Have we just witnessed the quickest rebuild in AFL history?

Will Hawthorn make the 8 next year?

• Yes

Votes: 281 37.5%
  • No

Votes: 469 62.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Eh. Hodge still playing. Burgoyne maybe with one year left and still critically important. Sides shift when they lose those general-type players. Certainly not out of the woods yet.

Thats the thing. The Hawks did shift when they lost 2 general-type players Lewis and Mitchell. They were impotent for 2-3 months.

The rebuild was forced early and suprised most Hawks fans (and delighted everyone else!)

I think that is the point in the OP. Clarkson has turned this team around on the back of the kids.

You're right about not being out of the woods, don't think many Hawks fans think otherwise and I've no illusions that this isn't probably a bit of a purple patch, teams will figure out these kids over time. But, they have beaten Sydney away, Melbourne and Adelaide away. Halved a game with GWS and lost to the Cats due to an errant kick. These aren't small scalps and considering they were getting humped by all and sundry a couple of months ago, credit should be going to Clarkson.

Dangerfield is unequivocally the best player in the competition and an out and out superstar who was on another planet and destroyed us yesterday.
But my god...how quickly Geelong fans have forgotten where they were and what they were before being kissed on the dick by having him fall into their laps for a bag of chips and some skittles.
didn't even need priority picks

The number of high draft picks and highly rated juniors the Suns have had that either haven't turned out as expected through injury or lack of development, or have left the club or been delisted, is kind of mindblowing:

David Swallow
Harley Bennell
Sam Day
Josh Caddy
Dion Prestia
Daniel Gorringe
Seb Tape
Jaeger O'Meara
Henry Schade
Jarrod Garlett

All of those players were top 25 draft picks or mini-draft picks, including 7 of the top 13 picks from the 2010 National Draft, and only one of them remains at the club! That's before you even get to the pre-listed talent as well.

ouch

I hadn't realised how badly they faired in keeping the squad together

The number of high draft picks and highly rated juniors the Suns have had that either haven't turned out as expected through injury or lack of development, or have left the club or been delisted, is kind of mindblowing:

David Swallow
Harley Bennell
Sam Day
Josh Caddy
Dion Prestia
Daniel Gorringe
Seb Tape
Jaeger O'Meara
Henry Schade
Jarrod Garlett

All of those players were top 25 draft picks or mini-draft picks, including 7 of the top 13 picks from the 2010 National Draft, and only one of them remains at the club! That's before you even get to the pre-listed talent as well.

Take Swallow off that list mate.

"...haven't turned out as expected through injury or lack of development"

Sounds like a fairly apt description of David Swallow to me.

He did win a B&F, but yeah, I see your point.

He did win a B&F, but yeah, I see your point.

I think people had higher expectations than one good season at age 21-22.

By no means is his career over, but he certainly hasn't reached the heights expected of him so far, and I doubt he is likely to going forward, either. Will be a good player, but that's it, just "good". People expected he would be elite for a very long time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm legit stunned at how this thread turned out from the get go. Literally Geelong and Essendon supporters having a dig at Hawthorn none stop. Hawks have turned it around immediately around the bye, it's been amazing to see.

Mate, it's a month of footy. Sydney were 0-6. Richmond were flying. Gold Coast have had month after month of up and down footy. Freo have done it too. Every season - literally - half a dozen sides will have huge turnarounds in form over the space of a short time. People disagreeing with the sentiment of the thread aren't doing it out of spite, they're doing it because it's common sense

Hawks aren't rebuilding,they've found their form and playing a better brand of footy no doubt but still don't run deep with pure talent and unfortunately won't have any picks this year of substance to choose from.

Can we have one all-purpose "Opposition posters to rant and rave abut the Hawks list" so they can talk in circles with themselves?

Nothing interesting in the several threads has come up in 2 months of discussion. Broken record.

Rebuilds don't work

Currently, both the Crows and Giants are in the top four off the back of extensive rebuilds (more of a build in the Giants case but whatever), and the Hawks achieved four flags off the back of a rebuild. I could list more ideas but you get the idea, the case where rebuilds don't work are where the club culture is off, I.e. Brisbane, Gold Coast.

I think Clarkson is a superb game day coach who will s**t all over an opposition coach who shows any sign of weakness

He still has many weapons - the loss of a couple of players doesn't turn Hawthorn to s**t. Especially when Mitchell is a massive win.

Don't forget while Hawthorn were champing it up the Box Hill Hawks were there or thereabouts in the VFL for years

This is a very even season and there are no champions, a lot of mediocre ones and a couple not so good

Teams can change throughout a season. Hawks are learning how to use Mitchell.

You don't have to bottom out. It's a myth. Look at Geelong and Sydney.

Hawks are going OK. Should they bottom out? Might be better in the long run. It's a tempting route to take. But they might not have to.

Back