Have you evee gotten over your team losing a Grand Final?

Remove this Banner Ad

2012 still hurts. By all the KPI's won the battle but lost the war.

Is that more to do with the expectations that Hawthorn should have had it in the bag and dropped a certain 4-peat? Most supporters would be thrilled with 1 flag let alone a 3peat and be angry over the preceding year. Some may argue a little karma over the 2008 flag snatch that should have seen Geelong with a 3-peat.

No cats fan will ever truthfully argue that 2008 didn’t hurt.
There are 50 moments in that game where we go ‘if we’d done that differently maybe we’d have won’ which is odd considering the final margin and the fact that Hawthorn played a genuinely good game. But knowing how much better our best was than everyone - I’m biased but I don’t think I’ve seen any team play better sustained football than us across 07-08 and the first half of 09 - it makes it hard to take.

As much as I hated watching the Hawks succeed later, it reinforced how much respect they deserve as a club and how good the 08 side was destined to eventually become.

The other losses I can probably cop. In 89, 92, 94 and 95 we were beaten by sides with better claims.

The 2013 prelim burns a bit, not so much because it was Hawthorn per se but it was a side that we were always just a bit too good for during the curse years and we controlled the match, and then a week later I’m certain we’d have been able to beat Freo

You never totally get over any grand final that was lost. The pain may subside but may flare up again once you think about it or see some old footage.

Don't remember 1991 and have no desire to watch it.
I was a wreck after 2005 and didn't talk footy until the start of the 2006 season.
2015 was embarrassing, but I felt we were on the verge of something exciting, so it didn't bother me as much. Plus I was older haha. 2018 more than made up for it.

Would love to knock over Hawthorn in a Grand Final though!

Yeah we were pumping roids into our dicks. It was a very specific gameplan.

Enjoy the extra yards you got from Angus Monfries’ Bionic limbs?

gaaayyyy

Is that more to do with the expectations that Hawthorn should have had it in the bag and dropped a certain 4-peat? Most supporters would be thrilled with 1 flag let alone a 3peat and be angry over the preceding year. Some may argue a little karma over the 2008 flag snatch that should have seen Geelong with a 3-peat.
Most likely would not have 3peated had we won 12 and felt good about ourselves. But any GF loss still stings, especially close ones.

Who do you go for? GWS, West Coast, Brisbane, St. Kilda, Fremantle or Port Adelaide? I can't quite get a gauge...
Canberra Raiders who won 89, 90 & 94 (but lost in 87 & 91)
ACT Brumbies who won 01 & 04 (but lost in 97, 00 & 13)

a grand final is a grand final and winning / losing them elicits the same emotions regardless of the sport and I'm passionate about all my teams.

Last edited:
Big Brumbies fan but that was a great run by the Raiders. Can't call it a great single era, as it was really two great separate sides that were back to back. The first part was the Queensland era of Meninga, Belcher, Walters, Coyne and the second was the local era of Daley, Stuart and Clyde.

Last edited:
The 1999 prelim hurts to this day more than other GF loss.

P.S. Don't tell any Blues supporter I said that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Got over the lost GF in a week.

Will never get over how badly the media treat us.

Was disappointed after 2017 but proud of that season overall. It's not easy winning in this league especially when certain teams have more success than others for example Hawthorn, Geelong, West Coast, Collingwood or Sydney

84 grand final for me, being 20 odd points up at 3/4 time to be over run by Essendon.
I remember it well, as it was the day that I became a hawks supporter. Winning in 86 was a great feeling.

a grand final is a grand final and winning / losing them elicits the same emotions regardless of the sport and I'm passionate about all my teams.
Oh okay didn't realise you were talking about Rugby haha

I have gotten over 2004 but I still can't watch it on tv. Same for Fitzroy losing the 1981 Semi by 1 point to Collingwood or the 1983 Qualifying Final by 3 points to Hawthorn. Could never watch those games again.

Just wonder how St Kilda supporters cope with 2009 & 2010? 2009 was an amazing season for them. How they didn't win that year is amazing! They won their first 19 games, lost the next two by 2 & 5 points & lost the Grand Final by 12 points. 3 losses by less than 20 points for the whole year!

The calibre of certain Saints Bigfooty members at the time didn’t give me much degree of sympathy. The saints posters circa 2009-2015 had some of the biggest miscreants to ever own a computer

Disinterested teen in 2001. Might've paid more attention had I known that was it until at least my 30s.

Seeing Bomber fans lining up for GF tickets before the prelim against the Blues even started was only topped by those same Dons supporters breaking down in tears when the Blues beat them!

How'd they watch the game?

Can't imagine any future grand final loss will hurt as much as 2013-2016. Couldn't possibly be that bad again. Used to go to all the games. Come 2015 didn't go to a single one. Back into it now but the 'loyal supporter' part is finished. No sitting around until the final siren when we're going to lose. When we're eliminated from finals contention, season's over and don't bother watching on TV let alone going in person.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back