Having trouble finding work

Remove this Banner Ad

Instead of fighting the rebels and causing more pain and angst, we simply sat down with them and asked them what they wanted. You could see the younger guys in the group getting excited as it was probably their first opportunity to slaughter a white guy but the older guys simply said "jobs, health, education, clean water, food" etc etc. We agreed to provide these things and explained that were heard the area was dangerous and would need "security" to protect us for people with guns. We noted they had guns and perhaps that made them qualified for the job!

All it took was understanding what people want and applying the "east perth food van" principle to a problem.
Wow again. How did you get into that situation without getting killed, and how did you get out without getting killed? Your a braver man than me, thats for sure!

How long have you been operating there now? Are they sticking to there word and protecting, or have they started asking for more?

From my experience with some negotiated situations (Nothing like yours), the more you give, the more they want.

Also whats the east perth food van principle?

Wow again. How did you get into that situation without getting killed, and how did you get out without getting killed? Your a braver man than me, thats for sure!

I guess it has just been an evolution of my career and each step a segway into another:

I spent loads of time in 90s working in dangerous areas where there was tribal conflict, racial conflict and separatist agendas with the navy (oh and pirates). Most of this was in Asia so the setting is not that unfamiliar albeit now days without the protection of a military.

Post my navy days I've done loads of business in colourful areas having picked up a bauxite asset in Guinea just after the president was assassinated. Bauxite is the input for alumina and China is the king of alumina. The two issues though is guinea is about as far from China as you can get and China is energy poor and its train lines simply can't support more coal. This lead us to the strategy of "if the bauxite can't go to China, let's bring China to the bauxite".

This "bring China to the bauxite" strategy had the benefits of a sustainable business, lower energy inputs, maximised regional competitive advantages and unlocked countries overlooked due to instability. Turning bauxite into alumina requires caustic and energy (caustic is the waste product of PVC and PVC requires salt).

We then looked for salt and the best place to open a salt mines was Somalia. The middle east has loads of excess energy (and heat) and already has PVC production. A large company would never take the risk but a smaller organisation can relate to locals and their needs without getting caught up in the politics of the nation.

We are still 3-5 years away from completing the strategy but already produce salt and our mine production at full ramp up will be a top 3-5 producer on the planet by size. Not a bad effort considering Rio, Rusal and Chinalco are our competitors.

Adding to the colour, salt mining is dangerous as it's on the coast which is patrolled by pirates. Again instead of hiring security to protect ourselves from the pirates, we hired them and gave them jobs. They in turn talked about the fisheries opportunity to a "right hand man" referred to in a previous (https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/jill-meagher-case.975102/page-6#post-47618645) who's families built WAs fishing industry. These vessels are generating $25,000 per trawl, providing income for the locals whilst the development process continues. We are now doing the same thing for cattle in the Somali highlands.

Oh and having poor health at times (sight, joints etc) is something that village people can empathise with and relate to. They have their struggles and they believe I can help and I have my struggles and they go out of their way to help.

How long have you been operating there now? Are they sticking to there word and protecting, or have they started asking for more?

From my experience with some negotiated situations (Nothing like yours), the more you give, the more they want.

Also whats the east perth food van principle?

The east perth food van principle was a solution to dealing with a problem.

I lived by Wellington Square which is close to the RPH. An aboriginal would be admitted hospital and the whole tribe would come into the city and stay in the park. The adults would never commit crimes as they were happy drinking under a tree but the kids would go hungry and commit crimes. The police wasted resources arresting the kids, locking them up and then as they were kids the penalty insignificant. A group of guys who support the men's shelter around the corner, decided to support a food van in the park. This got the men out so the shelter could be cleaned and of course feed the kids. Amazingly the crime rate dropped.

So the principle is just understand why people do what they do and what people need. In the case of the kids, they're hungry and in the case of separatist, they feel they are oppressed.

We have been in the Philippines for about 6 years but this project ~3 years. Of course people always want more but that is one of the reasons we provide free health and education to women and children but the men have to pay.

By asking men to pay, they need to work. working for us is safer, pays better and their wives are happier they are doing something safe and not at risk of being killed by the army. but like all workers they get fed up with their bosses and jobs at times and will complain to their wives about the "white campaigners". As we have a direct contact with the whole family, they know us and rather than hearing one side of the complaint they defend us and say "those white campaigners that provide education, health etc etc".

We recognise we will dig a hole and at some stage leave as that is mining. In Mindanao, everyone grows the one lime and when it ripens, they all take it to market at the same time and can't sell it. As a solution we built a bottling plant where the limes are bought at three times market and sold into a the CBD area. This provides cash flow, work, training and understanding. I'll come back to understanding but we will do the same for their chocolate industry.

Understanding is a massive issue in places like the Philippines as they never want to finish a job. They're frightened if they finish a job without having more work that they will be sacked, so go slow once they are 80% complete. By working with them, they slowly start to understand that they have to work unsupervised, without being told what to do, make decisions themselves, have the confidence to say "I need help" and that they can leave once the job is done rather than hang around for hours on end doing nothing. I'd rather them learn this on a bottling plant rather than a mining plant where efficiency and outcomes is everything.

Most importantly they will have education, health, a bottling industry, a chocolate industry and whatever other opportunities delivered ahead once we are gone.

Last edited:
Power Raid, Indophil? PM me if you prefer to discuss that way.

No not Indophil. I'm very happy to share views, comments and past business ventures by name but prefer not to name current ones. Especially my uranium venture as that does lead to security issues.

60 g/t. **** me. May as well dig up the dirt and put it straight in the furnace.

The best stuff would be 110g/t - 135g/t Au eq

upload_2016-10-31_8-22-22.png

the gold colour is running 55g/t Au with 5% Cu the grey is plus 50% pb, 7.5% Zn and 700 Ag/t

it is too early to call from as to what we have but my guess is 500m strike, 1.2m width, currently 15m deep but hoping for 100+m. This is sitting alongside thick gold in quartz 5-10g/t (no idea on size as yet) and intersected a pyrite cap of a porphyry.

Worst case is we mine DSO material and best case we have one of the highest grade discoveries in recent times sitting over a porphyry (very large systems which majors like BHP love).

The example of Mindanao is best seen in pictures
View attachment 305588

The bottom right is a google image of islamic rebels taking the city of Zamboanga to seige (google), the bottom left the army killing the terrorists (google), the top right the soldiers leading us to the edge of the jungle and leaving us to make our way on foot to the rebels camp.

It should be noted this all happened under the previous government who had a wishy washy policy and corrupt interests to keep families in power. In my opinion, this was a fertile ground for terrorism as they felt oppressed and disadvantaged.

Instead of fighting the rebels and causing more pain and angst, we simply sat down with them and asked them what they wanted. You could see the younger guys in the group getting excited as it was probably their first opportunity to slaughter a white guy but the older guys simply said "jobs, health, education, clean water, food" etc etc. We agreed to provide these things and explained that were heard the area was dangerous and would need "security" to protect us for people with guns. We noted they had guns and perhaps that made them qualified for the job!

We then came back with indigenous australians and village people from guinea and peru who explained how we operate and what happens in good times and bad times for the mining industry as managing expectations is important. 18 months later we had our title and was held up by the federal government as a role model mining company for creating peace in the area, with world's best practice environmental standards and paying tax (only one of three mining companies in the Philippines doing so).

We have a long way to go to be a serious mining venture but 30,000 tonnes at 60g/t Au eq with the goal of having 200,000 tonnes at 70g/t Au eq by March is not a bad start.

All it took was understanding what people want and applying the "east perth food van" principle to a problem.

I was actually reasonably seriously looking at a job with Pybar over in the Philippines recently. The bit that turned me off was not so much the political landscape over there but the fact that, they don't seem to have any longer term contracts at this point in time, well none that I've been able to find anyway. They're starting to do a fair bit of work up around me now in the Leinster / Wiluna area.

60g/t, wow!!

I was actually reasonably seriously looking at a job with Pybar over in the Philippines recently. The bit that turned me off was not so much the political landscape over there but the fact that, they don't seem to have any longer term contracts at this point in time, well none that I've been able to find anyway. They're starting to do a fair bit of work up around me now in the Leinster / Wiluna area.

60g/t, wow!!

after some pretty dark days for mining, the last 4-5 months have shown promise.

I love listening to Creasy about his adventures and discoveries around Leinster/ Wiluna. The area still shows great promise.

after some pretty dark days for mining, the last 4-5 months have shown promise.

I love listening to Creasy about his adventures and discoveries around Leinster/ Wiluna. The area still shows great promise.

In my first stint over here in the late 80s I was at Agnew, called Emu Gold Mine that WMC owned (it was the one that flooded on 13 June 1989)
. Perseverance Nickel Mine was in care and maintenance along with the town, we all lived in camp about 100m from the mine at Agnew. They were finding plenty of gold then.

Fast forward almost 30 years and Goldfields now own it (BHP didn't want it when they acquired Nickel West :eek:) and they're still finding gold hand over fist. Some at pretty handy grades too.

They have Lawlers now too. They shut the camp down out there and moved them all into town.

Sorry I haven't checked my thread in awhile. Still haven't had much luck. A few interviews here but no job. Tried a volunteering position but they had me hole punching and folding papers so decided it wasn't for me. I'm not against another volunteering position but really would like paid work. Seriously never thought I'd have so much trouble finding a FT work after resigning from my position last year. :(

The job market is pretty bad at the moment across Australia. Stay in there though. Keep up tutoring.

Have you explored using your University connections that you obtained with your PHd? There could be some job prospects for those roles via networking there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sorry I haven't checked my thread in awhile. Still haven't had much luck. A few interviews here but no job. Tried a volunteering position but they had me hole punching and folding papers so decided it wasn't for me. I'm not against another volunteering position but really would like paid work. Seriously never thought I'd have so much trouble finding a FT work after resigning from my position last year. :(
You were getting work exp and had a foot in the door and something to put on your resume but didn't like it so you quit.

With that attitude it's no wonder you are not getting past the interview stage.

You were getting work exp and had a foot in the door and something to put on your resume but didn't like it so you quit.

With that attitude it's no wonder you are not getting past the interview stage.
Anyone who needed work experience to learn how to punch holes in paper and fetch coffee, is not someone id ever want to hire.

Free labor is all that is. Never work for free.

Anyone who needed work experience to learn how to punch holes in paper and fetch coffee, is not someone id ever want to hire.

Free labor is all that is. Never work for free.
You go in somewhere, punch some holes and file some papers but you can also keep your eyes open, build relationships, ask questions, go to meetings, learn about operations and internal processes and ask for more responsibilities.

It's was the wrong attitude to have full stop. Take initiative.

You go in somewhere, punch some holes and file some papers but you can also keep your eyes open, build relationships, ask questions, go to meetings, learn about operations and internal processes and ask for more responsibilities.

It's was the wrong attitude to have full stop. Take initiative.
Far out, whats wrong with getting paid a bit while doing that?
Oh, and was he even allowed to go into meetings, and hassle the paid employees with questions and thing?
Only reason for him to learn would be to take someone elses job.
Let me know which employee wanted to help him out so that he could eventually be replaced by the new guy.

Far out, whats wrong with getting paid a bit while doing that?
Oh, and was he even allowed to go into meetings, and hassle the paid employees with questions and thing?
Only reason for him to learn would be to take someone elses job.
Let me know which employee wanted to help him out so that he could eventually be replaced by the new guy.

fwiw i just spent the last half an hour area printing a few 'mudmaps', marking them up, scanning them and then punching hold and filing them.

and lol at only to take someone else's job. many companies looking to expand might see this as a good opportunity to try before they buy. the kicker here is to put a time limit on the try period so you don't get exploited. I got offered a 1 month trial doing this exact same thing. i just never followed through because my first preference ended up offering me a job 2 days later after i agreed to this type of arrangement.

its about learning for yourself so you can take that to a potential employer and say hey look! I've got these basic skills already and I understand why abc needs to get done for xyz to work efficiently because I've seen/done it before.

yeah sure if you are being proactive and getting nothing let it ago but don't just give it away because on the surface you are punching holes and filing paper. its the wrong attitude to have and the best employers always look at attitude. at the very least you get a reference on your resume that will put in a good word for you if you've gone about it the right way.

Attitude Attitude Attitude.

For HR/Admin/data entry jobs, they might consider you as over-qualified. On your resume, you don't have to put down your doctorate, maybe just your masters? You can write down your work experiences which should include responsibilities and key achievements for each one. Also, outline your key capabilities and the qualities that describe you. You can also volunteer in your selected fields and build up your resume like that. It's also very important to write very clearly and use examples for questions that an organisation may ask you in an online application or F2F interview. Follow the STAR method.

Employers turn you down if you are not smart enough.

Employers turn you down if you are too smart.

What do they want?

Data Entry? And you have a Ph.D.?
****s sake mate, use the obvious God given skills you have.
Don't waste the last however many years of study you've put in for a s**t menial job that you WILL get bored of.
I had to work my arse off getting a degree in finance many years ago after deferring Uni to do a plumbing apprenticeship. Many late nights doing pat time study that could've been handled if I'd just applied myself after high school and gone to uni.
Don't waste it mate, you will regret it.

You probably would have made more money as a plumber.

I have been having trouble finding work as well.

One thing that bothers me is the long list of requirements that are in job ads. Now, some things are necessary, but are employers really only going to hire those who tick EVERY box?

For example, I was looking at doing courier work or delivery driving. But most ads REQUIRE that you own a van or truck, buy one or lease one, and I have even seen ads which require them to be white and under 5 years old.

Really? I don't own a truck or van, and being out of work, I can't afford to buy one, plus insurance, rego etc.

Why doesn't the employer have a fleet of vans, for the couriers to drive? It could be included as part of the ermployee's salary, and the employer can then get a tax refund for purchasing the truck fleet, insurance etc.

I remember a guy I knew who was a salesman, and he drove around in the company car. He didn't have to pay for anything for the car, except some petrol.

Also, I try for warehouse jobs, but every one requires that you have a forklift licence. Why? Surely, a warehouse would have a team of people, and a couple can drive the forklift and others pack and put things on it. Why does everyone have to drive the forklift?

I makes me wonder if a lot of employers are really serious about finding an employee. A lot of people who run businesses are workaholics and may be quite happy to do the job themselves, and save paying a wage to someone else. I don't get the long list of demands that employers want from an employee all the time.

How it should work is this. There are non-negotiables, such as being able to do the job that is required, being reliable, flexible, honest, of good character etc. But there are other things which would be preferred and the employer would like his employees to have, but aren't essential. Putting too many requirements really limits the field, and means that he or she may miss out on some great workers because they don't fit ONE requirement, so then don't apply.

In the end, if you are an employer really looking for an employee, don't waste your time doing an ad unless you can be flexible and open the field to more candidates, which you then have the right to weed out. But some of the requirements might be used once or twice in their working career there, so only put not-negotiables in the ad, and then weed out people during the interview stage. You either want a worker or you don't.

Surely with a Psychology degree you can get something like aged care work or residential care work.

One thing that bothers me is the long list of requirements that are in job ads. Now, some things are necessary, but are employers really only going to hire those who tick EVERY box?

Also, I try for warehouse jobs, but every one requires that you have a forklift licence. Why? Surely, a warehouse would have a team of people, and a couple can drive the forklift and others pack and put things on it. Why does everyone have to drive the forklift?

I makes me wonder if a lot of employers are really serious about finding an employee. A lot of people who run businesses are workaholics and may be quite happy to do the job themselves, and save paying a wage to someone else. I don't get the long list of demands that employers want from an employee all the time.

How it should work is this. There are non-negotiables, such as being able to do the job that is required, being reliable, flexible, honest, of good character etc. But there are other things which would be preferred and the employer would like his employees to have, but aren't essential. Putting too many requirements really limits the field, and means that he or she may miss out on some great workers because they don't fit ONE requirement, so then don't apply.

In the end, if you are an employer really looking for an employee, don't waste your time doing an ad unless you can be flexible and open the field to more candidates, which you then have the right to weed out. But some of the requirements might be used once or twice in their working career there, so only put not-negotiables in the ad, and then weed out people during the interview stage. You either want a worker or you don't.

They get hundreds of applications for a job so essentially they put strict criteria in to actively discourage people to apply that don't meet all the requirements as they don't have time to go through thousands of applications if they were loose with their ad.

If you are going for a warehouse job without a forklift license look for a picker role with a big retailer. Coles/Woolworths etc. They take big groups of people when they hire so your chances are much better on application.

For example, I was looking at doing courier work or delivery driving. But most ads REQUIRE that you own a van or truck, buy one or lease one, and I have even seen ads which require them to be white and under 5 years old.

Really? I don't own a truck or van, and being out of work, I can't afford to buy one, plus insurance, rego etc.

Why doesn't the employer have a fleet of vans, for the couriers to drive? It could be included as part of the ermployee's salary, and the employer can then get a tax refund for purchasing the truck fleet, insurance etc.

I remember a guy I knew who was a salesman, and he drove around in the company car. He didn't have to pay for anything for the car, except some petrol.

You're targeting work with low barriers for entry so you better upskill or move on.

Have a look at crown casino. They are always looking for staff because it's very transient. You're almost guaranteed a gig if you can speak English. The only challenge is the intake from time of an (successful) interview can be a few weeks as they stage their training.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back