Have you ever saved some ones life?

Remove this Banner Ad

Simon_Nesbit

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 26, 2001
Tasmania
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Meh promising thread ruined so far lets try to bring it back on track.

Out on a training run for cricket pre-season (maybe 15 or so), running on the 'wrong' side of the road in a group of 20-odd guys, when a car goes screaming passed us and around the corner - heard the tires screech, then the crash - we all started sprinting.

I wasn't first there, but the driver of the car that went passed us had gone through the windshield and was lying on the road - seemingly uninjured other than cuts and bruises. Don't know how he survived - though he later went to jail for drunk driving. The car he hit was a young girl, head down over the wheel (horn blaring) revving the hell out of her car.

First guy there pulled her back from the wheel, but the footwell (including her leg!) was crushed from the impact. Keys had broken off from the ignition, so he couldn't switch off the engine. One of the other guys was a mechanic, we ripped the bonnet up and he disconnected the engine/throttle (burnt his hands pretty badly, spent some time in hospital).

The girl was still unconscious, and as I'd gone round the passenger side of her car I could see she was bleeding badly from her neck. I jumped in the passenger side (undamaged), and used my jumper to soak up the blood, applying pressure until the ambulance came as others tried to wake her up.

When the paramedics did take over, I suddenly realised a lot of the guys had gone - only 3-4 of us were left. I stepped back and suddenly felt dizzy. (Mate said afterwards, I walked straight across the road without looking, over to some grass then passed out)

It took well over an hour from the impact before she was out of the car. As she was loaded into an ambulance and left (still unconscious), one of the medics came over to check on me. At that point I realised I was literally covered in blood. After checking me out he told me she'd lacerated her artery and I'd probably saved her life.

She survived, and later came to the club with her mum to thank us for saving her life.

Simon_Nesbit

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 26, 2001
Tasmania
AFL Club
Hawthorn
A few years later - almost word for word GG's. Walking through the mall on way home after a big night (so 17-19), saw a young girl walking VERY quickly towards me, a guy following behind.

As she got closer, she called out "Michael!, where have you been!" gave me a big hug and whispered "please play along" in my ear. She was, or had been crying and looked terrified. She took my hand and we then walked back past the guy who had the guiltiest look I've ever seen and was strangely intrigued by the (black) night sky.

After we walked passed him, we went another 50m or so, before she stopped, apologised and asked if I'd walk her home to her house, a few blocks away. I suggested she go to the police station instead, but she refused.

I walked her home as it was (kind of) on my way home, made sure she got home safe, and left.

Saw her out another night a few weeks later, she didn't recognise me and seemed to be having fun with friends so I just let her be. Telling the story to mates later generated the expected ribbing (and you just left?!) but I was, and am comfortable in my actions.

Simon_Nesbit

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 26, 2001
Tasmania
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Back in the days of ICQ, I was in high-school (13-14), but somehow friended a lady in rural Victoria, who had a lot of things going on in her life. Her husband was in/out of jail, she'd lost her job, her daughter (my age) was into drugs and had moved out with her then boyfriend/dealer.

A few months of random chat passed, lots of her talking about her life and me offering suggestions and encouragement, when she was suddenly offline for weeks - to the point I messaged her saying I hadn't seen her around. A few one word answers in response and I just gave up and stopped messaging.

About a year later she emailed me (ICQ had died by then). She told me her husband had come out from jail, her daughter had attempted suicide and the child protection officers had taken her away. She had now split from her husband (who was back in jail again), and her daughter was living at home with her again. She thanked me for help ending her abusive marriage, and saving her daughter's life. She wrote me an actual letter years later when I got married saying her daughter had finished rehab, got a job and found a "good husband"; and she had also found a new partner and they were all heading to New Zealand to put this life behind them and start fresh.

I still to this day don't know what I said or did that resulted in helping the outcome - I lost ICQ so can never look at the conversations again.

Simon_Nesbit

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 26, 2001
Tasmania
AFL Club
Hawthorn
In college, a mates girlfriend found out she was pregnant - she tried to have a home abortion and ended up in hospital so of course her parents found out. Dropped out of school, broke up with her boyfriend, our friendship group just kinda moved on.

A year or two later I bumped into her at the supermarket - we went for a coffee to have a chat (well a coke more likely). She confessed she didn't have any friends, was on antidepressants and had tried to take her own life a few times. She pulled up her sleeve and showed me her arms - I'd never seen scars like it, when she pulled up her sleeve it was horrible, scar tissue lines criss crossing that looked DEEP.

Her parents didn't let her go to school, or see anybody (very strict religious types) as we were such a bad influence on her. She asked if I knew the number of one of the others girls we used to hang around with (I didn't), but I kept her number and eventually tracked the other girl down through another friends' girlfriend, passing the number on.

Another decade passed before I saw them again, at a child's birthday party. They've been together now for nearly fifteen years, and have two awesome boys.

Not really "Saving a life", but I feel like I helped make a connection that she needed in her life.

Simon_Nesbit

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 26, 2001
Tasmania
AFL Club
Hawthorn
...and to end on a freaky one.

as a kid, sitting in back seat with my brother in child seat alongside. Dad driving, mum in passenger seat. On the highway, on way to Hobart.

Mum gives my brother and I a Clix biscuit, feeds one to Dad and he starts to choke on it.

I have an extremely vivid memory, completely illogical - of a Boat crashing into the car. In the middle of Tasmania, miles from any lake or water. I screamed.

Dad slammed on the brakes, pulling over. I'm hysterical, cannot breathe, crying. I finally manage to spit out my dream, Dad gets angry at me, jumps back in the car and goes screaming down the road.

No more than 5 minutes later, we come to a blind corner, and on the opposite side of the road, there's a big 4wd and boat trailer - empty. Dad slows down, and sees (on the left hand side trees) the big speed boat, having slid off the trailer, across the oncoming lanes and into the trees.

If we hadn't stopped when I screamed....

Mar 8, 2007
Sweep shots don't count
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
probably
Ok here’s one about my time working in the US. I’m a social worker as you have prob picked up from my posts and I was invited to do a local TV spot about a missing girl.

Anyway after the show I start to get some odd calls from people in need (finding me online etc) which isn’t unusual, except one persistent woman calling herself ‘Kee’ with some obvious issues.

She kept going on about another kid that had been kidnapped she was clearly very anxious about but it was hard to take this seriously.

So later this colourful bird keeps turning up wherever I am, following me along with some Asian kid I keep getting glances of. Like the same kid Kee was looking for.

Anyway tragically, next day the missing girl is found in a bad way, near some really weird obscure Asian occult paraphanelia.

Turns out, Kee says house was a holding place for the kid she’s after and introduces me to Doctor Hong, a mystic expert, and Kala (a creature half dragon, half woman, who remains hidden behind a screen).

Kee and I tracked down a motorcycle gang, the Yellow Dragons, and Chinese restaurant owner Tommy Tong, a henchman of Numspa, to whom Cheryll, the original missing girl, had been taken to as a way to make the Asian kid vulnerable to earthly harm. Turns out he’s magic or some s**t.

However, Tong was killed by Numspa as a potential traitor. Still not taking the case too seriously, I was drawn by Numspa into a controlled dream, where I received a burn mark on my arm.

Numpsa presented his demands: the Ajanti Dagger (a mystic weapon capable of killing the child) in exchange for the boy. I finally agreed to help.

Me and Kee travelled to Tibet, where I was swindled by an old amulet seller, later revealed as the High Priest of the temple where the dagger is kept hidden (and, subsequently, Kee's father).

In order to obtain the blade, I had to pass a test: an obstacle course in a bottomless cavern whilst carrying a glass of water without spilling a drop. With luck and wits, I recovered the blade and even managed to bring it past customs into the United States.

That night, Numspa and his henchmen attacked me and Kee. The Ajanti Dagger was lost to the villains, and Kee took a crossbow bolt meant for me, dying in my arms while confessing her love.

Doctor Hong and Kala offered hope: as long as the sun shines upon Kee, the child might be able to save her.

With the help of the bird from earlier, I located Numspa's hideout, retrieved the dagger with the help of Til, one of Numspa's men converted to good by the child, and freed the boy.

When i confronted Numspa, he revealed himself as a demon. Me and the child escaped, only to be trapped inside a warehouse.

I lost the dagger when the warehouse collapsed, with Numspa buried under falling masonry.

The child and I headed to Doctor Hong's shop, where Kee was being kept. As we approached Kee's body, a badly injured but berserk Numspa attacked me, but the amulet the old man sold me blasted the dagger from Numspa's hand.

The child used his magic to place the dagger back into my hands, and I stabbed the demon through the heart, destroying him.

The child then used the last rays of sunlight and his powers to bring Kee back from the dead.

The three of us later took a walk discussing the child’s return to Tibet.

Was a wild few days tbh

rank and file

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 9, 2013
michael mitchell country
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
bell park
Ok here’s one about my time working in the US. I’m a social worker as you have prob picked up from my posts and I was invited to do a local TV spot about a missing girl.

Anyway after the show I start to get some odd calls from people in need (finding me online etc) which isn’t unusual, except one persistent woman calling herself ‘Kee’ with some obvious issues.

She kept going on about another kid that had been kidnapped she was clearly very anxious about but it was hard to take this seriously.

So later this colourful bird keeps turning up wherever I am, following me along with some Asian kid I keep getting glances of. Like the same kid Kee was looking for.

Anyway tragically, next day the missing girl is found in a bad way, near some really weird obscure Asian occult paraphanelia.

Turns out, Kee says house was a holding place for the kid she’s after and introduces me to Doctor Hong, a mystic expert, and Kala (a creature half dragon, half woman, who remains hidden behind a screen).

Kee and I tracked down a motorcycle gang, the Yellow Dragons, and Chinese restaurant owner Tommy Tong, a henchman of Numspa, to whom Cheryll, the original missing girl, had been taken to as a way to make the Asian kid vulnerable to earthly harm. Turns out he’s magic or some s**t.

However, Tong was killed by Numspa as a potential traitor. Still not taking the case too seriously, I was drawn by Numspa into a controlled dream, where I received a burn mark on my arm.

Numpsa presented his demands: the Ajanti Dagger (a mystic weapon capable of killing the child) in exchange for the boy. I finally agreed to help.

Me and Kee travelled to Tibet, where I was swindled by an old amulet seller, later revealed as the High Priest of the temple where the dagger is kept hidden (and, subsequently, Kee's father).

In order to obtain the blade, I had to pass a test: an obstacle course in a bottomless cavern whilst carrying a glass of water without spilling a drop. With luck and wits, I recovered the blade and even managed to bring it past customs into the United States.

That night, Numspa and his henchmen attacked me and Kee. The Ajanti Dagger was lost to the villains, and Kee took a crossbow bolt meant for me, dying in my arms while confessing her love.

Doctor Hong and Kala offered hope: as long as the sun shines upon Kee, the child might be able to save her.

With the help of the bird from earlier, I located Numspa's hideout, retrieved the dagger with the help of Til, one of Numspa's men converted to good by the child, and freed the boy.

When i confronted Numspa, he revealed himself as a demon. Me and the child escaped, only to be trapped inside a warehouse.

I lost the dagger when the warehouse collapsed, with Numspa buried under falling masonry.

The child and I headed to Doctor Hong's shop, where Kee was being kept. As we approached Kee's body, a badly injured but berserk Numspa attacked me, but the amulet the old man sold me blasted the dagger from Numspa's hand.

The child used his magic to place the dagger back into my hands, and I stabbed the demon through the heart, destroying him.

The child then used the last rays of sunlight and his powers to bring Kee back from the dead.

The three of us later took a walk discussing the child’s return to Tibet.

Was a wild few days tbh
Lucky it wasn't the Wongs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mar 8, 2007
Sweep shots don't count
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
probably
Ok, super quickly. Back in the 80s I was given command of a new Typhoon-class nuclear missile submarine by the Russians, one with a stealth "caterpillar drive", rendering it undetectable to passive sonar. I’m actually Scottish - with a pretty thick accent - although nobody really ever seemed to notice. It was a weird time.

I left port to conduct exercises with attack submarine V. K. Konovalov, commanded by my former student Captain Tupolev. Once at sea, I secretly killed political officer Ivan Putin and relayed false orders that VKK was to conduct missile drills off America's east coast.

At the same time, American attack submarine USS Dallas, tasked with identifying and shadowing Soviet subs as they left port, detected my sub as it began its mission, but immediately lost contact once the sub's caterpillar drive was engaged.

The next morning, CIA analyst and former Marine, Silent Alarm, after consulting with Vice Admiral James Greer, briefed government officials on my boat and the threat it posed.

The U.S. feared I planned a renegade nuclear strike. They also learned that the bulk of the Soviet Navy had been deployed to the Atlantic to find and sink the sub.

During the briefing, SA hypothesised that I instead planned to defect, and NSC chairman Jeffrey Pelt gave SA three days to confirm his theory.

Meanwhile, Tupolev, though unable to track my sub, guessed his former mentor's route and set a course to intercept.

Due to the actions of an unknown saboteur, my caterpillar drive malfunctioned during risky maneuvers through a narrow undersea canyon.

Petty Officer Jones, a sonar technician aboard Dallas, discovered a way to detect my sub using his underwater acoustics software, and Dallas plotted their own intercept course.

SA arranged a hazardous mid-ocean rendezvous to board Dallas, where he attempted to persuade its captain, Commander Bart Mancuso, to contact me and determine my intentions.

The Soviet ambassador informed the U.S. government that I was a renegade, and asksed for help in sinking my boat.

That order was sent to the U.S. fleet, including Dallas, which found the Soviet sub.

SA, however, was convinced that I planned to defect with my officers and convinced Mancuso to contact me and offer assistance. Stunned that the Americans correctly guessed his plan, I accepted.

I then staged a nuclear reactor "emergency", ordering my crew to abandon ship. After a U.S. frigate was spotted, i submerged.

Meanwhile, SA, Mancuso, and Jones came aboard via a rescue sub, at which point i requested asylum for myself and my officers.

The sub was suddenly attacked by V. K. Konovalov, which had tracked us across the Atlantic. As the two Soviet subs maneuvered, one of my cooks, Loginov, an undercover KGB agent and the secret saboteur, opened fire on the bridge, fatally wounding first officer Vasily Borodin before retreating to the nuclear missile bay.

SA and I pursued him, and Loginov wounded me in the shoulder, but SA killed Loginov before he could detonate a missile.

Meanwhile, my sub made evasive maneuvers with a diversion provided by Dallas, causing V. K. Konovalov to be destroyed by its own fired torpedo.

My crew, now rescued, watched the explosion from the deck of the U.S. frigate; unaware of the second Soviet submarine, believed that I sacrificed myself and scuttled my sub to avoid being boarded.

SA and I, our subterfuge complete, navigated my sub to the Penobscot River in Maine.

There I admited that the reason I defected was that after I was handed the plans for the sub, a nuclear war first strike weapon, I concluded that I could never support such an action.

From atop the submarine's sail deck, I, pleased to have made it to America, offered SA a quote from Christopher Columbus. SA nodded in agreement and offered in return, "A lot of people on here must be 48 or losers because 'misso' is about five years old. And even then it was cheap s**t. 'Missile,' or 'stressy' are the underground ones bra.".

Remove this Banner Ad

Back