mcpharlap

Senior List
Jun 15, 2005
perth WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle. Q.P.R
The first time in what feel's like forever I am genuinely excited about our team and our future. I know we have a long long way to go from games like Saturday night's blockbuster between Port and Richmond and that level but for the first time in a long time it is not all doom and gloom. If tonight was an example of the footy Andy Brayshaw along with Cerra And Serong are going to deliver Well I can't wait. Just hope we can keep all of them.

In order not to jinx anything, I can neither confirm nor deny that I believe or not believe that we may or may not have turned the proverbial corner with a side that may or may not be beginning to gel with or without a game plan that may or may not be an improvement on past (or future) years that could or could not lead to more (or less) success on the field to the point where we may or may not play finals.

But, I could be wrong (or right) about this...

The MVP thread is indicative. Cerra, Brayshaw and Darcy in most peoples top 5 - and for many were the top 3. The young (high draft picks) are starting to pick up the load, instead of a billion young players (hogging all the rest on the bench too) being carried by a few older players. Was always going to happen, I'm pleased that it's happening this early given that their best football years are still in a few years time.

Probably, staying up at the gold coast for an extended period helped them gel as a group, they looked like they were playing for each other. It's probably quite timely in the sense that, you don't want a group of talented young folks getting flogged weekly for too many years due to their inexperience and slender frames or you end up as a revolving door like Melbourne was. Some good wins and a sense of belief and they'll want to stick together.

Hawthorn was dire, and starting to look like they need a rebuild before they make the SB Nation Collapse series as yet another team that tried to prop up the remains of a dynasty. Not sure beating them proves much.

With that said our kids are starting to look really good. If we can re-sign them they'll be the group that pushes us up the ladder and into contention again. There's a lot to play out, but this is the most positive I've felt since the Port game last year.

I think you can tell the difference from when you are playing OK, but the other team is playing like crap so you are winning, to when you are genuinely playing well. This game, plus v Collingwood & St Kilda (after 1/4 time) we have genuinely played well imo. You just have to look at our disposal efficiency across the board as a guide (78% in non-perfect conditions last night per afl.com!).
Also, I love that our bit/role players include guys like Aish & Hill that are top draft picks with talent.
Frederick actually looked out of place as he was fumbly last night, when we are playing OK there are a lot of fumbles and mis-kicks and single players don't stand out like that.

Over the last couple of weeks we have definitely developed a hardness that has been missing from our team for too long. Whereas some of the more mature teams have been able to out-muscle our young team and beat-up on us on their way to beating us, recently we have begun out-tackling and out-contesting the opposition. This is a significant change - we will no longer be intimidated!

Just wanted to say guys, that is a genuine pleasure to not only see you beat Hawthorn, but do it with kids like Brayshaw, Cerra and Serong leading the way - instead of the old guard in Fyfe, Mundy and Walters.

This is against Hawthorn's completely traded in midfield of Mitchell, O'Meara, Wingard, Scully etc.

Keep up the good work!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At the same point last year we had one extra win and better percentage. However I felt our wins were very reliant on superlative performances from Fyfe and Walters, with cameos from guys like Brayshaw and Cerra.

This year it feels like the reverse. I think our next generation is what is delivering this year, and it is this that is generating the excitement.

I"m very bullish on us.

Apart from Mundy and maybe Hill and Colyer, our best 30 players have another 3 years before a retirement.

Best 22 under 22 years old list of: Young, Henry, Serong, Sturt, Brayshaw, Cerra, Darcy, Logue and maybe Cox. Plus green shoots in Valente, Watson, Frederick, Crowden, Schultz, and Duman as solid depth.

NGA and F/S list of Walker, Western, Motlop, Farmer and McAdam may net some best 22 players.

At the same point last year we had one extra win and better percentage. However I felt our wins were very reliant on superlative performances from Fyfe and Walters, with cameos from guys like Brayshaw and Cerra.

This year it feels like the reverse. I think our next generation is what is delivering this year, and it is this that is generating the excitement.
I distinctly remember Brayshaw making huge last quarters in a couple games back to back last year that were similar to his output now.

There was already hope there, I think the main thing is that we finish off the season without falling away, we would always fall away post bye in the last couple of years with Ross, if we have turned a corner then we need to finish out this season.

We have the draw to do it too so there are really no excuses.

I distinctly remember Brayshaw making huge last quarters in a couple games back to back last year that were similar to his output now.

There was already hope there, I think the main thing is that we finish off the season without falling away, we would always fall away post bye in the last couple of years with Ross, if we have turned a corner then we need to finish out this season.

We have the draw to do it too so there are really no excuses.
I remember him having a great game against the Dogs, but we got pumped in that one.

I think from here on in we should be talking in this thread as opposed to the 'finals' threads. Not that finals are an impossibility but it's probably not on our radar this year.

I think we have turned a corner, far more exciting and fluid to watch this year than the last 4.

We've shown signs against the best of them and have been competitive in most losses. Adelaide and Hawks were ripe for the plucking but Saints and Collingwood revealed another gear we haven't seen before... All from a completely decimated side. Having some of those keys in and we'd be tracking closer to finals contention.

Carlton is tracking around the same as us, perhaps just a nose ahead which makes the loss heartbreaking. But Jlo needs to learn coaching lessons too and he just received a massive one.

I can still see light at the end of the tunnel, in fact it’s getting closer. We fought and defended that game out honourably last night. Just need to find/develop some decent forwards but that’s an area we’ve totally neglected in our list management for years so it’ll take time.

P.s. the finals threads are ridiculous imo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back