Hawkins off the ball hit, weeks or finals discount?

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 16, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Oh well we move on, no more appeals and hopefully it galvanises the group.
It’s gonna be tough but I think Geelong will be focussed on the job at hand and be competitive.

This game reminds me of the 2013 PF vs red hot favourites Hawks where Chapman got suspended and Enright was injured.
This time it’s Hawkins and Duncan.

I’m not as annoyed with the suspension as I’ve basically been with every other suspension we’ve ever copped. I must be in agreeance with the MRO/tribunal for the 1st time in my life.
I don’t like it but our club must move on.
Another preliminary final - I love the cats being involved again this time of year.
Nerves are up, tigers are a big challenge- bring it on!

May 29, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Golden State, New York Jets
Didn't give the cats a big chance beforehand anyway, now I'm afraid it's going to be an absolute mauling. Ratogulea is going to have to have a 2018 Mason Cox prelim type performance and then they could be in with a sneaky chance.

The only bloke melting is the one with 10 posts in a row. That's fear.

There’s so many of you petrified cats posters to respond to. But, don’t tell me, you (sfellow) think you’re a chance? I tell you, the best radio call is Dwayne Russell calling the 2017 Cats/tigers final. Pregame and first half, so arrogant and cocky. By the end of the third, he was shrieking uncontrollably. It was sheer joy to listen to. Understand this, every single tiger supporter was hoping for a Geelong prelim. West Coast we respect. You guys? Not in the slightest.

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
I can’t believe three things:

a. That he is able to play again this year, should have been at least 2-3 weeks for that punch
b. That Geelong had the front to appeal it
c. That people are comparing it to and still whining about Cotchin PF 17 - he was going for the ball, are people blind?

You can intentionally belt somebody in the head in the AFL, and if you’re lucky enough only to make a low impact (they might move etc at the wrong time), you’ll probably only get one week.

Otherwise you can end up like Gaff and get 8 weeks.

The AFL system places enormous significance on “impact”.

Apr 12, 2011
Yarraville
AFL Club
Sydney
You can intentionally belt somebody in the head in the AFL, and if you’re lucky enough only to make a low impact (they might move etc at the wrong time), you’ll probably only get one week.

Since the MRP came in , it’s like they are heavy handed in minor incidents but are lenient on more serious ones like this.

Hard to see how he could get off given the nature of the incident and just fortunate there wasn’t an injury and adverse medical report. 1 sounds a bit right. Probably should have been 2-3 to stamp it out but if the Catters make the GF, he’s back.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong

As does the judicial system in general.

Drive while on your phone = ~$400 fine.
Kill someone while doing so = years in prison.

Apr 12, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Hard to see how he could get off given the nature of the incident and just fortunate there wasn’t an injury and adverse medical report. 1 sounds a bit right. Probably should have been 2-3 to stamp it out but if the Carter’s make the GF, he’s back.

Pretty much.
No damage done, low impact.
But you can't go around hitting people.

Hawks_4478

All Australian
Jan 19, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I wish he would get off that show. Does himself no favours by being out in the media, do that stuff when you are out of the game Chris.
He’s actually good value; he speaks very well and is interesting (unlike Alan Richardson who put me to sleep). The only problem is that Chris Scott has been on 360 way too often. It would be better if they could spread it around and get different coaches on every week,but perhaps the other coaches aren’t interested in doing it.

Micksy

Premiership Player
Feb 16, 2006
Ballarat
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Cowwarr, Fish Creek
There’s so many of you petrified cats posters to respond to. But, don’t tell me, you (sfellow) think you’re a chance? I tell you, the best radio call is Dwayne Russell calling the 2017 Cats/tigers final. Pregame and first half, so arrogant and cocky. By the end of the third, he was shrieking uncontrollably. It was sheer joy to listen to. Understand this, every single tiger supporter was hoping for a Geelong prelim. West Coast we respect. You guys? Not in the slightest.
Imagine if we Bradbury'd a win!

What a shambles.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's a good point. There seems like no inbetween.

No way is Gaff strike 8 times worse than Hawkins. He just managed to connect a bit cleaner.

Jul 4, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
It's a good point. There seems like no inbetween.

No way is Gaff strike 8 times worse than Hawkins. He just managed to connect a bit cleaner.
The most violent action I've seen in the modern game was Hall and he got his right whack. 3 incidents where the arm seemed to be moving in slow motion or maybe perfect timing were Houli Vickery and Gaff. Actions much less violent than Hall but caught there unsuspecting victims flush and the damage was equivalent or in the gaff case greater

Aug 15, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
Whatever happened to getting heftier penalties when you had a bad record? Seems to have just disappeared.

Was it Bartel defending Greene?.. “you have to look at this incident in isolation“

Pfft

BF Tiger

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 5, 2007
9th
AFL Club
Richmond
Whatever happened to getting heftier penalties when you had a bad record? Seems to have just disappeared.

Was it Bartel defending Greene?.. “you have to look at this incident in isolation“

Pfft
Yes! If you are a recidivist you deserve longer. Plain and simple.

Toby Greene and Tom Hawkins in the same week throw this properly into the light.

Apr 12, 2011
Yarraville
AFL Club
Sydney
This was why the MRP was actually bought in, but in reality it has upgraded minor incidents and been more lenient on major incidents.

Tom Lynch punched Jeremy Laidler in the stomach 3 years ago and it didn’t even make it past the MRP.

They wonder why people have no faith in AFL full stop

Jan 19, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
He’s actually good value; he speaks very well and is interesting (unlike Alan Richardson who put me to sleep). The only problem is that Chris Scott has been on 360 way too often. It would be better if they could spread it around and get different coaches on every week,but perhaps the other coaches aren’t interested in doing it.

He speaks well, it would be a good show for him to go on when he finishes coaching us and then he can do all the media he likes.

Chocoholic

Senior List
Nov 24, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong

Pfft

That was ditched by the AFL a few years ago.

Take your blinders off.

Chocoholic

Senior List
Nov 24, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
I can’t believe three things:

a. That he is able to play again this year, should have been at least 2-3 weeks for that punch
b. That Geelong had the front to appeal it
c. That people are comparing it to and still whining about Cotchin PF 17 - he was going for the ball, are people blind?

a. He was lucky that the other player was fine, so just the week due to the medical report and the grading of the MRP.
b. We had nothing to lose but a bit of money by appealing. Worth the small chance he would be cleared to play.
c. Cotch was not going for the ball, but you can't compare the two. As stupid as it was he wasn't suspended at least that was in play and Richmond made a good narrative at the Tribunal. Mind you not having a go cause you made a narrative, everyone does it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back