Hawkins is a brain dead flog (with cool gifs :-p)

Remove this Banner Ad

I think we can all see that any interpretation of that based on the number of steps taken is wrong. The rule says you must bounce it after running no more than 15 metres. Nothing to do with club loyalty or this individual adjudication, but it really annoys me this is not properly policed. I can understand where a player runs 16m he might be given the benefit of the doubt, but just about anyone should be able to tell a player running 20+ metres has gone over 15m and this is even without the assistance of 50m lines, goal square markings, the centre square etc to help judge.
I'm not even sure what the rule book says, just what I observe, and it's clear they look for 15 steps. If they were strict on 15m, we'd see players bouncing every half dozen steps or so when at full stride.

As long as they're consistent with their application, doesn't really matter, does it?

The one that really annoys me is the "Western Bulldog handpass" (it's rife, not just at the dogs, but they really utilised it in their premiership year). Amazing how the ball can travel almost 180 degrees to the direction the fist is coming through at. They've found a way to defy physics... or perhaps they're throwing the ball!?!

Sent from my CPH1951 using Tapatalk

I'm not even sure what the rule book says, just what I observe, and it's clear they look for 15 steps. If they were strict on 15m, we'd see players bouncing every half dozen steps or so when at full stride.

As long as they're consistent with their application, doesn't really matter, does it?

The one that really annoys me is the "Western Bulldog handpass" (it's rife, not just at the dogs, but they really utilised it in their premiership year). Amazing how the ball can travel almost 180 degrees to the direction the fist is coming through at. They've found a way to defy physics... or perhaps they're throwing the ball!?!

I am certain the rule says you have to bounce the ball at least once before running 15 metres with it, but I cannot lay me hands on a reference for it quickly.

Given that, and in a world where the world record triple jumper can travel 18 metres in 3 steps, it is cleqr to see that any interpretation based on the amount of allowable steps is shockingly flawed if you set the limit at 15 steps. I can’t speak for others but I would personally find it much easier to judge the distance a person has run at full speed than to count his steps whilst running full speed. So to me that is a silly way to try to judge how far someone has run anyway. And that is before you consider the fact this interpretation of the rule discriminates in favour of players with longer strides.

Change the rule, or change the interpretation, because at present this is a mess.

I completely agree with you on the handballs by the way, the umpire should just figure out which hand is propelling the ball and if it is not the punching hand then it is a throw.

I am certain the rule says you have to bounce the ball at least once before running 15 metres with it, but I cannot lay me hands on a reference for it quickly.

Given that, and in a world where the world record triple jumper can travel 18 metres in 3 steps, it is cleqr to see that any interpretation based on the amount of allowable steps is shockingly flawed if you set the limit at 15 steps. I can’t speak for others but I would personally find it much easier to judge the distance a person has run at full speed than to count his steps whilst running full speed. So to me that is a silly way to try to judge how far someone has run anyway. And that is before you consider the fact this interpretation of the rule discriminates in favour of players with longer strides.

Change the rule, or change the interpretation, because at present this is a mess.

I completely agree with you on the handballs by the way, the umpire should just figure out which hand is propelling the ball and if it is not the punching hand then it is a throw.

17.12 OTHER
A Free Kick shall be awarded against a Player who:
(a) throws the football;
(b) hands the football to another Player;
(c) whilst in possession of the football, does not bounce or touch the football on the ground at least once every 15 metres, irrespective of whether such Player is running in a straight line or otherwise. For the purposes of this Law, a Player shall be deemed to be in possession of the football during the period when the Player kicks or handballs the football to themself and regains possession without the football touching the ground.

How can Dwayne from SEN think Hawkins hasn't pushed a player for a long time. FFS his he even watching the game.
Another who call the game he imagines he is watching

Yeah 15 stepped run by both Balta and Short who runs the furthest!?

That run was 17 steps on my count and 30m distance covered (conservative estimate - 45m out till 15m out).
So which ever way you look at it, he ran too far.
I had to watch it a couple of times to make sure he didn't bounce it. It's unbelievable that it wasn't brought up by the commentators. What's funny is you can see a couple of Tiger supporters behind the goals stand up and throw their arms out Tom Porkins style, clearly appealing for running too far.

Fat prick as well

Love how even being a cheating halfwit he can't even take the simple mark under zero pressure.

giphy.gif

2 things I want from this era of AFL

1. Dangerfield to never get a Premiership medal
2. Hawkins to finally start getting the attention he deserves from the public and umpires.

:(

What I don't understand is how umpires who routinely pay a mark for a ten metre kick (Hello Maggies) can't call a free for running twenty metres without bouncing the ball (Hello Buddy)?

Both are meant to be adjudicated based on fifteen metres as a minimum or maximum respectively.

When I was younger, I could measure such distances in my head to within a few inches. No kidding. If you do it often enough (I did in my work) it becomes second nature. Umpires clearly don't practise such skills. But, then, I suppose there's no point in practising a skill one never intends to use!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back