Hawkins off the ball hit, weeks or finals discount?

Remove this Banner Ad

I can’t believe three things:

a. That he is able to play again this year, should have been at least 2-3 weeks for that punch
b. That Geelong had the front to appeal it
c. That people are comparing it to and still whining about Cotchin PF 17 - he was going for the ball, are people blind?
No different from the swans appealing the Barry Hall one, the week was set up to disappear on appeal, had there not been so many nasty incidents this final series, I reckon at least Hawkins would have got off too. No way he pulled my hair is an excuse for throwing someone head first into a fence, and yet it was, no way Bonts eye scratches should have been ignored, it’s a farce, and Christiansen is an embarrassment

It's a good point. There seems like no inbetween.

No way is Gaff strike 8 times worse than Hawkins. He just managed to connect a bit cleaner.
That’s the thing isn’t it, that’s why intent needs to be looked at harder.
Obvious moves to take a player out of the game should be carded.
The incident I’ll never forget is those dirty bastard Scott brothers giving it to Nick Riewoldt when he broke his shoulder at the Gabba, so bloody disgusting, so unsporting. That’s not football.

The most violent action I've seen in the modern game was Hall and he got his right whack. 3 incidents where the arm seemed to be moving in slow motion or maybe perfect timing were Houli Vickery and Gaff. Actions much less violent than Hall but caught there unsuspecting victims flush and the damage was equivalent or in the gaff case greater
The Gaff hit is a great example of why you should keep a cool head and not clock people, even if they are winding you up.

The most violent action I've seen in the modern game was Hall and he got his right whack. 3 incidents where the arm seemed to be moving in slow motion or maybe perfect timing were Houli Vickery and Gaff. Actions much less violent than Hall but caught there unsuspecting victims flush and the damage was equivalent or in the gaff case greater
Good example with Vickery v Cox. Similar force & angle to the Hawkins punch, except he broke Cox's jaw. Vickery was also grappling with Cox at a boundary throw-in and had his eye on the ball when he swung his right arm & fist towards Cox. It was a dog act, but he could at least argue he was trying to push Cox back and get himself into the front position.

Hawkins was looking straight at Schofield when he swung his fist. There was no football reason for him to do that - if he'd really wanted to shake clear of the block and make a lead towards the ball, he would've swung his arm at Schofield from left to right and pushed off in that direction. Really, it was nothing more than a deliberate dog shot from Hawkins and he is bloody lucky he only got one week.

Geelong players must have halos around their heads. Always the good guys with the media on their side. It doesn't matter how many people Hawkins belts, nobody ever calls him out for being a thug. It's always a "mistake" and "what a great guy" he is... :rolleyes:

Good example with Vickery v Cox. Similar force & angle to the Hawkins punch, except he broke Cox's jaw. Vickery was also grappling with Cox at a boundary throw-in and had his eye on the ball when he swung his right arm & fist towards Cox. It was a dog act, but he could at least argue he was trying to push Cox back and get himself into the front position.

Hawkins was looking straight at Schofield when he swung his fist. There was no football reason for him to do that - if he'd really wanted to shake clear of the block and make a lead towards the ball, he would've swung his arm at Schofield from left to right and pushed off in that direction. Really, it was nothing more than a deliberate dog shot from Hawkins and he is bloody lucky he only got one week.

Geelong players must have halos around their heads. Always the good guys with the media on their side. It doesn't matter how many people Hawkins belts, nobody ever calls him out for being a thug. It's always a "mistake" and "what a great guy" he is... :rolleyes:

Far be it for me to defend Vickery (never liked him) but Cox gave him an elbow to the guts a few seconds before this apparent 'dog act' and Cox has to have a glass jaw. Vickery was within his rights to whack him back in response, although the outcome was worse than expected.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back