Have Geelong become too powerful?

Remove this Banner Ad

Rents and affordability of getting into the market... quality for what you get.... unhappily nterest rates are on the march up.
that is a better point but rent only impacts the young and the poor players. The young dont get to choose where they go so its irrelevant. neither do the poor players really and even if they do then who cares.

Depending on which way you look at it I feel spoiled.

I started watching footy the day of the 89 GF. Obviously it sucked losing 4 GFs but it was still nice being constantly near the pointy end with really only a gap from 98-03 where we were overwhelmingly average (one EF appearance from memory) so it’s basically been 34 seasons with a quick stop to draw breath in the middle but you’re right the guys who started around 2004-05 definitely have been blessed
I started watching footy in 1990 (SANFL) and obviously in 91 when the Crows came in.. by 1997/98 i was a 14yr old/15yr old those years when we went back-to-back and could appreciate it etc BUT id have killed to have seen a flag or 2 in my 20s and 30s... i am 40 next year and now out of my prime years haha missed out in 05/06 and 2017 was the golden chance. Now it doesnt look likely for at least 4 or 5 years before we challenge again. Geelong just know how to do it right plus they can attract gun players. helps that any country boy that wants to go home will more than likely want to go to the Cats.

Maybe the question should be "Have Geelong become too professional"? All i can say to that is "It's about time"! Geelong of the 21st Century is a far different club than it was in the 60s through to the 90s when powerhouse clubs like Carlton, Richmond, Essendon and Hawthorn dominated footy. As we approach 2023 living in the big smoke doesn't have the same attraction as it once did, player's lifestyles have changed, they are scrutinised more and everyone else has a mobile phone with a camera, do one thing wrong and you're going to be a headline with proof! No longer do many of them stagger out of the Tunnel off King street or Saloon Bar in South Yarra at 2am in the morning. Of course they want to have fun, but they also want to hang onto that six figure salary as long as can, i used to see a few stagger out of the Cherry Bar years ago, not so these days. It's embedded into players down at Geelong that you're a long-time retired, make the most of it while you can and don't blow it, going out and getting blotto doesn't appear to be high on the list of AFL footballers today? It's just too risky. The Melbourne CBD still has some good places to go for a young bloke, but it ain't what it used to be. The high pressure that comes with playing AFL at the highest level has the modern player thinking a lot more about their mental well being as much as their physical.

Last edited:
Simple question with an obvious answer in my eyes.. YES they have become too powerful!! How is it a team can win a grand final by a huge margin, yet still be able to get their hands on pick 7... and trade in players for peanuts who were previously drafted in the first round, just because they played for the Falcons??

Imagine the media outrage if this was one of the big Melbourne clubs?? Instead, all we hear is how it's all down to good management and culture.. when if this was one of the big Melbourne clubs.. all the media commentary would be about how unfairly advantaged the big Melbourne club is, and what needs to be done to curb said advantages.

This all started when Geelong supporter Steve Bracks got into power and began greasing the wheels for the Geelong Football Club.. and surprise surprise, this has turned Geelong into a powerful.. albeit too powerful, football club.

Whether it’s right or wrong it’s Definitely good management as it was for the tigers to somehow get two GWS players during trade period. The real question is should clubs be allowed to manage well and thus get strong or do they need to continue operating like St.Kilda?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah me too....its pretext is so funny!
i know ,10 flags in 130 years,please please somebody stop 'em :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
R.dd5eb777592311282bbd266263518a74

They aren't powerful, but they are smart
They buddied up with the powerful brokers in the media and in politics, so they're free of criticism.
In turn, they attract the better players

yes it’s a great point. We never get criticised. The whole time between 2011 and last year, we have never been criticised. Not once. I can’t remember any criticism at all.

I can’t remember any criticism of our finals record.
I can’t remember any criticism of our coach.
I can’t remember any criticism of our bizarre home ground advantage which gives us an extra minus-four home games every season
I can’t remember any criticism of our discipline as the most suspended club in that time
I can’t remember any criticism of our failure to win a title despite being top four every year

No. Criticism is one thing we have DEFINITELY been immune from. Never been criticised. No criticism.

Cats fans please feel free to correct me , was it the early 2000's and Geelong were an eye watering $7 mil in debt and Costa , Cook and ? Davidson made a pact to stay together until the debt was gone ?

I think the corner stone of their strategy was no silly trades and then some truly good father son picks in the draft came at the right time ,
they got the books in order and have been very sensibly managed ever since , well done to those three

They had their wobbly patch in 2006 , there was talk of Bomber Thompson and a players girlfriend , and had a club review kept Bomber booted cant kick Kingsley , Kingsley went onto do nothing and Bomber proved himself to be a top line coach , right move

Their drafting was consistently good , that took pressure off their trading which is also good and of course onfield success brings in the sponsors and supporters

in more recent times they traded up in the draft to get Max Holmes , we can say in hind sight was very astute and good talent spotting

we , the football world , don't want to punish them for being very good at maintaining their clubs list and finances
I want mine to do similar

but if they are ever proved to be cheating the salary cap , throw the book at them

plus they dont seem to have many disgruntled players leave the club , I remember big Mummy had to go to get more opportunity and it was the right move for him and not much the Club could do , so they must manage players expectations in terms of game time and dollars

Geelong are simply just lucky they have one of the best country football leagues in their backyard.

They get far more of a benefit from local talent than other clubs do.

Cats fans please feel free to correct me , was it the early 2000's and Geelong were an eye watering $7 mil in debt and Costa , Cook and ? Davidson made a pact to stay together until the debt was gone ?

I think the corner stone of their strategy was no silly trades and then some truly good father son picks in the draft came at the right time ,
they got the books in order and have been very sensibly managed ever since , well done to those three

They had their wobbly patch in 2006 , there was talk of Bomber Thompson and a players girlfriend , and had a club review kept Bomber booted cant kick Kingsley , Kingsley went onto do nothing and Bomber proved himself to be a top line coach , right move

Their drafting was consistently good , that took pressure off their trading which is also good and of course onfield success brings in the sponsors and supporters

in more recent times they traded up in the draft to get Max Holmes , we can say in hind sight was very astute and good talent spotting

we , the football world , don't want to punish them for being very good at maintaining their clubs list and finances
I want mine to do similar

but if they are ever proved to be cheating the salary cap , throw the book at them

plus they dont seem to have many disgruntled players leave the club , I remember big Mummy had to go to get more opportunity and it was the right move for him and not much the Club could do , so they must manage players expectations in terms of game time and dollars
Reasonable summation. Not sure who 'Davidson' was but the stroke of genius was recruiting the best CEO, Brian Cook. He was able to negotiate a deal with the banks who were owed money, and he them devised the blueprint for player payments. It's no secret Cats stars were generally paid less than what they could command elsewhere.

Mummie was still on a rookie salary when he left. Swans must have offered him more than 5 times what he was on. Cats tsuck with Mark Blake, which in hindisght was a mistake.

We have to thank Richmond for Max Holmes. They traded a draft pick for a future pick enabling Cats to get Max

Geelong are simply just lucky they have one of the best country football leagues in their backyard.

They get far more of a benefit from local talent than other clubs do.
Not really. Its not like GFC can automatically pick players from the local comp. It's not an Academy. For everylocal boy recruited by Geelong, there are more who end up elsewhere.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back