Analysis Hawks 2022 Hypothetical trades (read the pinned post)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Firstly, the "No Kane Cornes" Rule is back

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope the turmoil at scum creates some angst & players see the unity we're displaying under Sam (even when we get torched).
It’s a cult over there, none will leave.

It’s a cult over there, none will leave.
And maybe none do, but it still applies to players from 16 other clubs that may (otherwise) consider scum as a destination. If players are looking at new destinations, I hope they see us & scum in very different lights.

Would you give up pick 6/7 for Elijah Hollands and draft his brother with our second round pick?
I
Yep, already has a massive contract in front of him from the cats
Effing Geelong, no team has ever been gifted so many father/sons and homesick Geelong boys, makes me want to spew up

We seem to really like speed now, with interest in both Amon and Johannisen.

Will make for some electric footy if they're both out there with Day, CJ, Butler and Seamus breaking the lines.

Will make for some electric footy if they're both out there with Day, CJ, Butler and Seamus breaking the lines.

Really don’t get the JJ interest. If he was signed though you’d imagine that’s curtains for Phillips.

Last edited:
Really don’t get the JJ interest. If he was signed through you’d imagine that’s curtains for Phillips.
He's a FA, and from reading between the lines, plays the kind of footy Sam and the footy department want. Attacking.

Do we have an interest in Jason Johannisen? If so, that's quite surprising. He was my favourite player in 2016, but now he'd be lucky to get a game at most clubs. If Mitchell thinks there is still something left in the petroleum tank, then I'm all for it. I'm just not sure how he'd fit in, and he turns 30 years old in November, which doesn't match with the age demographic we're targeting.

He's a FA, and from reading between the lines, plays the kind of footy Sam and the footy department want. Attacking.
Makes sense if he's a FA but not as a trade. Grabbing a couple of FAs whilst holding our draft hand is a smart move. JJ gives us 2 or 3 years that is worth it. He has missed a fair bit of footy from memory so his body might not be as banged up as others the same age. We would be basically bringing him in at the expense of a rookie pick as a list spot. I'm ok with that given where our list is at.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Makes sense if he's a FA but not as a trade. Grabbing a couple of FAs whilst holding our draft hand is a smart move. JJ gives us 2 or 3 years that is worth it. He has missed a fair bit of footy from memory so his body might not be as banged up as others the same age. We would be basically bringing him in at the expense of a rookie pick as a list spot. I'm ok with that given where our list is at.
We’re essentially playing Tom as a flanker at the moment, averaging around 12 CBA and he seems quite likely to be elsewhere, so if you gradually increase the CBA’s of Ward, MacDonald and Pick 5 to cover Tom’s loss, you’d also still want some good experience playing the wing/flank role so that we’re not too young.

So JJ make sense if he’s a free hit in this regard.

Looking at how Sam has us playing and who he tasks Finn with stopping, he looks to see the current footy meta as being a battle of gaining territory quickly. We play direct and quick and if possible through the corridor, and Finn is sent to the opposition player who generally has the highest metres gained average.

Amon and JJ definitely fit that style. Also has the added benefit of taking them away from teams just above us on the ladder.

Looking at how Sam has us playing and who he tasks Finn with stopping, he looks to see the current footy meta as being a battle of gaining territory quickly. We play direct and quick and if possible through the corridor, and Finn is sent to the opposition player who generally has the highest metres gained average.

Amon and JJ definitely fit that style. Also has the added benefit of taking them away from teams just above us on the ladder.
Yeah, also the plain rule of thumb is “does he improve our list?”.

I think he probably does, even at 29. It makes sense to have a nibble.

Yeah, also the plain rule of thumb is “does he improve our list?”.

I think he probably does, even at 29. It makes sense to have a nibble.
Some of the mantra is "does he improve our list", but the other aspect which Sam spoke about at the Huddle event was to recruit the premiership teammates of Lewis, CJ, Moore, etc.

JJ doesn't fit that bill. But i'd still grab him

Some of the mantra is "does he improve our list", but the other aspect which Sam spoke about at the Huddle event was to recruit the premiership teammates of Lewis, CJ, Moore, etc.

JJ doesn't fit that bill. But i'd still grab him
I assume that theres some added context to that which is that we’d be parting with picks or drafting for those players, whereas it’s a slightly different rule for FA’s who are only cap space.

Phillips has been battling an ankle all year and is 26. I certainly hope we stick with him if it equated to a 30 year old JJ (who’s been average) taking his spot.
I don't see them as competing for the same spot. Philips is a run-all-day wingman, whilst JJ is* a burst player. Very different games & I think we need the latter.

*at least, he WAS a burst player... the question: could we get JJ on the park for the next couple of, because the bullflogs don't seem to have been able to.

I’d rather we had a crack at Jayden Hunt from Melbourne
UFA also

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back