Hawkins elbow

Remove this Banner Ad

Agreed it will likely just be a fine.

But he won't get any more leeway this season in any further incidents so he'll have strive to be more mindful.
He’s never been given leeway before- alway gets rubbed out, sometimes for 50/50 stuff, sometimes he deserves it, so it will be interesting to see.

He’s never been given leeway before- alway gets rubbed out, sometimes for 50/50 stuff, sometimes he deserves it, so it will be interesting to see.

Let's face it, this stuff is all based on commentator outrage - that's how Jetta can get a week for the softest, slowest, drop-on-the-spot, one single movement tackle.

There wasn't really any outage so should be all good. Damn shame that's how it works, but it's the way it is atm.

He will need to dish out another one of those plus a punch to the head over the next 3 weeks if he wants a 1 week rest.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seems about right.

A bit careless, but geez we're getting soft if we want a bloke to serve time for that.
Not a "bit" careless, but very careless for Hawkins. Just when I thought his brain fades were a thing of the past.

AFL corruption strikes again.

Soldo’s one set the precedent,Ablett does worse,gets a one week rest so he can play his grand final Friday and Hawkins wacks a bloke and gets a 3k fine and pat on the bum from Hocking.

AFL,nanny state.

The frustrating part is that precedent doesn't apply -- it lets the AFL ignore all the decisions they got wrong.

Personally think Soldo should have been a fine too, but don't have a problem with the Hawkins decision.

My biggest issue is with claims that player actions are deliberate or not -- simply put, there shouldn't be any such thing as "delibrate, low impact" because I just can't see anybody actually intending to hit another player high and not actually doing a proper job of it.

The frustrating part is that precedent doesn't apply -- it lets the AFL ignore all the decisions they got wrong.

Personally think Soldo should have been a fine too, but don't have a problem with the Hawkins decision.

My biggest issue is with claims that player actions are deliberate or not -- simply put, there shouldn't be any such thing as "delibrate, low impact" because I just can't see anybody actually intending to hit another player high and not actually doing a proper job of it.
Richmond should have argued insufficient force for Soldo and he would of got off
(he shouldn't of been suspended either way)

Not a "bit" careless, but very careless for Hawkins. Just when I thought his brain fades were a thing of the past.

Don't know much about the guy's track record to be honest.

Watching the video of the incident, I have no idea what he was trying to achieve. It didn't look like an attempt at a hit, to be sure, but otherwise I can't think what the blazes he was doing. "Brain fade" might actually cover it! :)

Was a clear accident and he apologized right away.

Couldn't find a more gracious player

The thing with Hawkins is that he is a recidivist. How many times throughout his career has he been found guilty of minor little taps and jumper punches? Every year there seems to be some outcry about “you can’t suspend him for that”... yep, none of them really deserve more than a fine maybe, but clearly the message isn’t getting through. Surely he is at the point now where they have to look at his record and start with a week off.

The thing with Hawkins is that he is a recidivist. How many times throughout his career has he been found guilty of minor little taps and jumper punches? Every year there seems to be some outcry about “you can’t suspend him for that”... yep, none of them really deserve more than a fine maybe, but clearly the message isn’t getting through. Surely he is at the point now where they have to look at his record and start with a week off.

Thats the way it used to be with carry over points. It was terrible, watching guys get weeks for pitiful incidents.

This way is better, but people need to understand the consistancy is in the result not the action. The guy Hawkins hit sprung 10 feet off the ground and was at full gallop as soon as 50 was given, I don't remember Soldo's result but I assume he stayed down a few seconds which got him the week.

The Hawkins hit as well as all of Ablett's make sense with a view on the damage actually done to the victim.

Thats the way it used to be with carry over points. It was terrible, watching guys get weeks for pitiful incidents.

This way is better, but people need to understand the consistancy is in the result not the action. The guy Hawkins hit sprung 10 feet off the ground and was at full gallop as soon as 50 was given, I don't remember Soldo's result but I assume he stayed down a few seconds which got him the week.

The Hawkins hit as well as all of Ablett's make sense with a view on the damage actually done to the victim.
I understand your point but IIRC quite often a suspension for a minor infraction would follow because of a more serious offence previously. Ie Someone would have a two week suspension, accept the early plea and have carry-over points right near the limit. A tummy tap would then have been enough to get the points over the limit. So yes, I agree that could result in some terrible decisions at the tribunal.

But with Hawkins (for example) now there must be five or six(?) incidents. Surely it reaches a tipping point where the tribunal decides that punishments are not acting as a deterrent.

But with Hawkins (for example) now there must be five or six(?) incidents. Surely it reaches a tipping point where the tribunal decides that punishments are not acting as a deterrent.
But that’s is not how the system works. Don’t forget Hawkins was fined + had a 50 metre penalty awarded against him. It’s his first blemish in 2019.

Hawkins probably saw Nankervis get away with throwing the forearms around a few weeks ago. Players are keen to find a loophole to violence. If you go to AFL.com you can view Crisso explaining his fine for Hawkins thusly: 'I used my psychic powers to determine that it was not an intentional act.' He goes on to say that he gave Sicily a fine for a body punch instead of a suspension 'because I'm a ******* idiot.' Crisso shouldn't be so hard on himself. Speaking of violence, Rhyce Shaw took a page out of Richmond's book, and told his players to tackle to hurt. I've never been so proud of him. I always knew he'd make a great coach.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back