Analysis Hawks 2022 Hypothetical trades (read the pinned post)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Firstly, the "No Kane Cornes" Rule is back

Last edited by a moderator:
Would like us to continue to look at draft capital through trade and bring in established talent via FA.
FA targets:
Amon
Cottrell
Brayshaw

Trade targets I think would suit us:
J.Sharp
Hollands
Robertson
Laurie
Bruhn
Flanders

I'd love for us to really target Gold Coast and look to get a similar deal to what Freo got from them last off-season...

• Titch + 2022 third for Sharp/Flanders 2022 second round
  • Gunston (we take salary) + 2022 second for GCS 2022 first round

I think we'll see something like
Brocky for 2022 third round WCE

I wouldn't be surprised if we saw something along the lines of

- Worpel + 2022 third round for Geelong 2022 round one

I expect we'll see all of Shiels, Big Boy, Smitchell, Saunders, Hartigan, & Howe all moved on too- combine that with a couple smart trades and we'll be another very different looking team again next year!

Hopefully we are into Flanders and Sharp

I see this on here a lot, but I'm not really seeing what others are.

He's kicked 5 goals.

1 more than Mitchell.

2 more than Worpel.

Less than first year player Connor Macdonald.

He's actually averaging the least amount of disposals he's ever averaged in his career.

We need the O'Meara who was in All Australian form in the first 6 weeks of 2021. We're currently getting a role player. We need the former.

I can understand your point. But I do see it a bit different.

I don't really see a high half forward as a goal kicker. It's more about being able to push up into the midfield as an extra number. Most importantly, I think it's about being able to accept you're a role player... it's a big adjustment for players that have predominately been told they're a key mid.

Say what we will about the Cats, but Selwood moving to the wing and contributing without dropping his lip really speaks volumes to him as a leader. This is what I have seen from O'Meara this year.

Also, high half forward is about winning key one-on-one battles. Often on the wing and flanks you have key moments to win the contested ball and get it going your teams way, when the opposition isn't set. I think O'Meara has been exceptional at this. He's winning key moments, important moments for us this year. He 's been as damaging as he has been for us IMO.

I disagree we need him to be an AA talent. I wish he was. But he's not. That's passed. But he is accepting his reduced role, leading and having an impact. He's found a way to lead as a role player. Mitchell isn't capable of this.

Full bloody credit to O'Meara. In many ways, he's having the best year he has as a Hawk for mine.

Last edited:
I see this on here a lot, but I'm not really seeing what others are.

He's kicked 5 goals.

1 more than Mitchell.

2 more than Worpel.

Less than first year player Connor Macdonald.

He's actually averaging the least amount of disposals he's ever averaged in his career.

We need the O'Meara who was in All Australian form in the first 6 weeks of 2021. We're currently getting a role player. We need the former.
Agree. He has always had his fan club on here - a lot of people clung to his Gold Coast potential and highlights for years.

Like every season he has played at Hawthorn, he’s played a couple great games, a couple terrible games and in the bulk of games he’s been a role player. He’s one of our low impact players, same as Mitchell, Worpel, Shiels, who has the occasionally great game. The reliance on that group has led us to repeated finishes near the bottom of the ladder. Other clubs are wise to it which is why nobody took us up last year when we put them up for trade

I do agree that unlike the others JOM has been able to play a role outside of the midfield which is something they cannot do. Given that and the fact Mitchell is the better player and midfielder (and therefore of more external interest), I think Mitchell is the one more likely to be traded. But we won’t get a first rounder for him like we hoped for last year. Clubs just don’t rate these low impact guys

Hawthorn receives: Tanner Bruhn, GWS R3 pick (currently 41), a future 4th

GWS receive: Chad Wingard, Hawthorn future second, 2022 third round selection (currently 51)

2022 draft hand: 4, 22, 41, 62, 76

Risk assessment: Acquire a first round midfielder from only 2 drafts ago.
Lose veteran with X-factor.
Lose a second round draft selection in 2023.

Last edited:

GWS receive: Chad Wingard, Hawthorn future second, 2022 third round selection (currently 51)

I assume you think Clarko will be coaching GWS for Wingard to go there?

He refused to be drafted by GWS, and has refused to be traded to GWS

I assume you think Clarko will be coaching GWS for Wingard to go there?

He refused to be drafted by GWS, and has refused to be traded to GWS

In this hypothetical scenario, sure.

Would you entertain this trade?

My thought process being that we draft Sheezel at pick 4 who offers that mid/fwd X-factor in Wingard place, but as a long term option.

I’d love a way of doing this without losing the future second. While rebuilding we need as many picks inside the first 20-25 as we can.

Agree. He has always had his fan club on here - a lot of people clung to his Gold Coast potential and highlights for years.

Like every season he has played at Hawthorn, he’s played a couple great games, a couple terrible games and in the bulk of games he’s been a role player. He’s one of our low impact players, same as Mitchell, Worpel, Shiels, who has the occasionally great game. The reliance on that group has led us to repeated finishes near the bottom of the ladder. Other clubs are wise to it which is why nobody took us up last year when we put them up for trade

I do agree that unlike the others JOM has been able to play a role outside of the midfield which is something they cannot do. Given that and the fact Mitchell is the better player and midfielder (and therefore of more external interest), I think Mitchell is the one more likely to be traded. But we won’t get a first rounder for him like we hoped for last year. Clubs just don’t rate these low impact guys
I think last Friday night against the Doggies was a good example of JOMs time at the Hawks.

The previous couple of weeks he had been very good but then on a prime time Friday night match up against a strong midfield he was basically unsighted (of course he had plenty of mates in this regard). It was almost predictable.

He's a role player now, much the same as Chad/Mitchell/Gunston/Bruest/Shiels. Nothing wrong with that but our days of relying on these players to change a match by their own efforts on a weekly basis are gone.

In terms of trade value I really struggle to think we would get much value for any of them now so would probably rather keep them on the list TBH.

Hard to get many key trades done from our perspective, we can't afford to be giving up our 1st rounders whilst they're likely top 5 picks and we don't have that many assets of value to package in a trade.

Would be awesome if we could package a Wingard or Mitchell for some young talent or a better draft hand, but I think that's pretty unlikely.

Hard to get many key trades done from our perspective, we can't afford to be giving up our 1st rounders whilst they're likely top 5 picks and we don't have that many assets of value to package in a trade.

Would be awesome if we could package a Wingard or Mitchell for some young talent or a better draft hand, but I think that's pretty unlikely.
Yeah, we tried last year to move them on without success, and they have been worse this year. Better off keeping them now, unless we want some salary relief for a big trade.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, we tried last year to move them on without success, and they have been worse this year. Better off keeping them now, unless we want some salary relief for a big trade.

Wingard is out of contract I think ? I'd be offering him 200k less probably than what he is on now.

Wingard is out of contract I think ? I'd be offering him 200k less probably than what he is on now.
Based on this year's output you'd be thinking you'd be lucky to get 10 to 15 games a year out of Chad (that's being generous) and of those 10 to 15 he will probably be off injured in a couple.

He might still have ability but how much in reality are you willing to offer a player like that?

Not a bad idea to include Chad but that's overs for us. Bruhn is worth between pick 12-20 for mine. Chad and a pick swap is about right. Maybe swapping 2nds.

Based on this year's output you'd be thinking you'd be lucky to get 10 to 15 games a year out of Chad (that's being generous) and of those 10 to 15 he will probably be off injured in a couple.

He might still have ability but how much in reality are you willing to offer a player like that?

You're paying for a handful of good games a season, not worth a top 20 pick.

Dog Tongue GIF
Has dog had a stroke?

What chance is it for Buddy to do a "Ablett Junior" and come back and play for us again for about 2 years? Would be a good influence/ mentor for our young forwards like Lewis and co.
When is his contract finishing in Sydney anyway?

Contract ends this year but Sydney have been working on an extension all season.

Dunkley demands a trade, Lobb and English would be a great pairing.
Wouldn't expect a positive reaction when your name pops up though, so play on.

On VOG-L09 using BigFooty.com mobile app

And you genuinely believe that Melbourne would/should accept such a lousy return on Jackson?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back