Have we Turned a corner

Remove this Banner Ad

Need to improve our scoring before i think we have officially turned the corner. We are averaging 38.6 pts a game since returning to perth. Wet weather hasn't helped but your not going to win many games by not getting to 50 pts.

Even with the shorter quarters we should be aiming for around 10 goals a game.

Need to improve our scoring before i think we have officially turned the corner. We are averaging 38.6 pts a game since returning to perth. Wet weather hasn't helped but your not going to win many games by not getting to 50 pts.

Even with the shorter quarters we should be aiming for around 10 goals a game.

Fair enough.

New coaches always get the defensive systems right first so it was expected to some degree. I think we'll get better at that over time.

Not yet for me. We're hanging in by a thread in some games because of our injury depletions. I mean the defence is playing extraordinarily well all things considered. But it must be feeling pretty knackered after games. Luke Ryan looks like he could play for 6 hour matches at times!

It's all about 2021 now for me. This season is 'cooked' as far as Finals (whatever mathematical slim chance there happened to be..) was concerned. I mean I think it's still mathematically possible, but we'd have to win all our remaining games and score on some level akin to mentalistic rampage. Not going to happen. I'll be happy with debuting whoever we have left to try and seeing what they can offer from 2021 onwards. I just feel Longmuir is a tad too conservative at this stage of his coaching career, but considering he's still a "rookie" he has impressed me more than not. I'm curious to see what Henry, Valente and even forgotten man Tom North can do - if anything. Then there's Pina, Butters etc.....they just need to get selected!

I think 2021 is a year where Finals is a must, or else....there could be trouble.

I think from here on in we should be talking in this thread as opposed to the 'finals' threads. Not that finals are an impossibility but it's probably not on our radar this year.

I think we have turned a corner, far more exciting and fluid to watch this year than the last 4.

We've shown signs against the best of them and have been competitive in most losses. Adelaide and Hawks were ripe for the plucking but Saints and Collingwood revealed another gear we haven't seen before... All from a completely decimated side. Having some of those keys in and we'd be tracking closer to finals contention.

Carlton is tracking around the same as us, perhaps just a nose ahead which makes the loss heartbreaking. But Jlo needs to learn coaching lessons too and he just received a massive one.
I really do think we are ahead of the Blues at this minute for two reasons.

One, the number of best 22 missing from each team.

Two, The age demographic of their list.They have 6 players over 30 and 5 of them played on the weekend. Dockers only have one.

The Saints game was the one for me that showed we are capable. A brilliant come-back win. Feel like we need to hang on to the improvement and obvious heart the team are playing with. Looking forward to the last few games with some tests against some good opposition.

Longmuir's plan this year has been to turn us into a possession style team like the Eagles and Magpies, lift our disposal efficiency and limit the massive amount of turnovers that lead to opponents scoring which was trademark for a lot of the last 3 years under Lyon. Yet in the game against Carlton we seemed to go away from that and especially Wilson and Ryan would just bomb it out of full back down the boundary as far as they could with seemingly no plan. I think we have a lot of young talent now and we have turned a corner but in certain games or even just quarters we seem to panic and abandon the new game plan.

Longmuir's plan this year has been to turn us into a possession style team like the Eagles and Magpies, lift our disposal efficiency and limit the massive amount of turnovers that lead to opponents scoring which was trademark for a lot of the last 3 years under Lyon. Yet in the game against Carlton we seemed to go away from that and especially Wilson and Ryan would just bomb it out of full back down the boundary as far as they could with seemingly no plan. I think we have a lot of young talent now and we have turned a corner but in certain games or even just quarters we seem to panic and abandon the new game plan.
Wet weather remember. People were complaining about playing the short chip game in the wet a few weeks back. Play that game on a dry deck and I think we look a lot better than we did. The weather hasn't really got the memo regarding our new game style.

Fair enough.

New coaches always get the defensive systems right first so it was expected to some degree. I think we'll get better at that over time.

Yeah new coaches always prioritize defence. And what Jlo has done with an undermanned defense is incredible.

You can see the new style and game plan we are playing but just not capitalising on the scoreboard. And don't look like blowing teams away yet. Hawthorn game perfect example should have been a 6 goal win.

I suppose after 4 years straight of low scores i was expecting a bit more and perhaps there is still leftover issues from the ross era where the players dont believe or have confidence they can kick high scores and its still the norm.

Fixing that I50delivery and forward structure needs the be priority in off season. Everything else is tracking along pretty well.

And better setshot kicking from everyone. Look at collingwood game kicked 10.1 and was the difference.

I think now that we are out of the finals race, we can now find out if we have turned a corner, previous years the team has fallen apart when out of the race, now is the chance for the team to show up and still get some wins in the back end of the season.

I think now that we are out of the finals race, we can now find out if we have turned a corner, previous years the team has fallen apart when out of the race, now is the chance for the team to show up and still get some wins in the back end of the season.
It will be interesting, many people are starting to say they think the bottom 5-6 may really bomb out in the last few rounds by being stuck up in Qld with nothing really to play for in such a weird season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's Freo, it's alway two steps forward, a punch in the guts, and a step and a half back. There are no corners, just continuous uphill slog. Even in 2013 it looked like we had to work twice as hard as everyone else to achieve the same result.

Considering how undermanned our defence is and how inconsistent our midfield is, we somehow have the best PA in the league. Granted, we have played a few games in some really wet weather, I feel it’s worth applauding how well that aspect of our game is beyond singling out Cox and Ryan for their continued great efforts of late

On the flip side we have the second worst PF by some margin and highlights the midfield issues we have in terms of delivery and a lack of a permanent, consistent small forward and second (and third) tall options to assist the great crabernator

Considering how undermanned our defence is and how inconsistent our midfield is, we somehow have the best PA in the league. Granted, we have played a few games in some really wet weather, I feel it’s worth applauding how well that aspect of our game is beyond singling out Cox and Ryan for their continued great efforts of late

On the flip side we have the second worst PF by some margin and highlights the midfield issues we have in terms of delivery and a lack of a permanent, consistent small forward and second (and third) tall options to assist the great crabernator

Yeah I think the time is now where Hogan gets plonked at CHF for the rest of the season and Henry is next to him

The list we’re developing is nearly as talented as we’ve had (Connolly era imo was our most talented), if we can add a few more pieces and get everyone fit I can see us jumping in to the top 6 in 2021 and challenge seriously from 2022 onwards.

Injuries are key, IF we can play Walters and Fyfe forward often that will help - we still lack the X-factor forward but if those two are down there for half a game that will be a source of goals for us.

The list we’re developing is nearly as talented as we’ve had (Connolly era imo was our most talented), if we can add a few more pieces and get everyone fit I can see us jumping in to the top 6 in 2021 and challenge seriously from 2022 onwards.

Injuries are key, IF we can play Walters and Fyfe forward often that will help - we still lack the X-factor forward but if those two are down there for half a game that will be a source of goals for us.
Fyfe, Walters, Sturt and Henry is well above average x-factor in theory.

We just need to finish the year well and make finals next year Because young serong brayshaw And cerra are all out of contract next year
There's some buzz that Young and Serong negotiations to extend are well in train and their signatures are a good chance to be inked on those contracts in the next few weeks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back