Have you evee gotten over your team losing a Grand Final?

Remove this Banner Ad

I got over 2015 8 seconds after the siren. We had no business being there. I knew it before the game started and the result went exactly as I expected.

It wasnt a lost opportunity. It was a opportunity we didnt actually deserve if you ask me

2005 still hurts though
2018 eradicated the pain of 15.

What hurt about 15 was we completely shat the bed. It could have defined the club and those players for the rest of their lives.

It took a long time but I eventually got over 98. Had a work mate from Adelaide and I spent a few days there over the years and enjoyed the footy banter and the general footy die hard attitude there.
He took me to an SANFL GF at Football park (is that what their old ground was called). It was around 06/07.
Can’t exactly remember but it was the year the bulldogs won their 3rd GF in a row against North Adelaide I think (white jumper, red v). It was a great atmosphere. I was in a members area so wasn’t surrounded by hordes of bogans!
I’ve had a lot of beer and wine since but seem to remember twin brothers from the dogs playing hard and well and nude nut Heart (or was it Smart) playing very well for North.
That GF plus following holidays at the Barossa and Coffin Bay made me realise the state of SA wasn’t filled with a bunch of campaigners!
So yeah, took a long time but finally got there. Well I think so - this is the first time I’ve really thought about it!

Collingwood supporters have seen more heartbreak and tears than Liz Taylor's divorce attorney.

Not really.
The only times they've been any good you could spend an entire footy season touring Europe killing fascists and Nazis. Far more entertaining that sitting at home holding your cousin's hand listening to the Pies win over the wireless.

We had your measure back then so not sure about 2015. I think we won 7 derbies in a row around that time.

Freo was a sitting duck half way through 2015, at the end of the regular season the minor premier had never been less favoured to win the flag. We towelled you up by 4 goals in round 20, and you limped past a depleted Sydney in the QF, you would have had a 20-30% chance in the granny.

We'd have at least had a back to back to show for one of the better teams of the AFL era (lions and hawks got their 3peats, Cats had 3 in 5)
17 flags would have us leading the league.
That list was decimated following the loss. Had no chance of trying to sustain the era.

Not really.
The only times they've been any good you could spend an entire footy season touring Europe killing fascists and Nazis. Far more entertaining that sitting at home holding your cousin's hand listening to the Pies win over the wireless.
Cringe.
While Tigers were stuck in minnow land for decades, Collingwood were consistently making finals, made a few Granny's and won a couple too!
Collingwood have never been bad for more than 5 years at a time and it's hard for you to admit.

I do hear a lot of Dockers fans talk about how they got closest to the Hawks and the game got away from them. Yet I don’t recall them ever really being in it, a few late goals flattered the scoreline.

I agree with this.

Hawthorn always had Fremantle's measure in the 2013 Grand Final, the Dockers having no Plan B when the Hawks played and beat them at their own game. Never once did Fremantle look like they were going to win the Grand Final, and never once were the Dockers in front in the scoreboard. The final margin was only 15 points, but this was flattering to the Dockers who kicked late goals in junk time, and it was obvious all afternoon that Hawthorn would lift up the premiership cup. It may as well have been a 75-point win to the Hawks.

My WAFL team South Fremantle Bulldogs had a golden era in the years after WW2, taking out the 1947, 1948, 1950, 1952, 1953 and 1954 premierships and being runner up on a number of occasions. Unfortunately, I wasn't born to see this. Since the mid 1950s South's achievements have been more modest, winning premierships in 1970, 1980, 1997, 2005 and 2009, which isn't too bad considering the long premiership droughts of other teams in this completion, such as Perth which haven't been in the GF since 1978.

However, South Fremantle have lost eight other Grand Finals in the past 50 years. While the number of lost GF's is a problem for the club, it is the way that they have lost them that makes it worse. In 1979 (against East Fremantle), 1992 (East Fremantle) and 1999 (West Perth) the Bulldogs were hot favorites, but played poorly on the day and were beaten (although not thrashed) by the Sharks and Falcons. Worse were the 1975 (West Perth), 1989 (Claremont), 2001 (East Perth) and 2006 (Subiaco) Grand Finals, where the Bulldogs received thrashings by 104, 69, 82 and 83 points respectively. Only once in a GF loss during this time, 1981 against the Claremont Tigers did South play well on GF day but were beaten but not disgraced by a better team on the day and for the season.

While I am too young to remember the 1970s GFs it was always disappointing to see South under-perform on GF day, but in recent years South have had a problem even making a Grand Final. In 2016 and 2017 it wasn't really the Bulldogs' fault, as they had to play a Peel Thunder team which had been controversially stacked with Fremantle Dockers players, but 2018 really rankled. South crushed West Perth by 98 points in the QF and were very competitive against unbeaten Subiaco in the 2SF, leading for most of the first half before losing by 3 goals. However, coming up against West Perth again in the PF South showed none of their great form, turning in a lethargic performance and never looking like winning. West Perth advanced to the GF, and Subiaco made them look absolutely stupid, the Lions thrashing a hopelessly inept Falcons team by 83 points in a game so one sided many West Perth supporters were leaving before half time, the Lions going through the season unbeaten. While South would never have beaten Subicao on GF day, it has peeved me ever since that an inexplicably poor Preliminary Final display cost them the chance of even playing in the Grand Final.

And... you didn't win it either?

You have just got to get over the disappointment that was Richmond's 2018 season. I certainly have no issue anymore with how my team went because it's as new year. Grow up mate haha

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In my living memory, ‘84 and ‘12 haunt because we were ahead for significant portions of the game but the opposition ran over the top of us. ‘85 we were never in the hunt.

But ‘87 also rankles. We were just about to finish the H&A season as minor premiers but Stephen Kernahan kicked an after the siren goal to win the game for Carlton against North to see them finish top.

We smashed Sydney in the QF and were more than matching Carlton in the second semi before Dunstall did his ankle to see him miss the rest of the season. Lost the game and came up against a rampant Melbourne in the PF. Just got through and then came up against Carlton sans Dunstall on a blistering hot day against a team with a long break. We were in it until the early stages of the second quarter but fell away. Can’t help but think if we finished minor premiers and not lost Dunstall we’d have beaten them.

Not true....To some people ( myself included ) it is the one time of the week you can escape from daily life, & to be part of a common interest shared with others. That’s why people say footy is their religion.
That's what entertainment is: Escape from daily life.

2008 was a write off but beating a far better team in 2009 made up for it

2008 was a write off but beating a far better team in 2009 made up for it
2008 will always hurt, a missed opportunity is a missed opportunity for life. But as a supporter it did make me proud that our group accepted it & used it as a driving force for our 2009 flag!....Some clubs post loss ( Crows 2017 & Port 2007 ) fracture & disappear.

1999 hurt like hell but they lost the following week which made up for it in some way.
It also was the catalyst to 2000.
I was more upset about the 2001 GF in which I think we took injured players in and paid the price

I've been an Eagles fan since about 1992, as a 6yo. Being of a certain age and the Eags being the WA team it was a natural progression. So yeah, as Eagles fans we've been pretty lucky to claim 4 flags with 3 losses. Of course 2005 was hard to take, and I can't imagine what losing in 2006 by less than a goal would feel like (condolences to Saints supporters you masochistic bastards), but it was such a tremendous feeling of relief and elation. 2015 seemed like a long shot anyway, so just felt rather empty after that.

West Coast have lost 3 Grand Finals. I am very very fortunate as a supporter that they have followed up 2 of those losses with a win the following year, with the 3rd loss being cancelled out just 3 years later with a win. So personally I have a feeling that things have balanced themselves out and feel no hurt about our losses.
Every one of them burns but the narrow margins cause sleepless nights. I have watched my Pies lose Grand finals by the following margins: 4 points (64) 1 point (66) 10 points (70), draw after leading by 27 points at three quarter time(77) lost the replay by 6 goal, 5 points (79) 81 points (80) 20 points (81) 9 points (2002) 45 points (2003) draw (2010) 35 points (2011) 5 points (2018).
No opposition fan comes close to what we Collingwood supporters have endured.

I understand to this day Kevin Sheedys greatest regret is losing the 1975 prelim, this despite a great career as player and coach winning multiple premierships as both.

Richmond lost the 1972 grand final and a manic 12 year old who listened to every moment of every game that year was never the same. Richmond went back to back in 73/74 and I was happy but not nearly as excited as I might have been because I had decided after the devastation of 1972 never ever again to be so invested in my team.

I have gained a greater appreciation of the week by week wins understanding that only 1 club takes the cup but you can get a lot of pleasure from just having bragging rights each week. It made me understand why all my Collingwood supporting mates were generally happy, they were not winning premierships but they would win 2 out of 3 games all the time, they still do. The premiership is 2 weeks of drunken delight then all eyes are on the next season.

2013 probably hurts more than 2008 to be honest. People will disagree, but I genuinely thought we were the best side in it going into the finals and we haven't got as close as that since. The two major question marks (and granted, they were significant) were our ruck stocks without Hamish McIntosh and Dawson Simpson (don't laugh, Simpson had finally got his chance in the second half of the season and was playing out of his skin) and the health of Tom Hawkins.

Personally, I think we made some god awful decisions at the selection table against Fremantle (a team we didn't match up well against to start with) and the Dockers rolled us fair and square at Kardinia Park. The flag was there for the taking and you never know when you'll get the chance again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back