News Hawk Stratton a Rising Star

Remove this Banner Ad

Haw_StrattonRising_246.jpg

Hawthorn's Ben Stratton is the round 14 NAB AFL Rising Star nominee

• By Luke Holmesby 9:00 AM Tue 06 July, 2010

MATURE age seems to be all the rage in the AFL this season, as the league has been filled with stories of debutants in their 20s having an instant impact.

Hawthorn defender Ben Stratton might not have had the headlines afforded to Fremantle’s Michael Barlow and Geelong’s James Podsiadly, but he has achieved something that those two can’t - a NAB AFL Rising Star nomination.

Stratton was just eligible for the award, having turned 21 on March 1 this year, the cut-off being December 31.

Since he was drafted from East Perth with selection 46 at last year’s NAB AFL Draft, Stratton has not looked back, playing 12 of a possible 14 games for the Hawks.

After a series of solid performances in the back half for the Hawks, Stratton was rewarded with a rising star nomination after his 19-posession game against the Western Bulldogs in round 14.

The West Australian native has quickly become a valuable part of the Hawthorn defence, and coach Alastair Clarkson has seen no need to hold him back, giving him some tough tasks such as dual Brownlow medallist Adam Goodes.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/97562/default.aspx

About bloody time well done Sratts........:thumbsu:

About f%$ken time!

I remember it took forever to nominate Cyril. Then when it came to the votes they gave it to that ball butcherer who has gone missing since.

This years will be awarded once again on stats.

About f%$ken time!

I remember it took forever to nominate Cyril. Then when it came to the votes they gave it to that ball butcherer who has gone missing since.

This years will be awarded once again on stats.
thats where they get confused he has done his job quitley each week shuting down some big names along the way correct me if I'm wrong but i cant remember 1 kicking error from Mr Stratton plays like a 100 game back man

Hats of to our Recruiting Team makes up for Thorp IMO & has shown more than Dowler in 12 games hope Dowler can get a chance but i doubt it.

Seriously overdue, really great to see a nominee who doesn't just rack up cheap possessions. I must admit that I find it seriously hilarious that Michael Hurley still hasn't been nominated this year. I thought he was the second coming of Carey or something?

Good on ya Stratts!

Well done Stratton - how impressive is he? Slots into the Hawks backline and plays like he is veteren. About the only one who consistently wants to grab the thing in a marking contest, always has a crack and is always ready to take the game on.

He is no chance to win it though. Tate Pears bearly got a vote in his break out year and he was at least as good. Backman simply do not feture in these awards. Even in the AA team the backman have to relinquish at least 2 spots to midfielders.

Hats of to our Recruiting Team makes up for Thorp IMO & has shown more than Dowler in 12 games hope Dowler can get a chance but i doubt it.

Thats' the WA boys lead by Bucky :thumbsu:

<grizzlym should listen to the kipster, grizzlym should listen to the kipster, grizzlym should listen to the kipster>

:D...don't worry grizzly, without blokes like you I wouldn't be here to start with :thumbsu:

Unfortunately Strats is never going to win it as the Rising star will be another midfield award... Great job though young fella, a very important cog in the 7 straight wheel.

Yep, great to see him getting some recognition, but as others have pointed out the award will unfortunately not end up in the hands of a backman anytime soon.

Just loved his game on Friday night. Made all the hype on this board seem deserved, and that's saying something - we've been pumping the boy up!

I reckon he got nominated for his dive off the pier as much as his game though...:)

Who cares if he doesn't win the award?

Would be great to see him do it though, and with no clear favourite for the Rising Star this year he might even be a chance.

Good nomination by the committee, Stratts has been excellent from day one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rockliff & Hannebury would be logical choices, both have played some great footy with Rockliff the more consistant, if you were looking for a first year player to snatch it, Dustin Martin is coming and he's coming hard - by season's end he could be the favorite if he can continue on in the same vein, which I believe he will.

Congratulations to him though - already integral to any plans of a premiership assualt.

great to see he is getting recognition for his awesomeness!!!

well from people other then us

We all know we have the best recruit of the year

Well deserved. Very astute selection.

All in all our trade period/draft hasn't been too bad.

Stratton has been a find. Burgoyne has shown how valuable he is without hitting top gear yet. Hoops and Gibson have looked really solid in the games they have played and Mark Williams can't even get a game for the Bombers. (Mind you, I am not celebraing that...I loved Willo and would loved him to have played out an excellent career with us - Just commenting on how things have worked out). Skipper has filled his role admirably too.

Rockliff & Hannebury would be logical choices, both have played some great footy with Rockliff the more consistant, if you were looking for a first year player to snatch it, Dustin Martin is coming and he's coming hard - by season's end he could be the favorite if he can continue on in the same vein, which I believe he will.

Congratulations to him though - already integral to any plans of a premiership assualt.
i'd add trengove and scully to the mix. trengove currently favourite with the bookies, followed by hannebury. personally i'd give it to martin or hannebury but martin is ineligible due to suspension i think.

i can see some merit to additional awards such as best 1st year back/forward, primarily due to the midfielder bent we see in all the awards these days.

well done to stratts, he plays with experience beyond his years.

i'd add trengove and scully to the mix. trengove currently favourite with the bookies, followed by hannebury. personally i'd give it to martin or hannebury but martin is ineligible due to suspension i think.

i can see some merit to additional awards such as best 1st year back/forward, primarily due to the midfielder bent we see in all the awards these days.

well done to stratts, he plays with experience beyond his years.

Yes, Martin is ineligible.

thats where they get confused he has done his job quitley each week shuting down some big names along the way correct me if I'm wrong but i cant remember 1 kicking error from Mr Stratton plays like a 100 game back man

Are you saying Thorp was no good?

Congrats to Stratts and the recruiting department.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back