Hawkins off the ball hit, weeks or finals discount?

Remove this Banner Ad

Im shocked to be sitting here reading about the Vic media doing everything possible to get Hawkins off.

B b but it was in play.

So the swinging arm to head all of a sudden isn't intended?

Its the same BS when the Swans and AFL made up crap to get Barry Hall off after he intentionally hit his opponent and dropped him.

The intentional v careless outlook is believable when the ball is being contested, not 50m away. "He tried to spoil the ball in the marking contest but punched the guy in the head instead", thats careless with a stretch.

But the ball wasn't anywhere near them, you could see it bouncing away in the background 50m + away. Hawkins wasn't even looking at the ball as he swung his arm to Schofields head.

But we won't be at all surprised with whatever the outcome of the AFL chook lotto system looking after its favorites.

It depends on if Schofield wants to sink Hawkins or not

He could easily say he felt dizzy and nauseous post game and claim the infamous "delayed concussion"; in which case, Hawkins would have to miss.

I bring this up because when we have gone to the tribunal over matters like this, other clubs medical reporting have done us absolutely no favors

Would prefer Hawkins to be playing this week, as I don’t think the Cats can win without him. But, in my opinion it would be an absolute travesty and a manufactured outcome if he is allowed to play. Totally unnecessary and dangerous blow from Hawkins.

He could easily say he felt dizzy and nauseous post game and claim the infamous "delayed concussion"; in which case, Hawkins would have to miss.

I bring this up because when we have gone to the tribunal over matters like this, other clubs medical reporting have done us absolutely no favors
West Coast's medical report says Schofield was assessed at three-quarter time and required no further investigation. It says Schofield had "moderate pain to his temple" as a result of the blow.

So no jaw and cheekbone contact.

It doesn't matter that Hawkins didn't mean to intentionally hit him. Any strike off the ball is to be deemed intentional. If that is his argument, he will not get off.

West Coast's medical report says Schofield was assessed at three-quarter time and required no further investigation. It says Schofield had "moderate pain to his temple" as a result of the blow.

So no jaw and cheekbone contact.

That's a good start for Hawkins, however, Schofield will likely be called to give evidence at the tribunal.

So he could still sink him. All he would have to say is something like "as a result of the hit, I still have a persistent headache and mild nausea"

And again, other clubs have done us zero favors in these matters

Hawkins says: "The only way I felt like I could get away, other than turning my back on play, was to pull my arm out as forcefully as I could." With my arm freed, I was confident I could whack him in the mouth and get away from him as intended.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's a good start for Hawkins, however, Schofield will likely be called to give evidence at the tribunal.

So he could still sink him. All he would have to say is something like "as a result of the hit, I still have a persistent headache and mild nausea"

Well he could. But then there's Tim Kelly.

What favour does WC need? You're out.

What favour does WC need? You're out.

Cases in point; examples

McGovern and Gueli

Eseendons medical report: Guelfi sustained a "slight" concussion as a result of a bump

McGovern rubbed out

Nic Nat tackles Karl Amon

Ports medical report: Karl played out the game, but sustained a delayed concussion post game

Nic gets rubbed out

These are not isolated incidents. The point of these examples: the old mates act and other teams medical reporting hasn't been kind to us, and there would be zero from stopping Schofield from easily claiming something similar at the tribunal tommorrow

Let's hope, for Geelongs sake, he is old school and upholds the players unwritten code. Because we aren't being done any favors when the shoe is on the other foot

From the feed now

"Hawkins says he has known Schofield since school and says he is friends with him outside of footy "

He knows he's completely f****d.

Cases in point; examples

McGovern and Gueli

Eseendons medical report: Guelfi sustained a "slight" concussion as a result of a bump

McGovern rubbed out

Ports medical report: Karl played out the game, but sustained a delayed concussion post game

Nic gets rubbed out

These are not isolated incidents. The point of these examples: the old mates act and other teams medical reporting hasn't been kind to us, and there would be zero from stopping Schofield from easily claiming something similar at the tribunal tommorrow

Let's hope, for Geelongs sake, he is old school and upholds the players unwritten code. Because we aren't being done any favors when the shoe is on the other foot
The tribunal is sitting now not tomorrow. As in as we speak.

Cases in point; examples

McGovern and Gueli

McGovern rubbed out

Nic gets rubbed out

Well they're friends so I don't think he'll be "sinking" him too much.

If the Eagles are smart they will help get him off. I feel dirty saying that!

Going into the Kelly negotiation Id rather be on speaking terms rather than hating each others guts.

Hawkins deserves a week but there is no benefit to the Eagles helping in rubbing him out.

Hawkins says: "The only way I felt like I could get away, other than turning my back on play, was to pull my arm out as forcefully as I could." With my arm freed, I was confident I could whack him in the mouth and get away from him as intended.
Tldr:
I didn't think I was good enough to beat him on ability so tried to ko him with a cheap shot instead

I love how no-one is commenting on illegal holds here, that should be paid as free kicks before the fact.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back