Have Geelong become too powerful?

Remove this Banner Ad

Sadly any semblance of respect and this is not isolated to football but in life in general attracts the jealous hatred of mindless zombies

All club exists for the success on and off the field , being liked wouldn’t be one of their targets tbh…unless it’s the approval of their supporters

At the end of the day it’s just a game I can understand the tribalism but “hating” a club is just silly imo
I don't hate Geelong. I just want them to fail for a year.

I just wish Geelong would suck for a year. I don't mean like be in contention for the year and then get thrashed in the finals kind of suck. And I don't mean miss out on finals on percentage kind of suck. I mean the kind of suck where halfway through the season it's clear that they are going to win the wooden spoon. I mean the kind of suck where all the AFL news is overtaken with speculation about the future of their coach and player discontent. I mean the kind of suck where it's not a matter of who will lose but how much Geelong will lose by.

I feel if that happened. Just for a year they wouldn't be so disliked.
In a 163 years Geelong has never finished lower than 12th in its history

By the nature of their location, its easier for Geelong to have a better culture and success.

There will be a time when Geelong don't have that advantage.

The club won’t be successful forever as every run does end eventually , just look at your own club’s history after a strong period that followed by poor choices and culture ect

There’s nothing stopping other clubs from forming a strong culture and recruitment

Not this external “advantage” that somehow only exists for Geelong …again just sounds like pathetic excuses

There is always a first time.
True but as it stands the club hasn’t fallen off the cliff like everyone has been foretelling and wishing in the last 10 odd years …even as our weakest when we were losing games, going broke and couldn’t recruit anyone we still didn’t fall down the ladder

True but as it stands the club hasn’t fallen off the cliff like everyone has been foretelling and wishing in the last 10 odd years …even as our weakest when we were losing games, going broke and couldn’t recruit anyone we still didn’t fall down the ladder
If Geelong fell down the ladder and won the wooden spoon they might not be so despised

The club won’t be successful forever as every run does end eventually , just look at your own club’s history after a strong period that followed by poor choices and culture ect

There’s nothing stopping other clubs from forming a strong culture and recruitment

Not this external “advantage” that somehow only exists for Geelong …again just sounds like pathetic exexcuses
It's different these days. Back in the day rich powerful clubs could do it. Nowadays it's equalised.
Any club can still build a strong culture, but it will only last a short time.
Geelong can maintain it. And have.
No other club has the lifestyle/cultural advantage they have to draw on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's different these days. Back in the day rich powerful clubs could do it. Nowadays it's equalised.
Let’s be honest here some players want a rural/beach lifestyle and some players want the city lifiestyle

It’s up to each club to make that case to their potential players , don’t start pretending that it only exists for Geelong

Let’s be honest here some players want a rural/beach lifestyle and some players want the city lifiestyle

It’s up to each club to make that case to their potential players , don’t start pretending that it only exists for Geelong
Culture isn't limited to just that. Although I've never heard of a city lifestyle change.

Geelong has a club built within their very own regional city. Where 95% are Geelong supporters. How could a player not be inspired by that environment?
City clubs are fighting with either several other clubs, or rugby ground, or trying to establish a new club within an existing diverse following.
Even West Coast don't have a small city and 95% supporter base.
Good on Geelong.

Culture isn't limited to just that. Although I've never heard of a city lifestyle change.

Geelong has a club built within their very own regional city. Where 95% are Geelong supporters. How could a player not be inspired by that environment?
City clubs are fighting with either several other clubs, or rugby ground, or trying to establish a new club within an existing diverse following.
Even West Coast don't have a small city and 95% supporter base.
Good on Geelong.
So what was Ess excuse when they were successful? Like I said you’re looking at external excuses to this successful period instead of just acknowledging that the club is well run and in its golden era at the moment

It’s been a long journey for the club since the dark days , with no help from the AFL the club has changed everything while keeping faithful to the region and support base. Instead we have people whining and moaning that they have a “advantage” instead of just acknowledging the hard truth.

So what was Ess excuse when they were successful? Like I said you’re looking at external excuses to this successful period instead of just acknowledging that the club is well run and in its golden era at the moment

It’s been a long journey for the club since the dark days , with no help from the AFL the club has changed everything while keeping faithful to the region and support base. Instead we have people whining and moaning that they have a “advantage” instead of just acknowledging the hard truth.
I believe I already answered that.
Geelong should be successful until the city population increases 3 fold. Then they will be just like every other club. At the moment a monkey could run it successfully.

This is SUCH a cop out. If it were reality, Newcastle and St George Illawarra and Gold
coast and North Queensland would all be renowned for their NRL culture; North Queensland MAYBE but not the rest.

Hell, the Perth teams have one of the most beautiful areas in the world, have all the local support possible and while Perth is a big city the general area is sprawling and not nearly as much of a fishbowl as Melbourne.

It is a complete cop out.
What is this lifestyle advantage that Geelong has? Less traffic? Beaches? F*** if it’s that big a deal for the Melbourne based teams, start encouraging your players to move an hour away.

Culture doesn’t come from demographics or geography it comes from what clubs build and what they stand for and the standards they set and accept.

Respect means nothing without being liked. How high can a bird fly out of the the chessboard? Where can the ocean rest? To me if you're respected and not liked people will celebrate harder when the downfall eventually comes.

I disagree

I respect the hell out of Hawthorn it doesn’t mean I have to like them and most Cats fans would feel the same

This is SUCH a cop out. If it were reality, Newcastle and St George Illawarra and Gold
coast and North Queensland would all be renowned for their NRL culture; North Queensland MAYBE but not the rest.

Hell, the Perth teams have one of the most beautiful areas in the world, have all the local support possible and while Perth is a big city the general area is sprawling and not nearly as much of a fishbowl as Melbourne.

It is a complete cop out.
What is this lifestyle advantage that Geelong has? Less traffic? Beaches? F*** if it’s that big a deal for the Melbourne based teams, start encouraging your players to move an hour away.

Culture doesn’t come from demographics or geography it comes from what clubs build and what they stand for and the standards they set and accept.

I disagree

I respect the hell out of Hawthorn it doesn’t mean I have to like them and most Cats fans would feel the same
But hawthorn was clever enough to bottom out after their success which meant they weren't as despised as the cats.

But hawthorn was clever enough to bottom out after their success which meant they weren't as despised as the cats.

I don’t really care if people do despise us.

I’d rather be despised and keep competing than be liked and be going like busted arses.

That’s not a commentary on Hawthorn either I like that they tried to do what we are doing and hang on as long as possible without bottoming out

I don’t really care if people do despise us.

I’d rather be despised and keep competing than be liked and be going like busted arses.

That’s not a commentary on Hawthorn either I like that they tried to do what we are doing and hang on as long as possible without bottoming out

Nobody is going to have much respect for a club with a flag to losing final ratio from 1967 of 1 to 10.5. That is abysmal really. I don’t respect that. No self respecting football follower should respect a ratio like that given it is so reflective of mental fragility. Least of all Hawthorn or Richmond supporters whose clubs have 4-5 x better flag to losing finals ratios in that period, reflective of much greater mental fortitude. Strength doesn’t respect weakness. 😎

Best Geelong can hope for is to be liked, never going to be respected in my lifetime. Best way to be liked is to gtf back where you belong near the bottom and middle of the ladder, your natural habitat. 😁

Remove this Banner Ad

Back