Have the Storm cracked the Melbourne market

Remove this Banner Ad

Membership,Sponsorships and crowd wise in Sydney the Swans kill the Storm against the same KPIs In Melbourne and I don't buy the Swans have been in Sydney BS!
When was the last time Storm sold out AAMI (which should be every home match as the Stadium only holds 30,050) and why don't they use much bigger Marvel that BTW can be easily configured for rectangle sports!

"In Melbourne, NRL ratings were up 39% to an average of 17,000, including an average of 37,000 for games involving the Storm."

In Sydney, the AFL match average dropped to 29,000, down -5.41%, with the Swans averaging 39,000 per game and Giants 34,000. The highest rating game in Sydney this year on Seven was Richmond v Sydney in Round 2 with 63,000.

Membership,Sponsorships and crowd wise in Sydney the Swans kill the Storm against the same KPIs In Melbourne and I don't buy the Swans have been in Sydney BS!
When was the last time Storm sold out AAMI (which should be every home match as the Stadium only holds 30,050) and why don't they use much bigger Marvel that BTW can be easily configured for rectangle sports!
Swans demolishes Storm in every metric possible. I know Wookie talks about Storm's pay TV dominance, but if you're only getting 20 thousand to watch a FTA game, you're not getting 100k watching it on pay tv. Likewise, Storm has a huge fanbase in Queensland. I say this as someone from Queensland. The fact is, Swans deliver higher TV ratings than storm (as provided above) and the AFL neutral game rates higher in Syd than an average NRL game in Melb. End of discussion, really. Let's move on.

"In Melbourne, NRL ratings were up 39% to an average of 17,000, including an average of 37,000 for games involving the Storm."

In Sydney, the AFL match average dropped to 29,000, down -5.41%, with the Swans averaging 39,000 per game and Giants 34,000. The highest rating game in Sydney this year on Seven was Richmond v Sydney in Round 2 with 63,000.

You know i wrote these right? This is literally my site and data.

the AFL neutral game rates higher in Syd than an average NRL game in Melb. End of discussion, really. Let's move on.

well this is at least a change of argument from the average Storm game in Melbourne part.

You are clearly really worked up. How about sleep on it and see if you can be a bit more reasonable tomorrow?

I wouldnt count on it.

You know i wrote these right? This is literally my site and data.

well this is at least a change of argument from the average Storm game in Melbourne part.

I wouldnt count on it.

AFL rates higher in Sydney than NRL does in Melbourne during every neutral game,
it doesnt, but hey you believe what you want to believe.

You literally just said neutral NRL games rate higher in Melbourne. Even though that's incorrect, and now you're ignoring the subject because i proved it was wrong?

By the way: i don't care which game is more popular, but I do care about the truth. So that's why I jumped in on this argument, but now there's no point to it considering there's actual stats that tells us how each code is performing in their respective states.

Weird for mods to create a thread like this on an AFL board. No reason why this topic couldn't have fit under the Non AFL admin thread.

Weird for mods to create a thread like this on an AFL board. No reason why this topic couldn't have fit under the Non AFL admin thread.

Well this is the second thread in a few days that has been spit off with the common denominator being a certain moderator lowering his colours first in argument and than in broader conduct. Might be a pattern there

because the AFL owns it and hence owns a normal winter weekend. And AAMI is a good stadium and I am sure, if you ask the members, they would prefer to play every game at AAMI. I swear i have written that a lot in the past week.

Well this is the second thread in a few days that has been spit off with the common denominator being a certain moderator lowering his colours first in argument and than in broader conduct. Might be a pattern there

Ive lowered nothing. If the data shows im wrong, then ill post and concede (and I wont really get the chance until Tuesday). If it doesnt, then yay for me i guess.

its the second thread that ive split out of an existing thread - this entire discussion has nothing to do with the main AFL crowds and ratings thread. In both cases no posts were deleted and nothing was edited. You have an issue talk to the mods or admins or use the report function.

Last edited:
the Storm get very little FTA coverage and its ratings are generally better than the Swans in Sydney when they do.

Well that’s good to know.

I also agree you can’t really compare Storm to Swans. Almost all the people I know who follow the Storm down here in Victoria are AFL supporters primarily. I also think Victorians are just more regular attenders of sport compared to other states, so there’s a bit going for Storm crowds there but there’s also the fact that if there’s a clash of fixture with a fan’s AFL team, I would’ve thought most would be watching the AFL as a priority. Add to that it’d be easier to find a friend that wants to go see AFL coz they follow the opposition team or just generally an AFL follower.

I’m regional and would’ve probably attended 5 times as many Blues games as Storm despite the obvious imbalance in recent success just because I can almost always schedule to go with family or friends to a Blues game but often hard to find someone keen to also pay to go watch a Storm game.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Interesting hypothetical if the Storm started losing what their popularity would be like.

I ask this because of what's happened to the Victory - last night they played arguably their greatest rival and drew just 5000 people. That's a good third or so of what would be expected to attend otherwise, even taking into account covid and the general downturn of the A-League. Which is a massive fall from the top, they used to be unquestionably the largest club in the league (and the only profitable one) yet they've had a poor year on the back of an ordinary season prior. And the fans have completely deserted the club.

Let's say the Storm have a couple of bad years in a row. Would the same thing happen with the fans? I assume it's a completely different group of people, there probably wouldn't be a lot of crossover between the 2.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting hypothetical if the Storm started losing what their popularity would be like.

I ask this because of what's happened to the Victory - last night they played arguably their greatest rival and drew just 5000 people. That's a good third or so of what would be expected to attend otherwise, even taking into account covid and the general downturn of the A-League. Which is a massive fall from the top, they used to be unquestionably the largest club in the league (and the only profitable one) yet they've had a poor year on the back of an ordinary season prior. And the fans have completely deserted the club.

Let's say the Storm have a couple of bad years in a row. Would the same thing happen with the fans? I assume it's a completely different group of people, there probably wouldn't be a lot of crossover between the 2.
I know it is about 10 years ago now, but the Storm losing all their points for the year for salary cap breaches is as low as you can get for a football team

I know it is about 10 years ago now, but the Storm losing all their points for the year for salary cap breaches is as low as you can get for a football team

They were still winning though weren't they? They went 14-10 in that year, finished top the year after and won the premiership the year after that. How would their fans react after a deplorable season or 2?

Funny ppl saying Storm haven't cracked Melbourne when all things being equal probably out do ratings afl does in Sydney.

Maybe this is reality check you all need

They were still winning though weren't they? They went 14-10 in that year, finished top the year after and won the premiership the year after that. How would their fans react after a deplorable season or 2?
playing a bunch of games that don't mean anything at all would kill me as a fan. and the cheating aspect would not have helped.

a whole season of dead rubbers. yuck

Yes that crowd at the soccer at AAMI last night was a shocker and just proves how fickle sports fans can be!
I'm sure the same would happen to the Storm if they ever ended in the bottom four for a few seasons.

playing a bunch of games that don't mean anything at all would kill me as a fan. and the cheating aspect would not have helped.

a whole season of dead rubbers. yuck

Maybe. But it's a different situation to getting your arse kicked every week - something a Storm fan would be very unfamiliar with.

Have the Storm cracked the Melbourne market?

In many ways they have and in some ways, they haven't. Crowds are one of the best in the NRL so that's a tick. Foxtel ratings is a huge tick, while FTA is where they should be with a meagre amount of games on 9 anyway and in all honesty who'd want to listen to 9's biased commentary anyway.

They've arguably got the best coach of any sport in Australia. He has this unbelievable ability to turn park players into the very best in the NRL. They also know how to recruit the right players too. finders talks about Islanders, well give me Ryan Papenhuyzen any day of the week first.

Where they continue to fail is, where it counts, at the grassroots level. They'll have to bring players into Victoria for the long term foreseeable future while this important area of the game is ignored. I don't know, but maybe the NRL are ok with this.

So what happens when they start losing? Well, that's a question people have been asking for 20 years. They asked what would happen when Cronk, Smith and Slater would no longer be around and look how that's turning out.

There's eventually going to come a time when the wheels fall off and they'll just have to ride it out as everyone else has done.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back