Have you evee gotten over your team losing a Grand Final?

Remove this Banner Ad

Not quite. I started off as a Pies fan (from about 2008-2013), and the Swans were my 2nd favorite team. Then I was just a Swans fan from there.

What?
That's just silly. I don't understand that behaviour at all. You stick with what you start with. Good times or bad times.

2005 hurts way more than 2015.

2005 still has the what ifs, especially with injuries.

2015 was just embarrassing over the summer, and it felt like, since confirmed by the players, that we were happy to be there.

Was at the GF in 2015 and was over West Coat losing before the game had even ended (3qtr time).

We were thoroughly outplayed by a far more clinical side. Hard to rue missed opportunities on that basis.

I got over losing in 1999 as I really thought we were the 6th best side. On the day itself hoped to win of course but overall for season and long afterwards due to not feeling like we were a big chance of a flag that year was very very easy to move on from. Any other grand final loss stays with you forever just as the glory of five winning grand finals you never forget.

2012 still hurts. By all the KPI's won the battle but lost the war.

Pulsating match, but inaccurate, and not hard enough for long enough. And bloody Morton!

Possibly cost us the 4-peat, although Buddy's defection gave us extra motivation in the 2014 GF.

2006 - No hard feelings, it was fair for both Sydney and West Coast to split them one each.

2014 - Was over it pretty quickly, we were outplayed on the day by one of the greatest sides of all time.

2016 - I don't think I will ever be truly over this game, from the build up (All AFL media was focused on the Dogs), the free kick count and non-paid free's on the day which peaked with the non free to Hanners when he stuffed his knee and finally walking out of the ground at the end of the day just to be jumped by two bulldogs fans who shoved me to the ground and gave my nephew a black eye.

It's funny cause I actually know a lot of dogs fans who are actually very reasonable, but even in the aftermath of both 2014 and 2016 I got given a lot more crap by dogs fans than I did by Hawks fans (In which I received none), find it a tad strange as if you have just won a grand final wouldn't you rather just go out and celebrate the win rather than trying to create trouble?

I will never get over 2017. our best and only chance the past 20 years to win another flag and we blew it..now we are on the slide and window has closed.
going to be a few tough years ahead.
Least you not in denial. Well done on seeing where your club is at right now. One of the very few it seems.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I could barely sit through a 5 minute highlights package of the 2012 grand final loss.

I re-watched the game in full for the first time since grand final day the night before the 2014 grand final.

After that point in time, I actually watch the 2012 grand final multiple times a year. The taste of defeat is erased by the sweet taste of victory with 13-14-15.

I could barely sit through a 5 minute highlights package of the 2012 grand final loss.

I re-watched the game in full for the first time since grand final day the night before the 2014 grand final.

After that point in time, I actually watch the 2012 grand final multiple times a year. The taste of defeat is erased by the sweet taste of victory with 13-14-15.

The 2012 Grand Final is also just a very good game of football, a heap of momentum changes, some great highlights and a grandstand finish.

I have actually watched 2006 on a fair few occasions as well, simply because it was a good game of football to watch (Actually a better game of football than the 2005 Grand Final (With the exception of the final result of course)).

Ranking order

1983 - Fitzroy losses in QF and 1SF - After the QF loss I told my dad, this one I will never get over with, and I was right. Still don’t want to think about it, now it gets me even sad how things may have gone different for the Lions if they made the Grannie.

2018 - Tigers outing of the Preliminary Final. Most recent. Can’t watch the replay.

1982 - Tigers Grand Final loss to the Blues. Bit irritating but I can watch the game again.

That’s it.

Last edited:
Hawthorn smacking us in 1991 still hurts as much as the smacking they gave us in 2015.
It does, but not like the others.
We were the best team in 1991, winning the minor premiership by 3 games and with a % of 162. It should have been by 4 games, what with losing the last game to Fitzroy who used that win to avoid the spoon.
But after losing the first final (the only one we were going to get at home) it just felt as if we had spent our fun tickets and were running on empty. Having to go back to Melbourne 3 times in a row, it just felt like 'not our year' by the time GF day rolled round. Beaten by the play finals in Victoria rules, the travel, the lack of finals experience, playing in our first GF, having to do the GF parade and all the media stuff, it was just too much. And it felt that way before the bounce.

Essendon supporters still not over 99 prelim :), we were not even top 4 that year but got there somehow, so the loss did not hurt, 93 however

Remove this Banner Ad

Back