Discussion Have you ever had to defend yourself/use your training in real life?

Remove this Banner Ad

I'll get it started. I had one fight that I couldn't walk away from. Or I chose not to. My brother went to thailand for a kickboxing bout and Got hurt pretty bad. Like most brothers do they look to avenge defeat So I trained with one of their top Guru's and he taught me some crazy s**t. The fight was crazy and we fought the old fashioned way with our hands wrapped in glass. By the end of the night people were chanting Nok su kow and I emerged victorious. I think my opponents name was Tong. Wouldn't want to do it again although it was pretty cool to walk away with the win.

I'll get it started. I had one fight that I couldn't walk away from. Or I chose not to. My brother went to thailand for a kickboxing bout and Got hurt pretty bad. Like most brothers do they look to avenge defeat So I trained with one of their top Guru's and he taught me some crazy s**t. The fight was crazy and we fought the old fashioned way with our hands wrapped in glass. By the end of the night people were chanting Nok su kow and I emerged victorious. I think my opponents name was Tong. Wouldn't want to do it again although it was pretty cool to walk away with the win.
I started reading this and thought does this guy realise other people have watched kickboxer?

As I kept reading I thought, well played.

When I was young I moved to a new city. I was living in the west but came across to the east coast. One night I met an awesome girl at a beach party, little did I know that her ex was there and he and his mates gave me a hiding on my way home. Fortunately, a quirky old man who was the maintenance guy for our apartment building stepped in, took them out and chased them off. I had never seen anything like it before so I asked him to train me. Eventually he agree but he training style was so strange that I never knew it was even training; waxing cars, painting the fence and so on. I spat the dummy thinking I was learning nothing and thats when he showed me how he had trained me to an elite degree without my knowledge. I felt ready for revenge, but being the honourable man he is we chose to do it through a local karate tournament. During the tournament I met some of the guys that beat me up an whilst I beat them, one deliberately injured me and I almost couldn't continue but the old man used some mystical massage technique to heal me. Then comes the final. I come up against who else but the guy who beat me up, Johnny. He had the upper hand but I remembered one day I saw the old man use a special technique he never taught me but I never forgot it. Perilously close to losing to Johnny I I raised my hands high into the air, cocked up my leg in front of me and as Johnny approached to end the bout I switched my legs mid air thrusting my planted leg forward to strike him on the chin and thus win a victory for the ages.

As I celebrate all I could hear was you're the best by Joe Esposito running through my mind.

I'll never forget that day.

Last edited:
When I was young I moved to a new city. I was living in the west but came across to the east coast. One night I met an awesome girl at a beach party, little did I know that her ex was there and he and his mates gave me a hiding on my way home. Fortunately, a quirky old man who was the maintenance guy for our apartment building stepped in, took them out and chased them off. I had never seen anything like it before so I asked him to train me. Eventually he agree but he training style was so strange that I never knew it was even training; waxing cars, painting the fence and so on. I spat the dummy thinking I was learning nothing and thats when he showed me how he had trained me to an elite degree without my knowledge. I felt ready for revenge, but being the honourable man he is we chose to do it through a local karate tournament. During the tournament I met some of the guys that beat me up an whilst I beat them, one deliberately injured me and I almost couldn't continue but the old man used some mystical massage technique to heal me. Then comes the final. I come up against who else but the guy who beat me up, Johnny. He had the upper hand but I remembered one day I saw the old man use a special technique he never taught me but I never forgot it. Perilously close to losing to Johnny I I raised my hands high into the air, cocked up my leg in front of me and as Johnny approached to end the bout I switched my legs mid air thrusting my planted leg forward to strike him on the chin and thus win a victory for the ages.

As I celebrate all I could hear was you're the best by Joe Esposito running through my mind.

I'll never forget that day.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

As soon as I read you met an awesome girl at a beach party, I knew where this was heading!

Funny campaigner.

Couldn't help but laugh. The crack head was actually a decent fighter and I knew he was going to win the moment he flicked out that first jab. The other guy lunged in without knowing how to, or how to attack properly. No need to over commit to a punch or attack either. If it's not on, don't throw or commit.

Saw a few maori street fights/school fights and what I noticed about them opposed to Aussie one's is the Maori boys used more Muay Thai/leg kicks rather than just straight brawling. They know how to fight better than the average one's over here. More technical.

I would have got K.o'd from that annoying bitch that wouldn't stop screeching. BTW i don't like violence like that. That's ridiculous. It is a fight and I get that. One guy fell over and passed out kind of then the other guy started belting him heaps. He did get stabbed before that, basically all a bunch of ******* scum.

Only had the one real fight, few scuffles but nothing serious apart from it. Was walking home from school in grade 11/12 and two twin brothers that I didn’t overally get along with were behind me. One of them ran up and punched me in the back of the head, I just spun and swung with everything I had once I got hit and clocked him dead on the chin, he dropped like a sack of s**t. His brother told me to * off and while I kept walking he helped his brother out.

Only had the one real fight, few scuffles but nothing serious apart from it. Was walking home from school in grade 11/12 and two twin brothers that I didn’t overally get along with were behind me. One of them ran up and punched me in the back of the head, I just spun and swung with everything I had once I got hit and clocked him dead on the chin, he dropped like a sack of s**t. His brother told me to **** off and while I kept walking he helped his brother out.
Good on you for standing up for yourself. They or he thought you wouldn't do anything because there were two of them.

They thought wrong.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Awesome MMA it must be said. That guy was a warrior. But to do what he did, disgraceful. Will suffer the consequences.

One of my first trainers was a Krav Maga dude, he’s a ref in the UFC now, he got asked in a session one night what’s the best technique in a street fight, this guy (who was a fair beast) said “train your cardio well and run the f**k away”.

I’ve been in footy scuffles and one or two fights (usually backing up mates) when I was younger, would avoid like the plague now, i think it’s alot easier to walk away when you have the confidence to defend yourself properly if it really went south.

Having said that everyone I know that finds out I’ve done this for a long time wants me to show them how to properly choke someone out, even the people that think UFC is human cockfighting. It’s bizarre.

Here's a clip of me getting into a scuffle with the cops. I did the right thing and avoided confrontation. I did get put in a head lock, but other than that I came out unscathed.

One of my first trainers was a Krav Maga dude, he’s a ref in the UFC now, he got asked in a session one night what’s the best technique in a street fight, this guy (who was a fair beast) said “train your cardio well and run the f**k away”.

I’ve been in footy scuffles and one or two fights (usually backing up mates) when I was younger, would avoid like the plague now, i think it’s alot easier to walk away when you have the confidence to defend yourself properly if it really went south.

Having said that everyone I know that finds out I’ve done this for a long time wants me to show them how to properly choke someone out, even the people that think UFC is human cockfighting. It’s bizarre.

I read an old interview with Frank Shamrock, was from when he was the best in the world basically. They asked him the question of this thread basically and he said a guy challenged him in the street once, I don't believe he knew who it was. Anyway he said he was in training camp and was really fit so he could run away easily ha ha, sends a really good message I think from someone like that.

I've heard someone else mention the exact same thing about a Krav instructor. Would have been about the same guy, unless Krav guys all spin the same s**t, which they probably do.

Theoretically yes, what they say for the average is joe is true. Run away. However, the majority of trained fighters, street fighters or meat heads/drunken idiots will not run away. Most people in general will not run. Yes some will WALK away. A lot won't. Certainly not edgy characters. And certainly not ******* run. That's profound bullshit.

Roger Huerta a UFC fighter saw someone get hit. It was a woman, and she got hit from behind. Did he run? Yeah right.

SOME instructors are full of s**t. And if they're teaching or telling you to run they should get into the sprinting business. Just because they say something, doesn't mean they will do it or believe it.

Out last weekend and a guy comes up to me and says '' You got a problem '' I said yeah I do. I'm addicted to Big Footy. He said '' no worries me too campaigner '' and walked away.

Big Footy. Solves everything:cool:

Saw a few maori street fights/school fights and what I noticed about them opposed to Aussie one's is the Maori boys used more Muay Thai/leg kicks rather than just straight brawling. They know how to fight better than the average one's over here. More technical.

Been fighting since primary school.

Not going to pretend i am not an angry prick because I am. I’ll never walk away from someone mouthing off unfortunately, but I only ever fight now when it know it is unavoidable.

People expect hands to get thrown first. But always keep out of punching range and kick first. Target the meaty bit on the side of the leg above the knee. Big target to aim at.

Straight off the bat you have damaged your opponents mobility.

Kick first, hands second.

If they break the space, clinch, then release knees and elbows. Then release clinch and unleash hands.

The key is to effectively strike your opponent first, allowing an opening...then swarm them.

That’s how fights are won.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back