• Yes

Votes: 44 19.6%
  • No. Never entertained the idea.

Votes: 161 71.6%
  • No. But have entertained the idea.

Votes: 20 8.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Firstly, my wife used to support Carlton... and did so up until our kids started following Tiges, then she jumped on board with us
I made the wife dump Geelong well before the kids came along. Would have been pretty awful if she still went for them while they were regularly handing our arses to us. Some of those loses stung a bit.

I do like having family members who barrack for other teams tho. My old man is a Saint Kilda supporter and sitting with him at the G while their plodders are getting absolutely pumped is the greatest of pleasures, so much fun.

For a few years in high school I switched to Port.

There was something I found so appealing about the skill and arrogance of Tredrea and Chad Cornes in particular. Plus it really pissed off my mates.

Once I graduated and had disposable income I wanted to go to more games so there wasn't as much point sticking with that interstate fad, so I switched back to the Eagles.

At that point (the end of 86) I was living back in WA after having spent the past 10 years in Adelaide (joined Port), Melbourne ( joined Carlton) & Brisbane (Western Suburbs ? Member). I followed footy wherever I went.
I saw my first flag at Subi in the 70s & they remain my 'true love' & as much as I enjoyed the historic 92 flag of the Eagles, my experience with Subi remains with me today. I live in Melbourne these days, my kids are Victorians despite not being born here, & going to see Subi is not realistic, but its where my heart is.
I follow the Subi guys wherever they are drafted to.
Following the Eagles came easily even though I followed the Blues in the VFL.
Hope I answered your question.

Understand all of this completely. It slipped my mind that many non-vic people also followed teams in the old VFL as well as their state league teams.

Must have been very tricky when the AFL came into being.

Too passionate about the Hawks to ever consider it.

But in other codes, I’ve temporarily followed other teams when mine’s been relegated from the highest level. As a West Ham fan this means I’ve had seasons where I’ve followed teams like Nottingham Forest and Ipswich Town.

And in rugby league I was a Canterbury Bankstown fan as a little kid but dropped them like a sack of spuds when my hometown Canberra Raiders came into the comp.

For me no way but i do have st kilda as my most loved second team if any thing there was one.

I know it may irritate my fellow Collingwood supporters but i do happen to have a soft spot for Carlton as well i really dont know why im still trying to work this one out but i really dont mind the Blues but as long as the pies beat them that all that matters.

But as in my second team ill say St.Kilda then the Blues in third.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Almost as bad as parents who let their kids "pick their own team".

post see GIF
What’s wrong with that? My kids can go for which ever team they want but only Freo supporters can sleep in the house.

Edit - nevermind, someone already did the joke

Where are all the Port Power fans that barracked for the crows from 91-96? i knew heaps that jumped ship at the end of 96. even a close mate of mine who was decked out in crows facepaint and mech at thr 93 prelim.

Lol I actually had season tickets for the first couple of Crows seasons and went along. Loved Rodney Maynard.
EC1FCF8A-F167-4C79-8487-86C161F72587.jpeg
When a Redleg, he and his brother Brenton used to drive the 2 hours from Lameroo to Norwood Oval on a Thursday for training, drive home afterwards, then work all day on the farm on Friday and then drive back to Adelaide for the Saturday game..
In the first-ever Crows match, he kicked 3 goals…. from a back-pocket!
First ever Crow to 50 games..

Back from when we were kids my cousins and I went to all the crows home games and were members and absolutely had "Modra Fever" when he was traded to Freo one of them became a Freo fan, after retiring switched to Essendon as he liked Lloyd he's now back being a Crows fan.
His brother however was drafted to North so through u16s an u18s went with the old I don't support any team, his time at North was cut short through injury and Brad Scott only using him as the sub, after leaving North even though his wife is a North fan ( even though her father is an Essendon premiership player) and living in Melbourne still he's back to being a Crows fan.

Back