Have we just witnessed the quickest rebuild in AFL history?

Will Hawthorn make the 8 next year?

• Yes

Votes: 281 37.5%
  • No

Votes: 469 62.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Or just "build" the Suns to start, because they've never reached any height to "re-build" from in the first place.

yep

I'm not sure how such talent can no develop and go on with it

wasted opportunity that could cost them 10-20 years

Parfitt - 8 games
Kolodjashnij - 38 games
Menzel - 54 games
Bews - 41 games
Menegola - 21 games
Parsons - 12 games
Simpson - 2 games
Guthrie - 3 games

Then there's players who are currently injured that have claims to being best 22 or have played at stages this year

Cockatoo - 30 games
McCarthy - 27 games
Lang - 42 games
Buzza - 2 games
Gregson - 29 games
Cunico - 1 game
Thurlow - 35 games
Stewart - 12 games

And we're 2nd whilst rebuilding on the run.

And how many times since your last premiership have you finished outside the 8 during this rebuild on the run

And how many times since your last premiership have you finished outside the 8 during this rebuild on the run
Once. What's your point.

Both teams aren't rebuilding as such, It's just one set of supporters decided to use it as an excuse after a run of poor performances earlier in the year, when in fact it was quite the opposite given you were fielding the oldest side in the league.

You can call it a rebuild now but that's due to injury.

So, just to summarise, Geelong are rebuilding on the run by playing kids in place of injured players, but Hawthorn aren't rebuilding by playing kids in place of injured players.

Can someone post the rules of rebuilding? They seem quite arbitrary and flexible depending on what team you follow.

What's a rebuild?????

It's a process that's undertaken when a club finally wakes up to the fact that topping up with players of a lesser quality than the retirees will never deliver a flag, and only serves to prolong an inevitable rebuild.

Once. What's your point.

Both teams aren't rebuilding as such, It's just one set of supporters decided to use it as an excuse after a run of poor performances earlier in the year, when in fact it was quite the opposite given you were fielding the oldest side in the league.

You can call it a rebuild now but that's due to injury.

That even in a rebuild on the run you still had a year where you missed the 8 - no 80 point drubbings but out of the 8 none the less and this is the first year for the Hawks to start that same process. The interesting thing is your own squad still has six players that may not be there in 2020 which seems to be the criteria in this thread for a team not to be classified as being in rebuild mode and in fact heading down the ladder.

Imo the early losses from the Hawks may have been as a result of a club being in shock (player discontent) with the way Lewis and Mitchell were moved on, new players coming into the club and BH players being promoted and nothing coming together onfield or like posters say they just sucked - then came the injuries and while posters across BF may disagree when you take a look at that backline and the number of games they've played, they've more than held their own and with Birchall, Frawley and Stratton still to come back and still having a couple of years left in them it's not all doom and gloom. The forward line has Gunston, O'Brien and Breust and Sicily with Cyril to come back so it too isn't looking too bad. What they need are some midfielders to support Mitchell and with Howe and Burton going into the middle and hopefully O'meara getting back out there and maybe being able to pick up another experienced midfielder then it too it's not looking as awful as some would like to believe. If they can score a couple of good FA's this year or trade well then like the cats were you would think they would back in contention sooner rather than later. The big test will be the impact that the loss of hodge and Silk will have on the team - it's a scary thought but others said we were done when buddy left, so who knows. Should the cats play in a gf then the mini rebuild has effectively taken 5 years but does it leave you in a better position than the Hawks with the retirements that will happen over the next couple of years - only time will tell. The swans are the only team not to have fallen out of the eight while rebuilding and don't look like doing so anytime soon, so really they are the only team that should be feeling pretty smug at the moment.

The funny thing is there are a few bomber supporters being quite gleeful and upbeat at the demise of the Hawks in this thread yet they are looking at the retirements of Watson, Goddard, Bellchambers, Stanton, baugley, zaharakis, Hurley over the same time frame of 2020 and they've achieved jack s**t - I wouldn't be going to early with the back slapping

Parfitt - 8 games
Kolodjashnij - 38 games
Menzel - 54 games
Bews - 41 games
Menegola - 21 games
Parsons - 12 games
Simpson - 2 games
Guthrie - 3 games

Then there's players who are currently injured that have claims to being best 22 or have played at stages this year

Cockatoo - 30 games
McCarthy - 27 games
Lang - 42 games
Buzza - 2 games
Gregson - 29 games
Cunico - 1 game
Thurlow - 35 games
Stewart - 12 games

it has been impressive, especially give you guys have been on the mark for over a decade

yep

I'm not sure how such talent can no develop and go on with it

wasted opportunity that could cost them 10-20 years

The number of high draft picks and highly rated juniors the Suns have had that either haven't turned out as expected through injury or lack of development, or have left the club or been delisted, is kind of mindblowing:

David Swallow
Harley Bennell
Sam Day
Josh Caddy
Dion Prestia
Daniel Gorringe
Seb Tape
Jaeger O'Meara
Henry Schade
Jarrod Garlett

All of those players were top 25 draft picks or mini-draft picks, including 7 of the top 13 picks from the 2010 National Draft, and only one of them remains at the club! That's before you even get to the pre-listed talent as well.

Don't be offended because Hawthorn have stolen your thunder yet again buddy.

Yeah they'll command a lot of attention during September I'm sure.

They still rely on Hodge, they'll lose him at the end of the year. It is a small sample size but Gunston and Breust's impact has diminished markedly this year now that they aren't winning the middle. Burgoyne can't have too long to go and their best forward will be 31 next year.

I may be underselling them but I'd wait more than a month to see whether or not they've successfully done something that usually takes 2 years to even get an idea of in terms of assessing its success.

If you wanna bring Richmond into it because you're a troll, let's talk about the 10 premierships we've won compared to your 9. 10 is more than 9 (I feel like I need to make that clear) and we've been shithouse since Thriller was released. Goes to show how s**t Geelong had been for 120 years.

I'm sure that's been a great source of comfort to you over the last little while

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They still rely on Hodge, they'll lose him at the end of the year. It is a small sample size but Gunston and Breust's impact has diminished markedly this year now that they aren't winning the middle. Burgoyne can't have too long to go and their best forward will be 31 next year.

Hodge as a player is cooked, he has slowed down a lot this year and it is evident with the number of frees he gives away being that fraction of a second late.

Where he will be sorely missed is as a playing coach. He acts as an extension of Clarkson and is really under rated just how important he is in setting up the rebounds

I'm really getting tired of the lazy comment that that the recent resurgence is on the back of the old hands. Burgoyne aside they've all been well replaced. Gibson cant get a game, Hodge is done, Mitchell and Lewis are gone, Roughead just can't make an impact.

Whether it ends up being successful or not, the rebuild is well under way.

Most of these kids have always been there, it is testament to just how brilliant a coach Clarkson is that he has got them lifting to fill the void left by Stratton, Birchall, Rioli, Frawley, Puopolo etc. Hardwick was a forward all his junior years, but Clarkson has found a role as a lock down small defender and he has smashed it. Duryea has been moved forward and has been a suprise as a lock down forward. Sicily has been moved back and has been really good as an intercept mark, likes to take it on running out of defence. Howe has found a role as a tagger and been really effective, tagging Sloane and Pendles out of the game. Burton is Burton. Mitchell is elite.

The difference in the Hawks before the bye and after the bye is not the senior player, they've struggled all year. It isn't the mid range players, they've also struggled most of the year. Its the kids.

Hodge as a player is cooked, he has slowed down a lot this year and it is evident with the number of frees he gives away being that fraction of a second late.

Where he will be sorely missed is as a playing coach. He acts as an extension of Clarkson and is really under rated just how important he is in setting up the rebounds

Exactly. I compared him the other day to a much better Tom Harley in terms of the onfield direction he provides. He will be very, very hard to replace.

Parfitt - 8 games
Kolodjashnij - 38 games
Menzel - 54 games
Bews - 41 games
Menegola - 21 games
Parsons - 12 games
Simpson - 2 games
Guthrie - 3 games

Cockatoo - 30 games
McCarthy - 27 games
Lang - 42 games
Buzza - 2 games
Gregson - 29 games
Cunico - 1 game
Thurlow - 35 games
Stewart - 12 games

Mate all you've done is listed the young players on your list. Every team has a bunch of kids.

What are you chasing here, some sort of validation? Are you unable to discuss anything without talking about your own team?

If you wanna bring Richmond into it because you're a troll, let's talk about the 10 premierships we've won compared to your 9. 10 is more than 9 (I feel like I need to make that clear) and we've been shithouse since Thriller was released. Goes to show how s**t Geelong had been for 120 years.
Geelong have won 16 premierships

Yeah. Just another another thread hijacked by the obsessed chest beating Cats supporters who have nothing better to do than continually try to hang s**t on Hawthorn at any opportunity. It's getting pretty boring.
I'm legit stunned at how this thread turned out from the get go. Literally Geelong and Essendon supporters having a dig at Hawthorn none stop. Hawks have turned it around immediately around the bye, it's been amazing to see.

Back