Having Kids

Remove this Banner Ad

My grandfather was one of twelve.
yeah in both cases the parents are both from large families and they all go to the same church as well

its normal to them to keep having kids

hard bloody work though for a long time

Single income households get absolutely screwed on tax
that we do
I remember having this discussion with some friends years ago

their combined income pre tax was about the same as mine but post tax they were better off

now they had to work more hours between them than I did, at this point I was single in a unit and they had a house with a big back yard and they couldn't work out how

I'm like tax brackets, tax free threshold, cost of living for one person vs 2 isn't that different

they'd also been together for years pooling their resources and I'd only just recently started catching them on earnings

when my partner and I had a kid they stayed home to look after them because pretty much their entire wage would have gone on child care anyway

but we couldn't claim anything for that, really we were lucky we could afford it, I know people where they went back to work for the small amount they ended up with above childcare costs because money was that tight for them

two kids on childcare is a pretty well paying job just to cover it, I know quite a few where once the second kid came along childcare was just too much and back to single income because they were actually better off losing the income than paying the extra fees

and the cost all the way through to retirement for the person who does that is huge, they miss out on years of income and super (not that I am a fan of super but the system is designed around it now)

I earn 55k a year. How the **** do I pay the same tax rate as someone on 100k+.

Srsly. Go **** yourself
/idk who im saying that to.
that is going to get worse in a few months

I earn 55k a year. How the **** do I pay the same tax rate as someone on 100k+.

Srsly. Go **** yourself
/idk who im saying that to.

You pay less actual tax though, looking at 'just' the rate is a bit of a furphy given at $55k you're paying a little under $9k and at $100k they're paying ~$23k

I do think that lowest tax bracket needs to end higher now though, $45k is a little low to start paying 32.5c on the dollar IMO given how much the cost of essentials like rent and mortgages have climbed.

The scary thing is I really have nothing I can cut back on.

Can't cut back on streaming and internet- I dont have it.
Cant cut back on.. well having a life or going out. I dont do it.

Gym is one thing I could sacrifice, but that is my health so nup not doing that. I'm contracted until mid next year anyway..

I pay little in groceries as it is, I cannot recall the last time I bought meat or anything really expensive. Same deal with seafood. Havent bought it in months.

The only option really is to get a second job and pay more *ing tax. *. off.

Always thought I'd have multiple kids like my parents (4 kids). My partner only wants one. As things become more and more expensive (and 6 months into a 30 year mortgage), I think she might be right.

Last edited:
The scary thing is I really have nothing I can cut back on.

Can't cut back on streaming and internet- I dont have it.
Cant cut back on.. well having a life or going out. I dont do it.

Gym is one thing I could sacrifice, but that is my health so nup not doing that. I'm contracted until mid next year anyway..

I pay little in groceries as it is, I cannot recall the last time I bought meat or anything really expensive. Same deal with seafood. Havent bought it in months.

The only option really is to get a second job and pay more *ing tax. *. off.

Not sure why you disliked my post tbh.

RE: the bolded, as in tax in general or because you can't claim the tax free threshold on a second job?

I claim gym on my extras coverage each year. As long as a medical professional is happy to sign off and say they recommend a gym regimen to manage/improve a specific health condition (e.g. weight, mental health, old injury) you can get a decent chunk back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I claim gym on my extras coverage each year. As long as a medical professional is happy to sign off and say they recommend a gym regimen to manage/improve a specific health condition (e.g. weight, mental health, old injury) you can get a decent chunk back.
its really hard to actually claim enough on extras to make them worth having most of the time

we're on a corporate plan through work that is generally better than what is offered retail and it still wasn't worth having extras even with work footing most of the bill

I think we worked out that if we had 2 kids needing braces at the same time that would just barely make it worth having for the years we needed to, but with wait times even then overall you're likely to lose

some people will be in situations where its worth having extras but mostly they are there to fleece customers

honestly don't even know if I'd bother with private hospital cover anymore with all the changes they keep making to the system, I'm just not out of pocket for it so I haven't looking into it for a few years

Lol wut kids aren't expensive?! Childcare, food, medical, braces, schooling?!?!? That's not expensive???
As somone who has a child about to have dental surgery and then braces.....lets just say my 3 weeks on a greek island next year needs to be cancelled.

As somone who has a child about to have dental surgery and then braces.....lets just say my 3 weeks on a greek island next year needs to be cancelled.
I reckon my parents got lucky. Only I needed braces- so thats 1 out of 3 kids.

But yeah I dont envy you at all. Sucks the greek islands is cancelled, thats like my favourite place in the world.

its really hard to actually claim enough on extras to make them worth having most of the time
I always get at least my premium back. Maxing out optical, mental health and preventative health is ~$1,200. Six monthly dental checkups and cleans is another $2-300. Then there's always a few hundred dollars for the random stuff - scripts, fillings, new orthotics, physio for injuries etc.

Granted if I didn't have gold-plated extras I'd probably cut all that stuff back dramatically and spend less overall, but I figure overinvesting on health and wellbeing isn't the worst thing in the world

I always get at least my premium back. Maxing out optical, mental health and preventative health is ~$1,200. Six monthly dental checkups and cleans is another $2-300. Then there's always a few hundred dollars for the random stuff - scripts, fillings, new orthotics, physio for injuries etc.

Granted if I didn't have gold-plated extras I'd probably cut all that stuff back dramatically and spend less overall, but I figure overinvesting on health and wellbeing isn't the worst thing in the world
when we did the sums we had to spend a lot of money to break even on the extras cost, and while there were things like optics and dental with the limits they just weren't enough without going into things we didn't need to be spending on

so for us we were better off dropping the extras and just paying for those things when they come up as overall it was less money spent

but everyone would need to look into their own circumstances to work it out

I reckon my parents got lucky. Only I needed braces- so thats 1 out of 3 kids.

But yeah I dont envy you at all. Sucks the greek islands is cancelled, thats like my favourite place in the world.
I am one of 3 boys and 2 of us had braces. When I tell my parents about the cost of braces they just have a little giggle to themselves.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back