Have Geelong become too powerful?

Remove this Banner Ad

I've always found you to be a reasonable poster so I'll take your opinion as genuinely held rather than the trolling and pearl clutching that regularly goes on BF. Do you honestly think Selwood is not one of the worst offenders at drawing free kicks that he could have avoided? Additionally, do you honestly think he is not one of the worst offenders at 'trying' to draw free kicks that are not warranted (i.e ducks and it isn't paid)? The example I gave of Hodges head massages and dirty 'almost' suspension worthy hits, do you agree with that? Hodge being a dirty player is about as universal a truism as Selwood being a ducker (plenty of BF posters would agree) and I bet you won't find footage of that either. If the commentators don't call it out live, it never gets any attention from the media and there is no footage. Noone is going to cut up a 'Hodge head massages and cheap shots' package.

Back to Selwood, Strange Cat is right, I am sure he has watched more games of Selwood than I have. Having said that, I still probably watch him play 5-6 times a year between Port, Crows, and 'high profile' games. The last couple of years, he toned it down, but for a good 10-year block it was the same script with any game I saw him play. He would do absolutely everything he could to be hit high. He would duck to pick the ball up and deliberately run into the opposition's shins (when they had stopped dead) and throw the head back. When trying to sidestep, he would lower his body to make sure the tackle went high and throw the head back. If it didn't go high, he'd push the arm up to try and push it up above the shoulder. If that didn't work and he was on the ground with a player standing/ crouching over him, he would literally try to wriggle up their arm and headbutt the opposition players arm with the side/back of his head repeatedly. If he didn't get a free kick, he would go and have a whinge to the umpire. He would do these sorts of acts 5-10 times a game quite often and whilst many times they wouldn't be paid, inevitably 1-2 times a game he would get a high free from contact that he initiated.

Any one of those things I mentioned other players do/have done. I have just never seen a player do all of them as regularly as Selwood and the stats bare out the fact that he gets ALOT more free kicks than anyone else. With finals he might have played a few extra games than most, but when you're looking at a set period like 2010-19 and similar players that played the whole decade like Pendlebury, Boak, Ablett, Cotchin are nowhere near him, you have to admit that is just a bit sus? Do they not put their head over the ball at every contest? Do they not get just as much contested ball? His behavior is especially galling in light of the way other players were treated. Robbie Gray got mugged in the forward line for the backhalf of his career, you'd see a slow-motion replay of a clear free and the commentators would justify it on the basis that 'he was playing it up by waving his arms and complaining to the umpire' while 3 players are gangbanging him. Ginnivan, Weightman, they have been pulled up mighty quick. Meanwhile, Selwood as a 'stalward' of the game and part of the 'good bloke' club that commentator's crap on about can teapot and complain incessantly and not only not get fewer frees than he should get, but quite a few more.

Feel free to agree or disagree with any or all of that.
Very well written and explained , But they already know this as they watch every game and every minute of Selwood playing

But they will never admit that their "Champ" is a cheat

So where’s the ducking? I saw him shrug to get out of a high tackle but I don’t see him ducking into a tackle ….strange that you think that’s ducking and he even continues to play on …amazing

So that’s your one magic clip out of 355 games and it wasnt even ducking

Hilarious
Go look for it its there if you try

but the point is he is a cheat

I've always found you to be a reasonable poster so I'll take your opinion as genuinely held rather than the trolling and pearl clutching that regularly goes on BF. Do you honestly think Selwood is not one of the worst offenders at drawing free kicks that he could have avoided? Additionally, do you honestly think he is not one of the worst offenders at 'trying' to draw free kicks that are not warranted (i.e ducks and it isn't paid)? The example I gave of Hodges head massages and dirty 'almost' suspension worthy hits, do you agree with that? Hodge being a dirty player is about as universal a truism as Selwood being a ducker (plenty of BF posters would agree) and I bet you won't find footage of that either. If the commentators don't call it out live, it never gets any attention from the media and there is no footage. Noone is going to cut up a 'Hodge head massages and cheap shots' package.

Back to Selwood, Strange Cat is right, I am sure he has watched more games of Selwood than I have. Having said that, I still probably watch him play 5-6 times a year between Port, Crows, and 'high profile' games. The last couple of years, he toned it down, but for a good 10-year block it was the same script with any game I saw him play. He would do absolutely everything he could to be hit high. He would duck to pick the ball up and deliberately run into the opposition's shins (when they had stopped dead) and throw the head back. When trying to sidestep, he would lower his body to make sure the tackle went high and throw the head back. If it didn't go high, he'd push the arm up to try and push it up above the shoulder. If that didn't work and he was on the ground with a player standing/ crouching over him, he would literally try to wriggle up their arm and headbutt the opposition players arm with the side/back of his head repeatedly. If he didn't get a free kick, he would go and have a whinge to the umpire. He would do these sorts of acts 5-10 times a game quite often and whilst many times they wouldn't be paid, inevitably 1-2 times a game he would get a high free from contact that he initiated.

Any one of those things I mentioned other players do/have done. I have just never seen a player do all of them as regularly as Selwood and the stats bare out the fact that he gets ALOT more free kicks than anyone else. With finals he might have played a few extra games than most, but when you're looking at a set period like 2010-19 and similar players that played the whole decade like Pendlebury, Boak, Ablett, Cotchin are nowhere near him, you have to admit that is just a bit sus? Do they not put their head over the ball at every contest? Do they not get just as much contested ball? His behavior is especially galling in light of the way other players were treated. Robbie Gray got mugged in the forward line for the backhalf of his career, you'd see a slow-motion replay of a clear free and the commentators would justify it on the basis that 'he was playing it up by waving his arms and complaining to the umpire' while 3 players are gangbanging him. Ginnivan, Weightman, they have been pulled up mighty quick. Meanwhile, Selwood as a 'stalward' of the game and part of the 'good bloke' club that commentator's crap on about can teapot and complain incessantly and not only not get fewer frees than he should get, but quite a few more.

1. I don’t think hodge was especially dirty he played the game hard and aggressively and I respect him for it. At times it carries too far but the majority of the time it didn’t. I don’t have an issue with it.

2. I equate ducking with simulating in soccer. An attempt to draw a penalty or a free kick for something that didn’t actually happen. Same in rugby league. Players deliberately running into a player who cannot possibly avoid the contact or disappear, in order to earn a penalty or have a try disallowed.

3. I equate what Selwood did when trying to win, extract or move the ball on foot with, for want of a better analogy, an offside trap in soccer. It’s a style of play that forces the opposition to infringe, while also trying to achieve a goal in general play. Of course Selwood is conscious of the potential for a free kick. He’s not diving at players head first where they can’t avoid it. He’s not flopping all over the place from contact that wasn’t made. He’s not feigning contact to the neck and head that wasn’t there. The rules are pretty clear. You can’t tackle around the neck and head. He forced countless players to have their arms up around his neck and head. He also did it, in almost every single instance, in the process of trying to get the ball, move it on and find a teammate. Forwards often position themselves to try and mark the ball but also to make sure that if they don’t, their direct opponent runs a big risk of chopping their arms or pushing them in the back to try and prevent the mark and thus drawing a free kick.

As far as I’m concerned if your intent is to win ball, possess ball, and dispose of ball, the other stuff is a lot less relevant.

Can you breath under all that sand
You seem to considering ducking to be very different to what is actually ducking

Joel never ducked into a tackle or played for frees …he always tried to continue the game to dispose the ball to a teammate …the likes of Ginnavian and Puopolo would flop and fall to their knees at the slightest of a touch in a tackle to look for a free

Vastly different

So What is ducking ??

Is it dropping your knees to get a high free or is it going in head first to get a free or even raising your arm ??
To me Ducking is all and Duckwood mastered the art of cheating and now players like minivan are copying that
the afl media and supporters have been discussing Duckwoods ducking for year and just about his entire career

1675825617904.jpeg
OIP.zCskN8iJxO2XntDAy0-hoQHaEK
"GEELONG captain Joel Selwood admits he knows his tactics to draw high contact free kicks “annoys people” but will continue to take on tacklers during games."

You seem to considering ducking to be very different to what is actually ducking

Joel never ducked into a tackle or played for frees …he always tried to continue the game to dispose the ball to a teammate …the likes of Ginnavian and Puopolo would flop and fall to their knees at the slightest of a touch in a tackle to look for a free

Vastly different
Really ??

GEELONG captain Joel Selwood admits he knows his tactics to draw high contact free kicks “annoys people” but will continue to take on tacklers during games.

So What is ducking ??

Is it dropping your knees to get a high free or is it going in head first to get a free or even raising your arm ??
To me Ducking is all and Duckwood mastered the art of cheating and now players like minivan are copying that
the afl media and supporters have been discussing Duckwoods ducking for year and just about his entire career

View attachment 1602599
"GEELONG captain Joel Selwood admits he knows his tactics to draw high contact free kicks “annoys people” but will continue to take on tacklers during games."

That’s literally two photos of players giving away clear free kicks

People that say burden of proof that think they're lawyers are like people that say supply and demand that think they are economists. It's technically true, but you're still an idiot. People do understand that people are literally convicted of serious crimes without a smoking gun yes? A multitude of circumstantial evidence is sufficient to put someone away for life. Supporters not getting their day in Big Footy Kangaroo court to defend a charge of Selwood being a 'ducker', is akin to the cases against Linday Chamberlain, Chappelle Corby, and whoever increased the prices of Bertie Beetle showbags combined. I will not stand idly by while such travesties remain unchallenged.

I am not saying Strange Cat is a murderer, but if the remains of dead hookers kept on turning up at his property, I think he might have some questions to answer. There doesn't need to be 4k footage of them killing the hookers and then holding up their license to the camera to convict.

So What is ducking ??

View attachment 1602599
Free kicks easily can’t see any ducking there? Isn’t that the basis of this entire discussion between us?

Free kicks easily can’t see any ducking there? Isn’t that the basis of this entire discussion between us?
Did you like the link you requested where Duckwood admits his tactics are cheating but is allowed to get away with it

Would you like more links , there are a shed load

Google is your friend mate

Enjoy

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really ??

GEELONG captain Joel Selwood admits he knows his tactics to draw high contact free kicks “annoys people” but will continue to take on tacklers during games.
He didn’t admit to drawing high contact for frees …click bait at its finest

As players we understand you can still take the players on and that’s what I try and do. I have a different way to others to do it and it annoys people, we do understand.”

Actually read the article and read what he actually saids instead of going by the authors click bait quotes…no where does he say his tactics is to draw high contract for free kicks

Selwood maintains he plays to the rules and left it up to the AFL to judge.

“There is a little bit of an art to it,” Selwood said in 2012.

“You can talk about the whole thing that I duck but I do it to the rules at the moment and I will continue to do it until they get changed.”

Last edited:
Did you like the link you requested where Duckwood admits his tactics are cheating but is allowed to get away with it

Would you like more links , there are a shed load

Google is your friend mate

Enjoy
Feel free to post a link to Joel actually saying his tactics is cheating …just like the last article where he didn’t actually say that?

I feel it’ll be very much like all your other claims with very little behind it

1. I don’t think hodge was especially dirty he played the game hard and aggressively and I respect him for it. At times it carries too far but the majority of the time it didn’t. I don’t have an issue with it.

2. I equate ducking with simulating in soccer. An attempt to draw a penalty or a free kick for something that didn’t actually happen. Same in rugby league. Players deliberately running into a player who cannot possibly avoid the contact or disappear, in order to earn a penalty or have a try disallowed.

3. I equate what Selwood did when trying to win, extract or move the ball on foot with, for want of a better analogy, an offside trap in soccer. It’s a style of play that forces the opposition to infringe, while also trying to achieve a goal in general play. Of course Selwood is conscious of the potential for a free kick. He’s not diving at players head first where they can’t avoid it. He’s not flopping all over the place from contact that wasn’t made. He’s not feigning contact to the neck and head that wasn’t there. The rules are pretty clear. You can’t tackle around the neck and head. He forced countless players to have their arms up around his neck and head. He also did it, in almost every single instance, in the process of trying to get the ball, move it on and find a teammate. Forwards often position themselves to try and mark the ball but also to make sure that if they don’t, their direct opponent runs a big risk of chopping their arms or pushing them in the back to try and prevent the mark and thus drawing a free kick.

As far as I’m concerned if your intent is to win ball, possess ball, and dispose of ball, the other stuff is a lot less relevant.

I'm arguing that he absolutely did that. He would both pick the ball up and dive forward at a stationary tackler and if caught high would teapot to the umpire and also would pick up the ball and hold off on standing up properly for an extra half a second while on the move to initiate high contact with a stationary tackler. He would absolutely throw his head back as well. I am not sure Soccer is a great analogy. It is an absolute dogshit sport, not because of the game itself but the bullshit gamesmanship. It is unwatchable with pansies on the ground pretending to be injured all the time. Soccer supporters would use the same arguments that you have where someone milked contact that occurred. I can also guarantee that if Port were playing in Geelong and we got a couple of those free kicks, your supporters would be going feral.

The thing is, I am sure there's footage of Selwood playing for a free like every contemporary midfielder. And from the shooting stars videos, it's not like people don't have time and means to produce it. The fact is if you were to do a montage of Selwood's frees, you would be able to justify Selwoods action in the vast majority of them due to him breaking the tackle, keeping his feet, playing on, etc. It makes those few gotcha ones look insignificant and petty. I'm sure many people have tried and come to that conclusion. For them it's easier to just take cheap shots on forums about a vibe.

But do you have footage to prove it!

You'd think it was obvious that such a labour intensive process is easier for a club which has people involved with it spread around a less congested space that hosts a traditionally strong TAC team and a super strong local league exists.

It's far easier for Geelong to watch it's local players than it is for Melbourne teams to have the same amount of information pouring into it.

You literally got Stewart because you had someone at his club pushing him for you to evaluate.

That's common all over the Geelong District.
This is nonsense.

How many 18/19 year old kids get drafted from non-TAC clubs in Victoria?

They all enter the system to improve their chances. TAC clubs pride themselves on draft numbers. Do you really think that Falcons coaching staff are only reaching out to GFC contacts?

Do you really think that AFL clubs don’t have contacts in strong country and suburban leagues?

Stewart was drafted by Geelong after going through Falcons, not being drafted, playing local footy and was then coached and recommended to the club by Matty Scarlett. A similar example is Ben Reid coaching Wangaratta and alerting Collingwood to the potential of Joe Richards who the Pies duly drafted.

Geelong do employ a draft strategy whereby if player A and B are both equal and one comes from G-town, they’ll always select the home grown option. Just as most WA, SA or VIC clubs would choose the local option if given the choice.

I’m old enough to remember that there was a time when Geelong couldn’t attract anyone to the club. They threw the kitchen sink at Jade Rawlings who chose the bulldogs in preference to Geelong.

With regards the go-home factor, the only real legitimate star to have come home to the cats is Dangerfield. Cameron to a lesser degree though it’s still a 3.5 hour drive from Geelong to Dartmoor. Dahlhaus and Higgins were both past their best when they came back.

Tanner Bruhn may be another though I suspect if he’s been drafted by a ViC club, he’d still be there now. Henry wanted to play with his brother - you can understand that.

As others have said, if players are looking to come to Geelong, it may well have something to do with the culture the club has built. Does living 30 minutes from Torquay help? Sure, for some, it would be an attraction. For some reason though, the Gold Coast doesn’t seem to have the same pull though you’d argue it ticks all the boxes for a young fella.

This story has truly been done to death. The guy is now retired and you want to perpetuate the myth? Why?

Joel Selwood was a prolific inside mid who never shirked getting in and under. As a youngster he was taught a technique to evade tackles which did NOT involve ducking his head, head butting or whatever you want to call it. He shrugged his shoulders and at the same time dropped his knees to avoid being tackled. If it was a sloppy tackle, i.e., a chest high tackle, this invariably the tackles to slip around the neck.

Leigh Matthews was asked about it and he had no problem whatsoever with what Selwood did (nor did the umpires). When asked what he thought about Selwood being awarded so many frees he said (a) midfielders who are first to the ball should be rewarded and (b) tacklers need to be cleverer when tackling, i.e., tackle around the waist so a player like Selwood could not shrug out of it. Problem in the modern game is that the tackers wants to pin the ball carrier's arms.

Nine times out of 10 an umpire blew his whistle to award a free to Selwood but Selwood had already played on, i.e., he wasn't playing for the free

This story has truly been done to death. The guy is now retired and you want to perpetuate the myth? Why?

Joel Selwood was a prolific inside mid who never shirked getting in and under. As a youngster he was taught a technique to evade tackles which did NOT involve ducking his head, head butting or whatever you want to call it. He shrugged his shoulders and at the same time dropped his knees to avoid being tackled. If it was a sloppy tackle, i.e., a chest high tackle, this invariably the tackles to slip around the neck.

Leigh Matthews was asked about it and he had no problem whatsoever with what Selwood did (nor did the umpires). When asked what he thought about Selwood being awarded so many frees he said (a) midfielders who are first to the ball should be rewarded and (b) tacklers need to be cleverer when tackling, i.e., tackle around the waist so a player like Selwood could not shrug out of it. Problem in the modern game is that the tackers wants to pin the ball carrier's arms.

Nine times out of 10 an umpire blew his whistle to award a free to Selwood but Selwood had already played on, i.e., he wasn't playing for the free

Leigh Matthews is probably the dirtiest player to ever play the game. Quite potentially the best ever as well. I'd suspect at least part of his defense of Selwood would be the parallels between their careers. I am sure it bugs him that despite all that he's achieved there is a massive footnote on his career 'yeah but he was a thug'.

Selwood also told the show that he feels he cops harsh treatment from some commentators who lack consistency.

He singled out Nathan Buckley and Nick Riewoldt for praise as 'guys that are straight out of the game, and call the game for what it is' - something he wishes more pundits would do.

Selwood is a polarising figure for many AFL fans, many of whom dislike him because he's had a stunning run of success in a 335-game career that's seen him win three flags and been named an All-Australian six times.

Fearless around the ball and peerless as a captain, he's also attracted a lot of criticism from fans and pundits alike for 'ducking' when tackled in an effort to get a free kick for high contact.

In 2018 he told Talking Footy that he understands the tactic 'annoys people' but swore he'd keep doing it until the rules were changed.

source: Joel Selwood reveals 'I fear for my mum and wife' when he plays footy

Sounds like the attitude of someone who doesn't pay any tax 'but it's okay because its legal'.

AFL legend Leigh Matthews said it should be up to the tackler to ensure no contact was made with the head.
Interesting how Cats fans totally discredit Mathews opinion when he said Dustin Martin is the only player that compares to him and call him an old fool and so so.

But are happy to quote him when its suits them

You guys are really a 'special' breed of cat

I really doubt Selwood gives an actual s**t what some numpties on big footy reckons.

Yeah he ducked and played for free kicks. But he is also a 4-time premiership winner with one of if not the best winning records of any player who has ever touched a Sherrin.

It is not Selwood's problem he played within the laws of the game. It is the AFL who continually takes a soft utensil approach on staging and playing for free kicks. Until they start banning players for it, they will continue to play and stage for free kicks.

People should lay the blame on the AFL. Not Selwood and others.

Interesting how Cats fans totally discredit Mathews opinion when he said Dustin Martin is the only player that compares to him and call him an old fool and so so.

But are happy to quote him when its suits them

You guys are really a 'special' breed of cat
Just quoting the article in full instead of what you did in trying to use click bait misleading information to try and frame a narrative that Joel admiring that his tactics was cheating

You can take it or leave it at what matthews saids in the article…which is why I deleted it in the edit

it doesn’t in anyway change the fact that what you posted was incorrect

Remove this Banner Ad

Back