Have you evee gotten over your team losing a Grand Final?

Remove this Banner Ad

In 72, I was still a little kid, so I didn't understand what happened. Looking back, watching the replay now and understanding a bit more about the game, I do think Carlton got lucky. They tried a few things, they all came off, kicked insanely straight (18.3 at half time). I reckon if that GF was played again, Richmond win 8 out of 10 - but Carlton got it right on the day. At the time, I couldn't understand how Richmond (easily the more talented team) could lose. TBH........

82 is interesting. I have no doubt Richmond had the more talented players, but Carlton were the far better team. Whether it's coaching, experience, game plan - whatever - Carlton clearly were the better side. And they turned up when it counted. I was still a reasonably stupid young man back then (I'm not young anymore:D), and that one really hurt - but looking back, we got done fair and square.

In retrospect - 82 I can live with, 72 was definitley a coulda/shoulda.

Big Brumbies fan but that was a great run by the Raiders. Can't call it a great single era, as it was really two great separate sides that were back to back. The first part was the Queensland era of Meninga, Belcher, Walters, Coyne and the second was the local era of Daley, Stuart and Clyde.

I’m a roosters fan but to this day the raiders are my ‘second’ team solely due to the fact that I’ve never seen a side play football the way they did. They were just beautiful to watch.

I was only 7 when we lost in 82 so didn’t really have much of an effect on me. And we haven’t lost another since so can’t comprehend the feeling. Winning one feels really good though, this thread is really for Collingwood supporters.

I got over 2015 8 seconds after the siren. We had no business being there. I knew it before the game started and the result went exactly as I expected.

It wasnt a lost opportunity. It was a opportunity we didnt actually deserve if you ask me

2005 still hurts though

Not even close to being over 2013. We missed a pile of shots in the 1st quarter and had the last 8 shots on goal in the last quarter and lost by 15 points.

The hawks went on to destroy the Swans and Eagles the next two years in the GF and we had a more than legitimate shot at beating one of the best teams of the modern era.

Gutted still.

I still haven’t watched a single minute of 2005. I turn away when Leo Barry comes on my screen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2018 and 2011 were rough. Not really over those. 2001 and 2002 I dont remember enough of the games any more, so safe to say over those.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2006 - No hard feelings, it was fair for both Sydney and West Coast to split them one each.

2014 - Was over it pretty quickly, we were outplayed on the day by one of the greatest sides of all time.

2016 - I don't think I will ever be truly over this game, from the build up (All AFL media was focused on the Dogs), the free kick count and non-paid free's on the day which peaked with the non free to Hanners when he stuffed his knee and finally walking out of the ground at the end of the day just to be jumped by two bulldogs fans who shoved me to the ground and gave my nephew a black eye.

It's funny cause I actually know a lot of dogs fans who are actually very reasonable, but even in the aftermath of both 2014 and 2016 I got given a lot more crap by dogs fans than I did by Hawks fans (In which I received none), find it a tad strange as if you have just won a grand final wouldn't you rather just go out and celebrate the win rather than trying to create trouble?

I’m genuinely sorry that you were assaulted after the 2016 GF, I can’t imagine why they would do that.

I’m genuinely sorry that you were assaulted after the 2016 GF, I can’t imagine why they would do that.

It's not your fault, so it isn't anything for you to be sorry about.

Not really sure why they did it, our best guess is after we walked out of the ground we gave our two tickets to two young fans so they can go in and see the trophy presentation, we think maybe they were pissed that we didn't give it to them (or they were just incredibly drunk and wanted to start trouble).

Yes

Losing is just losing that’s all it is. If you can’t handle losing don’t play the game.

in life you’re probably fail and more things then you’ll succeed at

I prefer to remember the success that we’ve had and the successful things I’ve had in my life so far and build on those. It’s basically a strength based approach. Essentially want something has happened to you there’s * all you can do about it you can only look at it from a different angle and use it to make you stronger

2015 was the first GF I actually attended. It was obvious from the start that the boys were overawed by the occasion and we just enjoyed the day, as much as you can when your team is losing. I was over losing well before the end of the game. The Hawthorn supporters surrounding us were reasonably gracious and it was a fine way to spend a lovely spring afternoon.

Winning last year just about erased the memory completely.

It might be harder for a supporter of a shocker of a team that has little to no chance of ever again seeing their team play another GF in their lifetime.

2018 and 2011 were rough. Not really over those. 2001 and 2002 I dont remember enough of the games any more, so safe to say over those.
Seeing as 2001 we weren't even playing I'd hope you were (was 2003 mate). I knew we'd lost it once I saw Rocca's elbow on the news :(

i feel sick every time i see the year 2008 even if its for non footy related stuff like im on netlfix and it says a movie came out in 2008

I was genuinely deflated after 2015, mainly because it was Hawthorn. 3peat, 7th premiership since WCE entered in 87, 5th AFL premiership. It could've been 4-4.
It was matched by the elation of 2018, the greatest game of footy of all time. Still shat off we trail Hawthorn by 3 flags though. It made me resent holding the GF at the MCG but now I don't really care again, it's the Mecca.
edit: i may have posted in this thread already lol

Not even close to being over 2013. We missed a pile of shots in the 1st quarter and had the last 8 shots on goal in the last quarter and lost by 15 points.

The hawks went on to destroy the Swans and Eagles the next two years in the GF and we had a more than legitimate shot at beating one of the best teams of the modern era.

Gutted still.

Ballantyne and Pearce goofed it for you guys. I wish you won, Fremantle main strip woulda gone off (I had a big party and every Eagles fan went for the Dockers, the WA state pride definitely kicked in).

Except it was always gonna be over when you kicked 1 goal only in the first half or something. It felt more like 30 point loss than 15.

The game was a bit bizarre, along with the blustery weather. Classic Freo really.

Chris Mayne missing in the 2015 prelim against the Hawks also cost the Eagles a flag.

Ballantyne and Pearce goofed it for you guys. I wish you won, Fremantle main strip woulda gone off (I had a big party and every Eagles fan went for the Dockers, the WA state pride definitely kicked in).

Except it was always gonna be over when you kicked 1 goal only in the first half or something. It felt more like 30 point loss than 15.

The game was a bit bizarre, along with the blustery weather. Classic Freo really.

Chris Mayne missing in the 2015 prelim against the Hawks also cost the Eagles a flag.

We had your measure back then so not sure about 2015. I think we won 7 derbies in a row around that time.

I do hear a lot of Dockers fans talk about how they got closest to the Hawks and the game got away from them. Yet I don’t recall them ever really being in it, a few late goals flattered the scoreline.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back