Have you evee gotten over your team losing a Grand Final?

AFL Club
West Coast
I got over 2015 8 seconds after the siren. We had no business being there. I knew it before the game started and the result went exactly as I expected.

It wasnt a lost opportunity. It was a opportunity we didnt actually deserve if you ask me

2005 still hurts though
2018 eradicated the pain of 15.

What hurt about 15 was we completely shat the bed. It could have defined the club and those players for the rest of their lives.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

raffrox

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle

D23D

Premium Platinum
AFL Club
North Melbourne
It took a long time but I eventually got over 98. Had a work mate from Adelaide and I spent a few days there over the years and enjoyed the footy banter and the general footy die hard attitude there.
He took me to an SANFL GF at Football park (is that what their old ground was called). It was around 06/07.
Can’t exactly remember but it was the year the bulldogs won their 3rd GF in a row against North Adelaide I think (white jumper, red v). It was a great atmosphere. I was in a members area so wasn’t surrounded by hordes of bogans!
I’ve had a lot of beer and wine since but seem to remember twin brothers from the dogs playing hard and well and nude nut Heart (or was it Smart) playing very well for North.
That GF plus following holidays at the Barossa and Coffin Bay made me realise the state of SA wasn’t filled with a bunch of campaigners!
So yeah, took a long time but finally got there. Well I think so - this is the first time I’ve really thought about it!

Brick Loosener

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Richmond
Collingwood supporters have seen more heartbreak and tears than Liz Taylor's divorce attorney.
Not really.
The only times they've been any good you could spend an entire footy season touring Europe killing fascists and Nazis. Far more entertaining that sitting at home holding your cousin's hand listening to the Pies win over the wireless.

flylikeaneagle

All Australian
AFL Club
West Coast
We had your measure back then so not sure about 2015. I think we won 7 derbies in a row around that time.
Freo was a sitting duck half way through 2015, at the end of the regular season the minor premier had never been less favoured to win the flag. We towelled you up by 4 goals in round 20, and you limped past a depleted Sydney in the QF, you would have had a 20-30% chance in the granny.

citizen-erased

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Essendon

We'd have at least had a back to back to show for one of the better teams of the AFL era (lions and hawks got their 3peats, Cats had 3 in 5)
17 flags would have us leading the league.
That list was decimated following the loss. Had no chance of trying to sustain the era.

caloschwaby

The One and Only
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Celtics, Renegades, Packers
Not really.
The only times they've been any good you could spend an entire footy season touring Europe killing fascists and Nazis. Far more entertaining that sitting at home holding your cousin's hand listening to the Pies win over the wireless.
Cringe.
While Tigers were stuck in minnow land for decades, Collingwood were consistently making finals, made a few Granny's and won a couple too!
Collingwood have never been bad for more than 5 years at a time and it's hard for you to admit.

emuboy

Club Legend
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
South Fremantle, Sturt
I do hear a lot of Dockers fans talk about how they got closest to the Hawks and the game got away from them. Yet I don’t recall them ever really being in it, a few late goals flattered the scoreline.
I agree with this.

Hawthorn always had Fremantle's measure in the 2013 Grand Final, the Dockers having no Plan B when the Hawks played and beat them at their own game. Never once did Fremantle look like they were going to win the Grand Final, and never once were the Dockers in front in the scoreboard. The final margin was only 15 points, but this was flattering to the Dockers who kicked late goals in junk time, and it was obvious all afternoon that Hawthorn would lift up the premiership cup. It may as well have been a 75-point win to the Hawks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

emuboy

Club Legend
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
South Fremantle, Sturt
My WAFL team South Fremantle Bulldogs had a golden era in the years after WW2, taking out the 1947, 1948, 1950, 1952, 1953 and 1954 premierships and being runner up on a number of occasions. Unfortunately, I wasn't born to see this. Since the mid 1950s South's achievements have been more modest, winning premierships in 1970, 1980, 1997, 2005 and 2009, which isn't too bad considering the long premiership droughts of other teams in this completion, such as Perth which haven't been in the GF since 1978.

However, South Fremantle have lost eight other Grand Finals in the past 50 years. While the number of lost GF's is a problem for the club, it is the way that they have lost them that makes it worse. In 1979 (against East Fremantle), 1992 (East Fremantle) and 1999 (West Perth) the Bulldogs were hot favorites, but played poorly on the day and were beaten (although not thrashed) by the Sharks and Falcons. Worse were the 1975 (West Perth), 1989 (Claremont), 2001 (East Perth) and 2006 (Subiaco) Grand Finals, where the Bulldogs received thrashings by 104, 69, 82 and 83 points respectively. Only once in a GF loss during this time, 1981 against the Claremont Tigers did South play well on GF day but were beaten but not disgraced by a better team on the day and for the season.

While I am too young to remember the 1970s GFs it was always disappointing to see South under-perform on GF day, but in recent years South have had a problem even making a Grand Final. In 2016 and 2017 it wasn't really the Bulldogs' fault, as they had to play a Peel Thunder team which had been controversially stacked with Fremantle Dockers players, but 2018 really rankled. South crushed West Perth by 98 points in the QF and were very competitive against unbeaten Subiaco in the 2SF, leading for most of the first half before losing by 3 goals. However, coming up against West Perth again in the PF South showed none of their great form, turning in a lethargic performance and never looking like winning. West Perth advanced to the GF, and Subiaco made them look absolutely stupid, the Lions thrashing a hopelessly inept Falcons team by 83 points in a game so one sided many West Perth supporters were leaving before half time, the Lions going through the season unbeaten. While South would never have beaten Subicao on GF day, it has peeved me ever since that an inexplicably poor Preliminary Final display cost them the chance of even playing in the Grand Final.

kriles76

All Australian
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn
In my living memory, ‘84 and ‘12 haunt because we were ahead for significant portions of the game but the opposition ran over the top of us. ‘85 we were never in the hunt.

But ‘87 also rankles. We were just about to finish the H&A season as minor premiers but Stephen Kernahan kicked an after the siren goal to win the game for Carlton against North to see them finish top.

We smashed Sydney in the QF and were more than matching Carlton in the second semi before Dunstall did his ankle to see him miss the rest of the season. Lost the game and came up against a rampant Melbourne in the PF. Just got through and then came up against Carlton sans Dunstall on a blistering hot day against a team with a long break. We were in it until the early stages of the second quarter but fell away. Can’t help but think if we finished minor premiers and not lost Dunstall we’d have beaten them.

AFL Club
Geelong
2008 was a write off but beating a far better team in 2009 made up for it
2008 will always hurt, a missed opportunity is a missed opportunity for life. But as a supporter it did make me proud that our group accepted it & used it as a driving force for our 2009 flag!....Some clubs post loss ( Crows 2017 & Port 2007 ) fracture & disappear.

Great8

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Manchester United, Juventus,
1999 hurt like hell but they lost the following week which made up for it in some way.
It also was the catalyst to 2000.
I was more upset about the 2001 GF in which I think we took injured players in and paid the price

Top Bottom