Brownlow Medallist
Aug 13, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Fremantle Sharks
Yeah definitely an accident but punishments are outcome based this season

See what happens from the hospital visit, looked pretty nasty

The guy that Fyfe ran into like a deer to headlights copped 2, so start at 2 weeks

Sky

Doctor Demise
Feb 14, 2021
NT
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Raptors, Storm, Chelsea
It’s Tom Hawkins and we are Geelong. Just ban him for the remainder of the season so everyone else is happy.

Can’t see anything from this. The tackle put Hawkins off balance and the contact came from the same motion as his handball. Very unfortunate but clearly not intentional.

Lampers

Premiership Player
May 27, 2004
Eastside
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Melbourne
It’s interesting as it looks accidental on the surface, but I’m confident the action of Hawkins was deliberate to make hard contact, but his intent was not to hit May in the head and cause that sort of damage with that contact.

Yes, Hawkins is getting tackled and May is creating some of the momentum towards himself with the tackle, but that tackle doesn’t make an arm that just hand passed in the opposite direction then come back with the massive amount of force required to do that damage. A flailing arm doesn’t hit that hard, Hawkins has definitely chosen to bring his elbow back.

It’s a legitimate football act to use force to try to break a tackle, but I wouldn’t be shocked to see it classed as reckless/careless because that’s what it was.

It appears the outcome is concussion, as well as a fracture. If it had been a bump instead of an elbow we know Hawkins would be in massive trouble on the “elected to do it, and these are the outcomes” sentiment.

I had a guy who was clearly a footy player go knee up into my ribs and kidney area playing basketball. I’m confident he wasn’t trying to hurt me and he apologised and all, but it was reckless and it’s why three weeks later I haven’t been able to run or play basketball, still can’t sleep properly because I can’t lie on my side without pain and am posting this at 3am...

Last edited:

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
It's an accident, there's a chance it wasn't but you can't ******* prove that so no way it should be a suspension. Unlucky as * for May an hopefully it's more on the minor side.

Cripps 'n' Blue Bloods

Sir Cripps of Carlton House
Mar 26, 2015
Bendigo
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Melbourne Tigers, Bendigo Braves, OKC
Yeah definitely an accident but punishments are outcome based this season

See what happens from the hospital visit, looked pretty nasty

The guy that Fyfe ran into like a deer to headlights copped 2, so start at 2 weeks
Not sure about that. Was an odd and unnecessary flailing of the arm. I'm convinced he knew what he was doing.
Obviously didn't intend to cause such a significant injury, but I think there was definitely some intent to cause contact.

flyinghi64

Premiership Player
Dec 7, 2006
perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Scorchers
May actually contributed to the impact by pulling Hawkins toward him,
If Hawkins gets anything then it is a joke.
You can't get any more of an unintended accident.

Cripps 'n' Blue Bloods

Mar 26, 2015
Bendigo
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Why exactly did he raise his elbow?

I feel like if he wanted to hit May in the head and disguise it as an accident, he's done exactly that.
Yep, I found it weird and unnatural the way his arm went.
I've given up trying to guess or care about what's worthy of suspension or whether the head is or isn't protected. If a Swans player can literally punch a guy in the head with no consequence, then they may as well just allow full on brawls.

Oct 16, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
I came here looking for the Daniel thread and why he copped 1 but that AFLW player didn’t.
However that’s silly of me thinking anyone cares about the Bulldogs or Daniel or even AFLW.

I find this thread instead 🤦‍♂️
At least I can see who the trolls are and the ones that aren’t.

DanWA

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 13, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Fremantle Sharks
Not sure about that. Was an odd and unnecessary flailing of the arm. I'm convinced he knew what he was doing.
Obviously didn't intend to cause such a significant injury, but I think there was definitely some intent to cause contact.
Intent really isn't a thing anymore, it is largely outcome based

As we saw when fyfe knocked him self out running blindly into another player

Cripps 'n' Blue Bloods

Mar 26, 2015
Bendigo
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Intent really isn't a thing anymore, it is largely outcome based

As we saw when fyfe knocked him self out running blindly into another player
I wasn't really talking about it in terms of the MRO, more about what was going on in Tom's brain.
Having said that, the port of call for the MRO is literally intentional or careless.

Back