Have you evee gotten over your team losing a Grand Final?

SdKfz 181

Premiership Player
Jun 5, 2009
Blairgowrie
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Rovers | Napoli | Victory
I’m still trying to get over the infamous 1982 GF, the third quarter incident was a little risqué for a two year olds young eyes...

Last edited:

Ray Donovan

Staring into the abyss
Oct 11, 2016
Sydney
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oklahoma City Thunder
The ones your team could of won burn..... Mistakes or poor football injuries etc...

Those are the ones that you remember. If you come out and get pumped from the first bounce or just run over after half time. Tip your cap to the better team

saints_333

Senior List
Feb 16, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
As a Saints fan it's hard to say which one hurt the most because they were all pretty close and we had our chances in all three that I lived through.
vs Adelaide we had the backing of the entire Victorian population, we finished much higher on the ladder than they did and lead at half time.
vs Geelong again we were probably slightly the better team and lead at various stages and once again probably should've won.
vs Collingwood of course you have the draw and we were playing all over them in the final term even though this is the one we went in as the underdogs.

They all still hurt but only really because we still haven't won a Grand Final. If eventually we do win won then I would remember them for the great games that all three were.

NonPhixion

Bookie Assassin
Mar 27, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Cleveland Browns, Tony Ferguson
Last years loss was a bit easier than 2011. Probably cause I never thought we’d be in the GF. 2011 stung for a while... damn tomahawk

david addison

Team Captain
Feb 3, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Harmes was bad enough, then the next year Kerry Good. Sweet Jesus. The next day I was walking to school with my best mate, a kangaroos fan, and he was absolutely merciless. Rubbed it right into my face. Couldn't believe it. The moment you realize your best mate is an arsehole. So I killed him. His rotting corpse is buried in my backyard. That's how I got over it.

I keep hearing about a player called Radical Ear. No idea who it is. Strange name. Here's the only radical ear I know of:

1556719184967.png

8 GFs as a supporter for a 5-3 result.

Of the 3 losses, I got over 1986 because we reversed the result in 1987 and I had a healthy respect for our mini rivalry with the Hawks at the time.

1999 didn't hurt much. We didn't deserve to be there. A 12 goal first up loss to the Lions and we had a home final against the Eagles the next week due to the MCG agreement while the Lions had to travel.

We played a better of a prelim to eliminate Essendon but that was our GF right there.

1993 hurt. We beat Essendon by 2 points or something the first week. Got past the Crows okay and waited for our opponent.

The Crows smashed Essendon early and got out to matchwinning lead and blew it. We shat ourselves in the GF aside from Sticks. I was overseas in a pub and got drunk and depressed and was out of there before 3 quarter time. Never watched the game sober and never watched the last quarter at all. Never will either.

I consider our losses moral victories...

2006 - beaten by blokes on coke
2016 - dudded by afl and maggots so they could have their bulldog fairy tale.

Swans moral premiers 06 and 16 for me

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

IF you believe that West Coast were the only team that had players on coke then you are probably going to be in for a shock my friend. Personally I don't believe that any Swans fan should have any issues with 2006, we simply lost to the better side on the day.

If coke was performance enhancing why was Michael Talia so average?

MrWoollie

Club Legend
Jul 28, 2008
England
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Lincoln City Imps, West Perth

Funny that you will take those two (on very dodgy footing), but not give back the 2012 one.
Funny that you take the moral high ground on drugs when it is a different team, but ignore the Swans drug scandals.

Lets look at 2005. Barry Hall never should have played. He only played because the AFL hierarchy needed a Swans premiership to prove the expansion worked. In the prelim Barry Hall smacked someone while they were up against the boundary fence and the ball was 50m+ away. The guy was clearly hurt and it took him a while to get back into it. Somehow the AFL interfered after the tribunal verdict and on appeal got it down to 'low impact' and 'in play'. I call b******t.
And as for the Leo Barry mark. He did nothing wrong, but the only reason he could take it was because Ash Sampi was being tackled out of the contest to prevent him taking the mark.
If Hall hadn't played the Swans were no chance, but he did and provided the target and difference in score.

And then there is the drugs. Sydney, oh Sydney. Here we go...

The Mongrel Punt recently published a great story titled 'The Other Premiership Drugs Scandal'. Any ideas on what club? What premiership? I'll give you a clue.

'As reported by Michaelangelo Rucci back in March 2017, 12 Swans players self-reported illicit drug violations following their 2012 triumph' and

'What is very concerning is that the 2012 number of 26 positive tests does not even include the stunning number of Sydney players who self-reported illicit drug taking in the wake of their colourful Grand Final celebrations. This number of 12 Sydney players supersedes that of the ’06 Eagles and was recently labelled as “extraordinary” by author Elliott Cartledge in his recent book, Footy’s Revolution. With 12 players self-reporting, it accounts for more than half of the premiership team that still has seven players remaining at the club, and three at other clubs.

The situation at the Eagles may have been dire in 2006, but 2012 in Sydney was just as bad.'

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 25, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I was 9 when Brisbane lost the 2004 grand final so i was probably too young to really appreciate how gut wrenching it can be. When the Wallabies lost the 2015 Rugby World Cup Final, i barely said a word for two days. When QLD lost last year's State of Origin series some 'F' bombs were dropped to put it mildly, so it's fair to say I'm a bad loser.

MF

Good Poster, s**t Bloke
Sep 10, 2006
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
Got over 96, 2006 pretty fast.

2014 I'm getting there. We were beaten by a better team and like the West Coast grand finals both teams walk away with one each.

2016 though...

JM#1

Club Legend
Apr 19, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
This may sound strange considering how close the game was, but during last year's GF I remember during the 3rd quarter I almost accepted that we were not going to win. If we managed to sneak the win then it would be great, but Eagles deserved the victory, they were the better team.

snooplions

Club Legend
Dec 2, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I was 9 when Brisbane lost the 2004 grand final so i was probably too young to really appreciate how gut wrenching it can be. When the Wallabies lost the 2015 Rugby World Cup Final, i barely said a word for two days. When QLD lost last year's State of Origin series some 'F' bombs were dropped to put it mildly, so it's fair to say I'm a bad loser.
I was 9 too and I ugly cried all afternoon lol

hansie

Club Legend
Apr 12, 2006
Outeniqua Mountains
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Newcastle Utd, Miami Dolphins
Funny that you will take those two (on very dodgy footing), but not give back the 2012 one.
Funny that you take the moral high ground on drugs when it is a different team, but ignore the Swans drug scandals.

Lets look at 2005. Barry Hall never should have played. He only played because the AFL hierarchy needed a Swans premiership to prove the expansion worked. In the prelim Barry Hall smacked someone while they were up against the boundary fence and the ball was 50m+ away. The guy was clearly hurt and it took him a while to get back into it. Somehow the AFL interfered after the tribunal verdict and on appeal got it down to 'low impact' and 'in play'. I call b******t.
And as for the Leo Barry mark. He did nothing wrong, but the only reason he could take it was because Ash Sampi was being tackled out of the contest to prevent him taking the mark.
If Hall hadn't played the Swans were no chance, but he did and provided the target and difference in score.

And then there is the drugs. Sydney, oh Sydney. Here we go...

The Mongrel Punt recently published a great story titled 'The Other Premiership Drugs Scandal'. Any ideas on what club? What premiership? I'll give you a clue.

'As reported by Michaelangelo Rucci back in March 2017, 12 Swans players self-reported illicit drug violations following their 2012 triumph' and

'What is very concerning is that the 2012 number of 26 positive tests does not even include the stunning number of Sydney players who self-reported illicit drug taking in the wake of their colourful Grand Final celebrations. This number of 12 Sydney players supersedes that of the ’06 Eagles and was recently labelled as “extraordinary” by author Elliott Cartledge in his recent book, Footy’s Revolution. With 12 players self-reporting, it accounts for more than half of the premiership team that still has seven players remaining at the club, and three at other clubs.

The situation at the Eagles may have been dire in 2006, but 2012 in Sydney was just as bad.'

Yeah but that was after the flag..!. Tipping I would be up for anything bad I just won a premiership...

Like most swans and eagles, I reckon 05 06 1 each was fair. Was at both games and they were crackers..comment about that was more to rile eagles fans!

2016 burns deeply though. KJ getting beheaded and not getting a 50, Easton wood smashing hanners’ leg, the list goes on. Will never ever get over that! Not helped by the afl mea culpa the following week.

Sep 7, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Dallas Mavs, West Ham
Personally, I think we made some god awful decisions at the selection table against Fremantle (a team we didn't match up well against to start with) and the Dockers rolled us fair and square at Kardinia Park. The flag was there for the taking and you never know when you'll get the chance again.

Hawkins a late out, replaced by Josh Walker.

Chapman the sub in his 250th game.

Stephen Hill walking off the bench, picking up the ball and running it down to the other end for the sealer.

Still burns.

Aug 17, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
Hawkins a late out, replaced by Josh Walker.

Chapman the sub in his 250th game.

Stephen Hill walking off the bench, picking up the ball and running it down to the other end for the sealer.

Still burns.

Yeah, I think Trent West would have at least given a contest, rather than going with the Vardy, Blicavs, Walker three headed monster and basically waving the white flag against Sandilands. So I'd have brought in West instead of Walker and played Vardy as a key forward alongside Pods, but you could certainly argue that Sandilands still would have battered West.

The Chapman one, well I admit I read his (pretty boring, to be honest) autobiography almost solely because I waslooking for an explanation on that one (or even just Chapman's view), which unfortunately was unforthcoming. He'd come back from a nagging injury, he was one of Geelong's best in the game leading into the QF and then again in the subsequent SF (where he unfortunately got himself suspended), it was a milestone game...why on earth was he wearing the green vest? I wonder if there'll ever be an answer for that one.

Even s**t that only the most pathetic Geelong supporters would remember, like Cam Guthrie (who was playing out of his mind and was subsequently one of our best 2-3 throughout the finals series) being named as an emergency and then being a 'late inclusion'...if I wasn't fooled by that pointless bullshit and always knew Guthrie would play, somehow I don't think Fremantle were tricked.

So yeah, that's a tough one, much tougher than the PF, where we gave it everything and nearly held on/pinched it (a rare combination).

Back