MRP / Trib. Hawkins 2 weeks, Duncan 1

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think I've ever seen everything go to s**t so badly in a Geelong season in such a short amount of time. In two weeks we've gone from 'genuine contender' to 'absolutely no chance of getting anywhere near it.' Wow.
Apart ftom selwood still have a month to get it right. We have to win one of our home games v Tigers and GwS and hopefully the Collingwood game. 2 out of those 3 gives a top 4 spot.

Just quietly Daz, I've been disenfranchised since Joel got reported for pushing his brother years ago. Who would you recommend to follow in the NFL? What are your three fav teams? (Everyone has a second team, sometimes third).

Mine was when Selwood was suspended from grainy vision and when Kelly and BJ both said to the tribunal that a hit from Kelly DID NOT HIT THE HEAD but the tribunal decided both were lying and upheld the suspension. From there I knew where the game was heading.

Oh and NFL, I'm a Saints fan, love watching the Pats (that will stir some up) and a have soft spot for the Colts.

Plenty of brain dead people who believe it was Hocking on his lonesome just like the brain dead people who think Wells makes all the draft decisions on his own.

Time for a clean out. Both of them, they've done a great job over the years but I've reached my limit. Their time is up. Bomber knew he was done and now they have to.
Stop getting injury prone players, start respecting past champions better and bloody stand up for what you believe in.
I don't give give a stuff about 0-1-2 weeks now i just want to see the club support and back each other.
Hocking I guarantee doesn't.

I don't think I've ever seen everything go to s**t so badly in a Geelong season in such a short amount of time. In two weeks we've gone from 'genuine contender' to 'absolutely no chance of getting anywhere near it.' Wow.

The next few weeks are going to tell alot about our clubs resilience and heart. How good would it be to stick it up the MRP, AFL and all these critics writing us off by winning against all the odds.

Cmon Danger, rev the boys up and lets have a red hot crack at turning the season around! Go Catters!

Last edited:
That is one of my fears about this. We are now a target. Richmond defenders will be scragging, niggling, punching etc from the moment the game starts because they know we will be under strict instruction not to defend ourselves. We also are apparently not allowed to tackle.
Still seething over the Danger one. Duty of care my ass. What about Blicavs being tackled from behind without the ball and having his legs wrapped up, resulting in a broken leg?? Where was Slaone's duty of care relative to the consequence off his action?
Because the media during and immediately after the game didn't make an issue of it the MRP didn't review it.
Ralph, McClure, Stevens et all play a massive part in the MRP process, the footy public doesn't like to admit just how big a part they play.

Proud Geelong fan all my life. Whole family is right back to 1800s. I go to every victorian game and at least 1 interstate game each year.

I will not be attending anymore games this year because of how spineless our club has become.

We need a review. Bring back Bomber, Balme and Costa. Hocking and Scott have to go.

We are as soft as any club both on and off the field.

I might come to the GWS game to see off SJ.

AND I WILL WEAR ORANGE.

Seriously get a hold of yourself!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its about time that the AFL had independent doctors at matches and for MRP issues. At the game they could assess concussions and make recommendations on whether a player is safe to return or not for example. I just wonder if it was a final or if Carlton needed to win to make finals, would Kruezer have returned to the field?. Gut feel is most certainly which means Danger would have had no case to answer. But because they are crap and were getting toweled up, there was no need for him to return to the field which sealed Dangerfields fate at the MRP. An independent body would have put all those if, buts and maybes to bed.

Relying on a club doctor to give a non-bias report or assessment is like asking your mate to be a reference on your CV or give a character reference in court. Its always going to have plenty of mayo on it.

Also, as been mentioned plenty of times before, the system is broken if a player cannot defend them self without risk of extra penalty if the initial charge is upheld. A tribunal by definition is "a body established to settle certain types of disputes" but players and clubs are refusing to defend themselves for that very reason.

Instead of extra weeks, they could maybe look at larger financial sanctions which are picked up by club and player. Maybe $20k on a 75% club/25% player system for example. Resulting monies can be put towards the injured players fund.

Thanks bud. Good luck the rest of the year.

I wondered when the trolls would come.

Remember big tough Tex jamming a guys head into a post then going ooops 'sorry I didn't mean it when I pushed your head into the post I was channeling Hodge coz he got away with it'.

Pathetic from the club. I'd expect nothing less from Hocking though. Fell into the job after Balme left.

Sent from my SM-A300Y using Tapatalk

Noooo don't think so. He was set up to do this job 10 years ago via transition. The club did well to hold onto Balmey as long they did by the way.

I'm done with Steve Hocking. Move him on! Handles departures poorly and I know this because I spoke to him personally in the change rooms the year after chapman left.
They basically did not get on.

Who'd ya speak to, Steve or Chappy?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone who thinks that Hocking made this decision all on his lonesome without talking to his boss (Cook) and Scott as a minimum really must be clueless.

I'd say this was cooky's call anyway. Hocking would have wanted to challenge as would Scotty but the QC come back with 50/50 so difficult to challenge. It was intentional but surely low impact to get a fine. Its ridiculous but the AFL from the middle of the season indicated that hits out of play would be given higher scrutiny. The AFL no doubt have indicated a home final if we play our cards right. The problem is its now very likely we will lose all three.

How the hell can the MRP get away with upping the penalty if a challenge fails? Ludicrous. Could you imagine if this was applied in a court of law everytime an accused wanted to challenge a ruling?? "Sorry there bud we have just increased your sentence for challenging our ruling even though there may be a chance your innocent or we got it wrong." @#$% off!

Some countries have that you know!

Just quietly Daz, I've been disenfranchised since Joel got reported for pushing his brother years ago. Who would you recommend to follow in the NFL? What are your three fav teams? (Everyone has a second team, sometimes third).

Jumping in but Storm, Storm, Storm. Cameron Smith had unfortunate incident where the other guy was left paralysed and I'm not sure he even got a week of for it.

The last two weeks is like 2016 compressed for cats fans.

This is the issue, its funny how the AFL seem to get what they want at times, at the moment they want:

Melbourne Contending.
Sydney and Buddy winning and all over the TV in NSW
GWS winning and all over the TV in NSW.
Essendon winning more games than they are losing.
Richmond playing in front of 60k week in week out at the MCG

Every decision is made about this. Geelong was supposed to be heading down the ladder now. But sadly the AFL did not look at the English Premier League model and realise that having your own ground is more profitable than playing at the MCG or Etihad, example of this working outside of Geelong are:

GWS in Canberra.
Western Bulldogs in Ballarat
Hawthorn in Launceston
North in Hobart

The Geelong Model works, its against what the AFL want and they are now punishing us for it.

Examples of the above are:

McVeigh 0 Weeks, Hawkins 1 and now 2.
Buddy 0 weeks, Duncan 1
Move heaven and earth to make sure Martin wasn't suspended, but hang Dangerfield out to dry.

I am as frustrated as the next person, but when the AFL have you in the gun, its hard to get out.

Cooky would know this well. When he presented for the CEO role he indicated a way that the AFL could become a values based organisation. The board sfellowed at him and who sfellowed most was a crook who supports Essendon and this was just before the essendon saga started. The funny thing is the AFL did everything it could to protect Ess and Hirdy yet Ess feels aggrieved with them. Classic head up ass organisation drinking their own coolaid; Both.

The AFL has gone onto not only have the ess saga, but tanking sagas from Carlton and Melb. Sex scandals by promoting predators to senior roles. In this scenario you are dead right Lionbear (??) about the AFL. I understand they were very rude about us not moving to Docklands all those years ago and are still keen to punish us somehow we have apparently been told.

Its about time that the AFL had independent doctors at matches and for MRP issues. At the game they could assess concussions and make recommendations on whether a player is safe to return or not for example. I just wonder if it was a final or if Carlton needed to win to make finals, would Kruezer have returned to the field?. Gut feel is most certainly which means Danger would have had no case to answer. But because they are crap and were getting toweled up, there was no need for him to return to the field which sealed Dangerfields fate at the MRP. An independent body would have put all those if, buts and maybes to bed.

Relying on a club doctor to give a non-bias report or assessment is like asking your mate to be a reference on your CV or give a character reference in court. Its always going to have plenty of mayo on it.

Also, as been mentioned plenty of times before, the system is broken if a player cannot defend them self without risk of extra penalty if the initial charge is upheld. A tribunal by definition is "a body established to settle certain types of disputes" but players and clubs are refusing to defend themselves for that very reason.

Instead of extra weeks, they could maybe look at larger financial sanctions which are picked up by club and player. Maybe $20k on a 75% club/25% player system for example. Resulting monies can be put towards the injured players fund.

Don't think Kreuzer returned, to be fair.

Ideally, doctors are held in such high regard that they shouldn't be biased, but I think an independent 'third party' doctor to assist is not unreasonable.

Additionally, I think it'd be an idea to offer clubs a 'penalty free' tribunal review of ONE MRP call per year. A bit like the cricket or tennis.

I wondered when the trolls would come.

Remember big tough Tex jamming a guys head into a post then going ooops 'sorry I didn't mean it when I pushed your head into the post I was channeling Hodge coz he got away with it'.

I didn't think he was trolling. Just thought he was first to post we are not fighting the suspension on Mitch as we hadn't seen a formal statement from the club.

Go 49ers.

Who'd ya speak to, Steve or Chappy?

Steve. I was lucky I got invited into the change rooms after round 1.
Steve approached us and asked who our favourite player was so I could meet them but I said Chappy and started asking why it was in our interests to let him go.
Asked a few questions but he may have got slightly irritated and was saying how Chappy was at fault etc etc. instead of talking about how good he was as a player it was just negativity from him.
Chappy had a few offside including Steve.

Mine was when Selwood was suspended from grainy vision and when Kelly and BJ both said to the tribunal that a hit from Kelly DID NOT HIT THE HEAD but the tribunal decided both were lying and upheld the suspension. From there I knew where the game was heading.

Oh and NFL, I'm a Saints fan, love watching the Pats (that will stir some up) and a have soft spot for the Colts.
Yeh, Kelly's bump. That was a shocker. I don't know why gfc get shafted by the MRP.

I'm a huge 'Tallica fan so might watch a few 49ers games.

Thanks bud. Good luck the rest of the year.
Only reason I came here was to check if you guys had appealed ... then went to AFL and saw the article.

I was certain you'd appeal Duncan's charge. No way the impact was anything but LOW. Would have pretty easy to argue I would have thought, even with the Sydney medical report.

Hawkins one was cut and dry, just cannot jumper punch high - especially not with a bad record.

To all the people saying "One of these minimal striking incidents will cost someone a GF", we all know that now - so if someone does it (even if it's our captain who is on 1 strike) I reckon they are dumb beyond belief.

Just don't punch, don't jumper punch ... it's pretty clear now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back