News Hawkins a Cat for life - 2 year extension

Status
Not open for further replies.
Geelong’s Coleman medal winning full forward Tom Hawkins has signed a new two year contract that will see him extend his stay in the navy and white hoops to 16 years.

Hawkins, who debuted for the Cats in 2007, has booted 603 goals, third most in club history, in his 277 games. He led the AFL in both goals and goal assists in 2020, en route to his first Coleman medal and third All Australian selection.

“Tom’s form line is ascending, and we believe he will continue to improve as a player,” Geelong’s general manager of football Simon Lloyd said.

My Tilly

Premium Gold
Jun 30, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
Not sure why we couldn't offer him the one year as big guys are notoriously prone to succumbing to niggling injuries at the end of their careers.
There's no reason why he can't manage another 45+ games but it will be a tough ask considering his continual back management and playing at 33-34 years of age.

Not sure why we couldn't offer him the one year as big guys are notoriously prone to succumbing to niggling injuries at the end of their careers.
There's no reason why he can't manage another 45+ games but it will be a tough ask considering his continual back management and playing at 33-34 years of age.
Why such negativity? How many games did Tom miss in 2019 and 2020 due to injury?

Why such negativity? How many games did Tom miss in 2019 and 2020 due to injury?
I can tell you Tommy missed less weeks than the poster you quoted did thru the season thats for sure.

GO Catters

But i thought he was going to Essendon? :huh:
Guess the family connection of the 'fifth cousin who married into the family & twice removed'*, and worked at Essendon wasn't a strong for Tom to move from the family farm to play in the big city

*I can't remember the actually family connection but that's good enough

Spearman

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 15, 2017
expatriated in East Asia
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Ohio State Buckeyes

showed what using your brains out there can do. too many look like all they are trying to do is get a hand to the ball. they good ones are playing like basketballers. it is so great to watch vets with a ton of experience play with a body that can still go nearly full out. that brief overlap of strength/speed and wisdom is just a joy. :thumbsu:
and please no, don't put him into center square bounces. :)

BIGANT

Premiership Player
Jan 19, 2006
Glenelg
AFL Club
Geelong
showed what using your brains out there can do. too many look like all they are trying to do is get a hand to the ball. they good ones are playing like basketballers. it is so great to watch vets with a ton of experience play with a body that can still go nearly full out. that brief overlap of strength/speed and wisdom is just a joy. :thumbsu:
and please no, don't put him into center square bounces. :)
Tomahawk just needs to get back his confidence in kicking snags again. Especially the boundary shots around the corner.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back