gloves is beyond me. I cancelled my AFL fantasy
team two weeks ago it just does not seem that important anymore.

Yep. This article looks at a couple of ways that the lost season might financially impact teams:

We stack up nicely in terms of the ability to survive this year. We can actually hang with some of the big boys in that sense, and as you said, it's probably the first time ever we've been able to say that. Nothing is guaranteed for a fair few clubs but if this was any other era for our club, our prospects would be dicey. Right now we should survive.
Fascinating article and comparison of clubs.

Well I would assume next years season would require television or some sort of electronic media for each game. For that, they need every team playing to make the 9 games. The AFL(or the 20% left over - what a disgrace that is) will also need to add a few bells and whistles to sponsors and fans to make up for this year.

Wouldn't surprise me if the players in every team over a certain level will be asked politely to take a pay cut. Given the high amount they earn, and the fact that many people won't have a job, it is the fair thing to do and a necessity. Who knows what sponsors will be around the following year.

And the best pay cut of all, get rid of Mc Laughlin. He plays the season purely out of self interest(stuff the players) and when it is cut after ONE round, he sacks 80% of the staff. What a guy. A CEO needs vision, good decision making and loyalty to his staff. Surely there is someone in Australia who could do a better job.

Fascinating article and comparison of clubs.

Yeah. West Coast are in this sweet spot of being a very successful club, premierships spanning 3 decades, competing against...Freo in a two team state.

Richmond is to be expected although it would have been really interesting to see how they stacked up even 5 years ago compared to today.

The membership conundrum is a big one; even people who had income to responsibly spend on things like AFL memberships will be struggling and unemployed. Would be completely fair of teams to do membership refunds, a lot of people are going to need every penny. Of course it's also noble to let the club keep the money, they'll need it to. But there's no shame in wanting your membership money back, and it wouldn't make you any less of a supporter. Would also be interesting if clubs could figure out ways to reimburse members without giving refunds; special promo items to go along with the hat/scarf, things like that.

Well I would assume next years season would require television or some sort of electronic media for each game. For that, they need every team playing to make the 9 games. The AFL(or the 20% left over - what a disgrace that is) will also need to add a few bells and whistles to sponsors and fans to make up for this year.

Wouldn't surprise me if the players in every team over a certain level will be asked politely to take a pay cut. Given the high amount they earn, and the fact that many people won't have a job, it is the fair thing to do and a necessity. Who knows what sponsors will be around the following year.

And the best pay cut of all, get rid of Mc Laughlin. He plays the season purely out of self interest(stuff the players) and when it is cut after ONE round, he sacks 80% of the staff. What a guy. A CEO needs vision, good decision making and loyalty to his staff. Surely there is someone in Australia who could do a better job.

AFLPA came to AFl with proposed two month 50% pay cut; AFL said no deal. Who knows what happens, but the players perspectives will change as all the non-player staff get stood down around them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back