Have Port gone past the Crows?

Remove this Banner Ad

No, never will. they will always be Port Power. The Crows are much bigger and the oldest AFL club in the state with more success, more fans and lets face it, when the crows are up and about they run this city/state. clubs go through cycles and right now the crows are rebuilding and port are in their window. wont stay like this forever. these two clubs have real hate for each other and the fans hate each other. its not banter or light hearted fun its real hate. Crows are footy in SA

Crows are the default club for people who don't particularly care about football.

On that measure they'll likely always have the edge on Port in terms of membership numbers, but the gap has closed significantly in the past decade.

Also... slight correction on your statement:

"when the crows are up and about they attempt to run this city/state, but with very little success"

Crows are the default club for people who don't particularly care about football.

On that measure they'll likely always have the edge on Port in terms of membership numbers, but the gap has closed significantly in the past decade.

Also... slight correction on your statement:

"when the crows are up and about they attempt to run this city/state, but with very little success"
We dont attempt, champ.. we do!

We dont attempt, champ.. we do!

You’ve just been gazzumped by a rag tag bunch of Thebarton residents into reducing the size of your training ground. You attempt. Poorly.

Crows is prob 70% of the SA footy supporting public. 25% Port and 5% others. Surprisingly quite a few Hawthorn/Essendon/Carlton supporters as they won flags up until the crows joined.

So much like the Eagles... The crows could be terrible for decades but there would still be more crows fans than port fans

I reckon others is a lot higher than 5%, probably closer to 15-20% in my experience.

As far as relevancy, Port have been mainly relevant for the past decade now, the Crows were good for like 2 years of the past decade.

The Crows aren't what they were in the 90s or early 2000s. They were the epitome of that very South Australian Kick a Vic sentiment. There was enormous hatred towards Port as well, both through generational torment of their SANFL clubs and the so called "treachery" of 1990. It was all permeating and was definately echoed in the local media.

Through the passing of time, I think that Old Generational hatred has subsided a bit. People under 40 don't have the same SANFL loyalties, the old media of the Advertiser, radio and even TV where the Dinosaurs of the SANFL media don't have the same reach. The Crows brand has been tarnished in recent years and I think Covid has had a big effect on Adelaide's Membership/Crowds as they tended to be an older membership base.

The Crows are still the default team here, and they still are somewhat treated as such, they still enjoy the old moneyed/business crowd who would have been Norwood/Sturt supporters in the past, which helps their bottom line, but it definately ain't 70/30 split these days. It would be closer to 60/40 (not taking into account those who support other clubs).

Crows is prob 70% of the SA footy supporting public. 25% Port and 5% others. Surprisingly quite a few Hawthorn/Essendon/Carlton supporters as they won flags up until the crows joined.

So much like the Eagles... The crows could be terrible for decades but there would still be more crows fans than port fans

More like 55/35/15.

A lot of the younger generation are preferring Port Adelaide where as the Crows have a much older supporter base. Having a true home in Alberton, a deeper history is also a big asset for Port in attracting new fans. I have mates who follow Sturt and Norwood but follow Port Power for this reason.

In another 10 years I can see Port surpassing the Crows in numbers.

More like 55/35/15.

A lot of the younger generation are preferring Port Adelaide where as the Crows have a much older supporter base.

I can see this being the case if we manage to nab a flag.

If we continue under the agonisingly mediocre Hinkley reign, I don’t think we’d be overly appealing either.

More like 55/35/15.

A lot of the younger generation are preferring Port Adelaide where as the Crows have a much older supporter base. Having a true home in Alberton, a deeper history is also a big asset for Port in attracting new fans. I have mates who follow Sturt and Norwood but follow Port Power for this reason.

Work Working GIF

The Crows have marketed themselves as the default SA team since their inception so they’ll always have a larger ‘supporter’ base in this state. Memberships numbers will always be reasonably similar just because of the Adelaide Oval capacity restrictions.

Where Adelaide really fall down I think is off field. They should be an absolute powerhouse like West Coast are. But their administration is just happy to rest on their laurels and tick along comfortably while continually gifting jobs to people like Rucciuto and Nigel Smart. Port have been able to close the gap on the crows in the last ten years because of this.

you can tell kids are embarrassed to be crows fans now, but their dads are way too stubborn to let them make their own decisions

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Should of been Norwood and Port from the start.

Two real football clubs with long traditions and huge rivalry and real supporters.
Agree, divide Adelaide into the snooty east vs blue collar west, and it would have meant the crows actually had a proper clubhouse.
Crows are like a homeless dude living in a cardboard box in the parklands compared to Ports state of art training facilities and historic Alberton precinct clubhouse.
The irony was that Norwood bankrolled the court injunction halting ports entry to the afl, thus creating the crows, thus consigning themselves to the dustbin of history

No, never will. they will always be Port Power. The Crows are much bigger and the oldest AFL club in the state with more success, more fans and lets face it, when the crows are up and about they run this city/state. clubs go through cycles and right now the crows are rebuilding and port are in their window. wont stay like this forever. these two clubs have real hate for each other and the fans hate each other. its not banter or light hearted fun its real hate. Crows are footy in SA
The crows are a state embarrassment. An ongoing joke, a homeless, soulless cash cow for the SANFL.
I worked at footy park in the early days and your president, ceo, basheer etc were openly hostile towards the franchise & its supporters, they would count the takings after each crows game and watch the SANFL.
Just go down to west lakes & look at their clubhouse if you need a laugh.
The lawn in my backyard came from their no1 training oval & I have an official afl crows players jacket rescued from a trash bin where it was put by a certain player on their inaugural list.

The crows are a state embarrassment. An ongoing joke, a homeless, soulless cash cow for the SANFL.
I worked at footy park in the early days and your president, ceo, basheer etc were openly hostile towards the franchise & its supporters, they would count the takings after each crows game and watch the SANFL.
Just go down to west lakes & look at their clubhouse if you need a laugh.
The lawn in my backyard came from their no1 training oval & I have an official afl crows players jacket rescued from a trash bin where it was put by a certain player on their inaugural list.
What's wrong with a cash cow? That's the only reason your mob whinges about the prison bar guernsey every year isn't it?

What's wrong with a cash cow? That's the only reason your mob whinges about the prison bar guernsey every year isn't it?
Because the cash cow is drying up after decades of on field failures and incompetent management and now they can barely afford a new clubhouse and are struggling to find any consensus on where to put it or planning permission to do so, which is consistent with bastard birth

Because the cash cow is drying up after decades of on field failures and incompetent management and now they can barely afford a new clubhouse and are struggling to find any consensus on where to put it or planning permission to do so, which is consistent with bastard birth
Just not sure if talking finances in a thread comparing the two clubs is wise considering your clubs debt.

I see the PAPs supporters are up and about following the weekends win. How surprising.

Okay champ, how many April flags you won over the years? Adelaide are the kings and queens of chest beating mid year. The victory laps you guys were doing in 2017. Having duds like Rowe trolling with predictions like Adelaide will finish higher than Port and win both showdowns is a laugh.

Just not sure if talking finances in a thread comparing the two clubs is wise considering your clubs debt.
Since you asked for it
The crows just announced clearing their 4.5m debt this year
Crows Clear Debt
But they don’t have a home. Hardly a financial powerhouse by any stretch of the imagination.
Port have cleared 6m of their 12m debt in the last 2 seasons
Port Adelaide Football Club 2022 Financial Results
But we are about to complete a 30m upgrade to our house.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back