MRP / Trib. Hawkins - 1 Week suspension for contact with an umpire

What sanction, if any, will Hawkins receive?

• 2 weeks

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Another change on the fly for players to navigate

UMPIRES will no longer advise players of their intended exit path at centre bounces and ball-ups as the AFL seeks to address increasing delays in restarting play.

The AFL announced on Wednesday it had written to all clubs to advise them of the change, which will take effect from round nine.

AFL football operations manager Steve Hocking said the time taken to restart play at stoppages had been gradually increasing and all players should now be aware that umpires head straight back from any bounce or ball-up.

It was the responsibility of players to avoid this area at any stoppage, Hocking said.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-05-16/no-more-warnings-on-umpires-exit-path
Love it. Of course the delay is because of the umpire telling the players their exit path. Nothing to do with their monumentally stupid rule change to have the rucks nominate, oh no not that.

UMPIRES will no longer advise players of their intended exit path at centre bounces and ball-ups as the AFL seeks to address increasing delays in restarting play.

The AFL announced on Wednesday it had written to all clubs to advise them of the change, which will take effect from round nine.

AFL football operations manager Steve Hocking said the time taken to restart play at stoppages had been gradually increasing and all players should now be aware that umpires head straight back from any bounce or ball-up.

It was the responsibility of players to avoid this area at any stoppage, Hocking said.

The AFL have it wrong again,the hold up in the game is in the rucks having to nominating,not the umpire saying I'm backing out here,bring back the third man up and just get on with the game.
Edit should have read on before posting.

Love it. Of course the delay is because of the umpire telling the players their exit path. Nothing to do with their monumentally stupid rule change to have the rucks nominate, oh no not that.

Joke isn't it.
They change something completely irrelevant to the time it takes to throw the ball up and ignore the stupid rule that IS creating the issue.
I don't think the rule needs to change though, just get into the umpires to speed things up (not looking around for a ruck and waiting while one jogs to the contest from 30m away, just a quick "whose up?" if no-one from 1 team then throw it up with "no ruck xxx").

And as usual a few on here and many on other boards miss the point. It's not about Tom or Geelong, it's about the moralising and posturing of the AFL one week and the abondonment of said posturing the next. Not the first time the AFL has done this either.

Having said that I do agree with no umpire contact. But umpires need to get out of players' faces too, and stop trying to over-intervene. Hello Razor.

atleast danger stuck his neck out and stood up for Hawkins. Pity Scott didnt.

He was doorstopped by ch 9 on the way into training and had a few things to say about it. How confusing it is.

But don’t let the truth get in the way of your scott hatred.

And i believe the cats press conferance is today so we will probably hear what else he has to say.

Geelong. Cops it sweet, moves on, earns the respect of Buckley. Hawthorn. Throws the toys out of the cot, earns the scorn of Longmire.
Also, regarding Geelong seemingly being hard done by ... We roll over and take it up the arse while other clubs fight the good fight.

Pretty simple. I'm not sure why the club itself needs to complain.

The Club has approached this whole situation by adhering to our culture and playing the long game. We play the game as it should be played.

Like it or not Tom f***d up and rather than make up a BS scenario the Club and Tom have been truthful and accepted the penalty. As fans we should support this and be appreciative of the powerhouse we are now and how we show strong Leadership and adhere to our Culture.
At the end of the day the inconsistency of the tribunal is a farce and gets the blood boiling but won't effect the way we behave or operate. We are Geelong.

There will always be discussion and opinions in footy but as I sit here I'm so proud of how the Club and Tom have handled themselves.
Leadership and Culture are alive and well in Catland :thumbsu:

The Club has approached this whole situation by adhering to our culture and playing the long game. We play the game as it should be played.

Like it or not Tom f***d up and rather than make up a BS scenario the Club and Tom have been truthful and accepted the penalty. As fans we should support this and be appreciative of the powerhouse we are now and how we show strong Leadership and adhere to our Culture.
At the end of the day the inconsistency of the tribunal is a farce and gets the blood boiling but won't effect the way we behave or operate. We are Geelong.

There will always be discussion and opinions in footy but as I sit here I'm so proud of how the Club and Tom have handled themselves.
Leadership and Culture are alive and well in Catland :thumbsu:
Yep, fair call and good post.

:eek:

Hawthorn is the AFL's love child! Clarkson goes crying to Gilligan + gets a lollipop!

Agree about Sydney + KOLA.

Whose players get made examples of at the Tribunal? Certainly not Hawks or Swans!
The joke of it is that Clarko started the blocking, especially of the man on the mark which is totally unfair and at times dangerous (just ask Tom R). And the Hawks campaign by him and Lethal to stop the third man up (Blitz) that they also started and used regularly (Good Bloke and Gibson). He is a great coach no doubt, but he is a whingeing, cheating & sniping little prick.

That feels better.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Leadership and Culture are alive and well in Catland
:thumbsu:

I do agree with the way Geelong + Hawkins accepted the penalty + applaud your post F2G.

What makes me angry is that Gleeson forced a plea bargain onto Ilhe + therefore Hawkins. No matter what evidence was produced, Hawkins was forced, well coerced, into accepting one week.

After all the posturing about not making contact with umpires, the next round there were three incidents.

To me it's irrelevant whether May was demonstrating, it was just as effective to prove what happened without touching the umpire.

To have three incidents where umpires were touched + fines given makes a mockery of the Tribunal process.

Hawkins was referred straight to the Tribunal. His umpire contact was no worse than the other three, so all three players should have gone straight to the Tribunal. IF the AFL is serious about stopping players from touching umpires their rulings have to be consistent.

My issue + anger is because the AFL is inconsistent!

My issue also, is that the Dwarf can have coffee with Gilligan, while every other coach resolves issues through the right channels. Why is Clarkson allowed preferential treatment?

BTW fellow posters:
I'm stating my opinion that I think Hawkins' contact with the umpire was no worse than the other three. It's an opinion, I don't propose to get into a discussion about it.

So now Margetts theoretically umpires this week game between the Bombers and Geelong,he gives Tommy 4 legitimate Clarko frees for being manhandled/blocked with in kicking distance and it's screamed from the rooftops Payback by the commentators/press and 17 other groups of supporters.So that's not going to happen,Is Margetts now compromised for Geelong games?

Either Whateley or Robbo said on 360 that Margetts said he did not feel threatened by Hawkins.

If that was the case, even if it was produced at the Hawkins' Tribunal case, Gleeson had already shafted Hawkins by forcing him to accept one week.

Can't remember which incident from the weekend but one of the umpires said he couldn't recall being touched.

Isn't Margetts the Hawks fan boy, who goes on team trips with them? Or was that Stevic?

Starting with:

- sack Christian (he's obviously incompetent)
- appoint 3 new MRP members
- Hocking to spend time in reviewing MRP recommendations (I reckon he's signed off on Christian's referrals without proper scrutiny)
- Institute open tribunal hearings broadcast on the AFL website (unless there is a serious privacy issue which would be in rare circumstances)
- precedence acceptable as a defence

That's enough for starters to get things into better shape
Add - no bullying players into accepting one week, or they'll go for two! The AFL's counsel must have faith in the system.

Delays in restarting play? :rolleyes:

Another of my anathemas is the deterioration of centre bounces. Too many bounce at a poor angle + are recalled to be re-bounced. Also too many are not recalled giving a team a slight advantage. That's a delay I'd like rectified.

Not talking about 100% accuracy every time, umpires are human. It's just that I've noticed a slump in accurate centre bounces.

The joke of it is that Clarko started the blocking, especially of the man on the mark which is totally unfair and at times dangerous (just ask Tom R). And the Hawks campaign by him and Lethal to stop the third man up (Blitz) that they also started and used regularly (Good Bloke and Gibson). He is a great coach no doubt, but he is a whingeing, cheating & sniping little prick.

That feels better.
Yes, Hawks began the third man up tactic, but what annoyed the Dwarf + Lethal was that Geelong perfected it with Blitz :p

It's acceptable if the Poos+Wees are the only ones doing it + are the best at it, but if another team is better at that tactic, it disadvantages Hawthorn + must be stopped! :rolleyes:

Add: the Dwarf is a sook, who runs to Gilligan for a 'There, there, I'll make it better for you" :mad:

Sicily wasn't made an example of, though, was he?

He’s continuously getting scrubbed out causing displeasure requiring comparison by applicable coach to a likeness. Which is suggestive, rub him out you rub me out; no wonder the angry ant went off to see the AFL. Wont stand for second of having his players made an example of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

As I said earlier they miss the point.

One suspects the decision was made referring to the guidelines to support struggle street; just Steve hadn’t got around to updating it on the basis of the tom’s decision.

One Curnow at least will get a week surely. Hocking seem to leave some wriggle room though if goes against AFL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

For those who defend May getting off:

AFL legal counsel Jeff Gleeson QC says ‘’it’s not OK to touch an umpire to make a point, get their attention, start or end a discussion, shepherd or pat them’’

i defended may getting found guilty of the lesser charge, and also agree with the above.

Back