Unofficial Preview Hawks 2022 trade targets - news and snippets

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Same rules in this thread as other years.

This thread is for news of players we are linked to, or snippets from our connected posters to drop regarding our targets.

It’s not for :
  • reviewing or posting about current HFC listed players
  • posting about who you like or who you think we should target
  • how trades might get done
The thread you are looking for to do that is here

What I love about this - Amon reportedly had offers on the table from the reigning premiers and the club he grew up supporting. We still won his services. Even if it was because were were the most lucrative deal - we are still back in the frame for player recruitment. Hats off to McCartney, McKenzie, Mitchell and Collins for helping to put this club back on the path to relevancy.

Bit irrelevant now but had some info on this a while back. Amon did prefer to go to a “big 4 “ club however there were a few things that fell in our favour- he had been burnt before by both Melbourne and St Kilda previously so not they weren’t looking good. Carlton were red hot and he showed interest there but they didn’t have enough coin in the salary cap. He didn’t think Amon would choose us but I did say we seemed to be the perfect fit

Over the moon he has chosen us and if Topiary’s mail comes through there could be another free agent on the cards - I’m guessing JJ??

Just need to nail Bruhn and another ruckman and we are good for next year

Just been reading the Port board (again - did it earlier in the year) about Amon and it's pretty reassuring. Majority are very positive about his consistency, attitude, one of their best players in recent years.

It's been an amicable parting with team mates posting tributes on social media to him (some posters feel the club's been a bit too amicable but mostly they don't begrudge him anything as he's been really good for them).

Very happy about this get!

Just been reading the Port board (again - did it earlier in the year) about Amon and it's pretty reassuring. Majority are very positive about his consistency, attitude, one of their best players in recent years.

It's been an amicable parting with team mates posting tributes on social media to him (some posters feel the club's been a bit too amicable but mostly they don't begrudge him anything as he's been really good for them).

Still expecting them all to boo him incessantly for the rest of his career.

Not too sure how many people know about Amon's story but was he was diagnosed with Perthes disease and had to undergo several operations including five on his hip. Between the ages of 5 and 8, he was regularly in hospital and spent a year in a wheelchair followed by a year on crutches. If that doesn't test your attitude that I don't know what would. The fact that this guy is playing at the top level is a testament to himself.

Good pickup by you guys, a solid professional wingman who turns up each week with consistent quality performances , rarely injured as well which is odd when you consider his health issues as a kid. Reckon he's the type that could play well into his 30s as he has a good motor.
Cheers mate, appreciate the comment x

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As much as I would have preferred Amon to stay at Port, I have a feeling this is a win for Hawthorn, Port and Amon.

Amon was taken at puck 68 in 2013, played 127 games for Port prior to leaving on free agency. The reported contract should net Port an end-of-first round pick (a fair return, given the pick used), Hawthorn get a quality player and Amon is a happy player.

But Amon does join the list of my favourite Port players who somehow end up at Hawthorn….

He referred to him as a "another B-grader who can't kick" a few weeks back I believe.
Port posters were all rubbishing Corne's take on Amon.

EDIT: and most amusingly getting stuck into his own kicking ability, lol

Last edited:
I've been pondering this aloud for a while now - this is how you win free agency. If we have finally figured this out after almost a decade I will be thrilled.
It does put our whole philosophy from 2016-2020 into a new light (for me): we were obviously on using 'rebuild by acquisition' model (not Draft) - yet we weren't seriously entertaining Free Agent acquisitions due to our reluctance to pay for them.

I wonder how differently that period could've been for us (& Clarko) had we been willing to buy players at market value, not assuming they'd commit for less.

Not sure where this conversation belongs, but hopeful it'll be re-located & not deleted (if anyone wants to continue it, of course).

Last edited:
This wouldn't preclude Amon's manager throwing a 'hail Mary' at the club that might make him stay.

If Port wanted to keep Amon they would have come up with the coin and not required a hail Mary from his manager. They seem pretty happy taking another early draft pick

If Port wanted to keep Amon they would have come up with the coin and not required a hail Mary from his manager. They seem pretty happy taking another early draft pick
You yourself said he's an unrestricted free agent, which is the post I was responding to. Whiich itself was to a post about whether Port would have known exactly what Hawthorn offered.

We have no idea if this is about coin. I only threw in the idea of a "hail Mary" from Amon's manager, as it would have been the only way of Port having a figure in mind. This may not even have happened, and we would have no idea if any figure would have been higher, same or lower than Hawthorn's offer.

My post was only about how Port may have an idea of Hawthorn's offer, nothing more. I'm not sure what aspect of my post you are responding to here

Last edited:
You yourself said he's an unrestricted free agent, which is the post I was responding to. Whiich itself was to a post about whether Port would have known exactly what Hawthorn offered.

We have no idea if this is about coin. I only threw in the idea of a "hail Mary" from Amon's manager, as it would have been the only way of Port having a figure in mind. This may not even have happened, and we would have no idea if any figure would have been higher, same or lower than Hawthorn's offer.

My post was only about how Port may have an idea of Hawthorn's offer, nothing more. I'm not sure what aspect of my post you are responding to here
Nevermind, I think we are talking at cross purposes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back