Have we just witnessed the quickest rebuild in AFL history?

Will Hawthorn make the 8 next year?

• Yes

Votes: 281 37.5%
  • No

Votes: 469 62.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Average age of yesterday's teams; Geelong: 25y 7 m, Hawthorn: 25y 6m
Average games; Geelong: 105.1, Hawthorn 105.1

Carlton and Melbourne are in rebuilds, Hawthorn are not.
Thats why I have been saying once the oldies are hawthorne are gone, they will need to replace them. With no draft picks this year, hawthornes yoof is looking pretty average. Apart from burton who is a gun, the rest is average players at best. If burton decide to leave at the end of 2018 then they are feked.

Don't be offended because Hawthorn have stolen your thunder yet again buddy.
Mate, come on, there is going a bit early and then there is your calls. Take out Hodge, take out Burgoyne and you've got a very big gap again. They certainly haven't stolen the thunder from Geelong. Geelong are lining up for a shot at the flag, they are a long way in front of Hawthorn right now.

16 premierships actually buddy. Just because the AFL doesn't appreciate them doesn't mean they're not there :thumbsu:

I'll give you a little preview of how unsuccessful your club truly is. Since your last finals win we've played in 25% of grand finals.
Does that mean that we have 22 flags?

Sweet :thumbsu:

Dangerfield is unequivocally the best player in the competition and an out and out superstar who was on another planet and destroyed us yesterday.
But my god...how quickly Geelong fans have forgotten where they were and what they were before being kissed on the dick by having him fall into their laps for a bag of chips and some skittles.
So you don't give Geelong any kudos for getting that trade done? Or getting Henderson and Tuohy?

So you don't give Geelong any kudos for getting that trade done? Or getting Henderson and Tuohy?

Patrick Dangerfield is far and away the best player in the competition and was handed to Geelong on a silver platter.

If the far and away best player in the competition wants to come to your club if you're any sort of professional sporting organisation you get the job done and Geelong got him for dramatically less than what he's worth without having to worry about legitimate competition from any other club due to him having grown up around there and only wanting to go there.

So forgive me if I'm not blown away by them securing him as Danger didn't exactly make their job difficult to do so, ensuring he got there for significant unders financially, trade wise and without threat from other clubs.

I'm honestly not sure how Henderson and Tuohy are relevant here? They're both probably B+ players who while certainly decent footballers are never going to be match winners and don't compare to the players stronger Cats sides previously had in those positions not long ago and theres a reason Geelong didn't face significant competition to secure them.

Whereas on the other hand, missing finals one year then getting a player handed to you who will likely be at least a dual Brownlow medallist by the end of his career who kicks 42% of your teams score in a 3 point win not even playing in his usual position is pretty ******* useful and goes an enormous way to freeing up your one other superstar in Joel Selwood and hiding/carrying the deficiencies of B-graders in the 22 in much the same way a prime Sam Mitchell used to do for us.

Patrick Dangerfield is far and away the best player in the competition and was handed to Geelong on a silver platter.

If the far and away best player in the competition wants to come to your club if you're any sort of professional sporting organisation you get the job done and Geelong got him for dramatically less than what he's worth without having to worry about legitimate competition from any other club due to him having grown up around there and only wanting to go there.

So forgive me if I'm not blown away by them securing him as Danger didn't exactly make their job difficult to do so, ensuring he got there for significant unders financially, trade wise and without threat from other clubs.

I'm honestly not sure how Henderson and Tuohy are relevant here? They're both probably B+ players who while certainly decent footballers are never going to be match winners and don't compare to the players stronger Cats sides previously had in those positions not long ago and theres a reason Geelong didn't face significant competition to secure them.

Whereas on the other hand, missing finals one year then getting a player handed to you who will likely be at least a dual Brownlow medallist by the end of his career who kicks 42% of your teams score in a 3 point win not even playing in his usual position is pretty ******* useful and goes an enormous way to freeing up your one other superstar in Joel Selwood and hiding/carrying the deficiencies of B-graders in the 22 in much the same way a prime Sam Mitchell used to do for us.
B+ is a pretty good score mate. They've got plenty of B+ players getting around which contributes to where they are now.

B+ is a pretty good score mate. They've got plenty of B+ players getting around which contributes to where they are now.

Mate I don't disagree they're decent players Tuohy and Henderson, but if someone kicks 42% of their teams score not even playing their natural position it shows two things.

1) That players ******* unreal
2) The other 21 blokes running out for Geelong are not contributing anything or anything close to what should be expected in a team sport

He is making an absurd difference to Geelong and they're absolutely blessed that someone that extraordinarily good at football happened to grow up there and want to come home for the price of a bag of chips and a can of coke right at the time they were finally falling back to the pack and had missed finals. They would not be much different at all with Henderson and Tuohy then their missed finals year, not much more than slightly better.

But take Danger out of there it's nothing close to a top 4 side.

Rebuilds can be done in many ways.

While we have been able to play some kids this year, (more than a few of which have shown real AFL quality), rebuilding via FA / trading is how we are approaching it. Same as Geelong.

Let's say (hypothetically) we get lever and Rockliff. Our ins next year vs the team on the weekend could be Cyril Birchall Stratton Omeara Frawley Rockliff Lever.

Tell me that team wouldn't be contending for a flag.

Hawthorn. Clarkson is just an unbelievable coach and may very well become the greatest coach in AFL history. In round 11, they scored three behinds to Ports 9 goals at half time. They were insipid. In round 12 they lost to the Gold Coast. Hawthorn then had the bye, returned and defeated Adelaide...in Adelaide, belted the Pies when their coaches career and season was on the line, drew with the Giants and lost to Geelong by a couple of points. All this in a year where two of their best and oldest players were traded away and their list has had a shake up. Hawthorn may actually contend next year and it's unbelievable to say, when guys like Robbo (yeah I know Robby) were explaining it was the end of an era! Overall, what are your thoughts and from my perspective, kudos to Clarkson (if you're Collingwood you've gotta ******* throw everything at this man surely).

The pies should pursue him but I'd love to see him rebuild the Suns

Footy would be better for it

I'm glad our coach is modest, he's saying four years and we will be winning cups again. Well over his average but it's good to be part of a modest club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Eh. Hodge still playing. Burgoyne maybe with one year left and still critically important. Sides shift when they lose those general-type players. Certainly not out of the woods yet.

Average age of yesterday's teams; Geelong: 25y 7 m, Hawthorn: 25y 6m
Average games; Geelong: 105.1, Hawthorn 105.1

Carlton and Melbourne are in rebuilds, Hawthorn are not.

So going on that Geelong are up s**t creek as well

B: Hardwick (14 games), Brand (26 games) Langford (60 games)
HB: Burton (19 games), Heatherley (5 games), Sicily (38 games)

Howe 27 games
Stewart 7 games
O'Brien 28 games
Hartung 57 games

Nah, not a rebuild. Those players are playing games for fun. :drunk:
Parfitt - 8 games
Kolodjashnij - 38 games
Menzel - 54 games
Bews - 41 games
Menegola - 21 games
Parsons - 12 games
Simpson - 2 games
Guthrie - 3 games

Then there's players who are currently injured that have claims to being best 22 or have played at stages this year

Cockatoo - 30 games
McCarthy - 27 games
Lang - 42 games
Buzza - 2 games
Gregson - 29 games
Cunico - 1 game
Thurlow - 35 games
Stewart - 12 games

And we're 2nd whilst rebuilding on the run.

We have a decent core of 25-27 year old players who may or may not be around for our next flag.

Our young brigade have shown signs of promise. Some have the potential to be stars. Others decent role players which every Premiership side needs.

We still have a long way to go but the past month has been nothing short of extraordinary by the master coach. Our young defence has been rock solid and I can't wait to see them after 50 and 100 games.

Nope. Just that Hawthorn and Geelong had similar experience profiles yesterday. Neither are rebuilding.
Yep, with all of Birchall, Stratton, Frawley and Gibson available those young defenders don't get a game. Hawthorn aren't rebuilding, It's injury that has resulted in those kids playing out of necessity.

They lost their first 4 games with the oldest side in the comp.

Parfitt - 8 games
Kolodjashnij - 38 games
Menzel - 54 games
Bews - 41 games
Menegola - 21 games
Parsons - 12 games
Simpson - 2 games
Guthrie - 3 games

Then there's players who are currently injured that have claims to being best 22 or have played at stages this year

Cockatoo - 30 games
McCarthy - 27 games
Lang - 42 games
Buzza - 2 games
Gregson - 29 games
Cunico - 1 game
Thurlow - 35 games
Stewart - 12 games

And we're 2nd whilst rebuilding on the run.
Lets not kid ourselves dangerfield makes your apparent rebuild look more impressive than it actually is, he is the reason your were you are. He has won you 2 games outright influenced many more and it compensates and masks almost every deficiency your list has. If your talking about injured players our depth players are all unavailable bar vickery and a couple of draftees. Just lost cousins for the season as well. No one actually knows how deep our squad actually goes so its premature to think were heading for a world of pain. Wait till next year and we actually have a bit of luck on the injury front.

The thread hasn't disappointed so far.

Subbed.
It really wasn't my intention. I genuinely wanted robust discussion, instead it was ransacked by some really bitter Geelong supporters. Feel sorry for you Hawk supporters dealing with their inferiority complex.

Thats why I have been saying once the oldies are hawthorne are gone, they will need to replace them. With no draft picks this year, hawthornes yoof is looking pretty average. Apart from burton who is a gun, the rest is average players at best. If burton decide to leave at the end of 2018 then they are feked.
You havent actually seen a great deal of our younger players this year. There all out injured the ones that arent playing so how exactly can you make a call that there no good? Typical illinformed assumption based on envy of what a successful club actually looks like unlike your rabble.

Back