Fixture Hawks after Tasmania? Sponsorship extended to 2025!

What to do with Tas games?

• MCG

Votes: 167 82.7%
  • Darwin

Votes: 12 5.9%
  • Albury

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • Newcastle

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • Auckland

Votes: 9 4.5%
  • Canberra

Votes: 9 4.5%
  • Marvel

Votes: 10 5.0%
  • Elsewhere

Votes: 10 5.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

If Hobart will be Tas' home ground, how are we giving up home ground advantage playing in Launceston? A ground which is considered our home away from home.
I will use 2029 as an example. Tas will have played 10 Launceston games in the previous two years and us two. The crowd there would be 70% Devils fans.

Compare that to the MCG. We would have played 26 games in the previous two years and Tas four to six. Crowd will be 90% Hawks.

How are we not giving up a home ground advantage by playing a home game against Tasmania, In Tasmania?

It’s happening.

Instead of trying to find another market to replace Tassie, how about we investigate more trips to wa sa qld sa and TAS to serve members there.

Means we get more home games v vic teams and let’s not forget the stadium agreements financially in vic are significantly better than in 2000

I will use 2029 as an example. Tas will have played 10 Launceston games in the previous two years and us two. The crowd there would be 70% Devils fans.

Compare that to the MCG. We would have played 26 games in the previous two years and Tas four to six. Crowd will be 90% Hawks.

How are we not giving up a home ground advantage by playing a home game against Tasmania, In Tasmania?

Perhaps if they need to make a new stadium financial, most games will be Hobart.
They could mix the two cities until the new stadium comes on line

Perhaps if they need to make a new stadium financial, most games will be Hobart.
They could mix the two cities until the new stadium comes on lin will get seven games and
Hobart will get seven games and Launceston four. They will both be upgraded / built before the new team comes in.

It’s happening.

Instead of trying to find another market to replace Tassie, how about we investigate more trips to wa sa qld sa and TAS to serve members there.

Means we get more home games v vic teams and let’s not forget the stadium agreements financially in vic are significantly better than in 2000
Onfield must come first. No way do you ask for more interstate trips. Where we play away games has little bearing on who our home games are against anyway.

I could handle us continuing to play two home games in Tasmania, but certainly not against Tasmania. If the Tas govt need more content, are happy to pay us, and the AFL approves, I would go for one home game in each of Hobart and Launceston, each against non Vic/Tas clubs. Eight @ MCG. One @ Marvel.

Last edited:
It’s happening.

More trips? How about we start with A trip lol

I look forward to seeing yet another year of us playing the QLD teams in Tassie once again.

More trips? How about we start with A trip lol

I look forward to seeing yet another year of us playing the QLD teams in Tassie once again.

Sorry I meant in relation to us playing non Melbourne teams in Tassie has an effect of us not travelling to other states as much. Qld based hawks will know what I mean

Sorry I meant in relation to us playing non Melbourne teams in Tassie has an effect of us not travelling to other states as much. Qld based hawks will know what I mean

I get what you mean (I'm in QLD after all lol) just frustrated with the situation and lack of games. Wasn't having a go at you.

WA, SA don't need more games, hell they even got gifted games during the pandemic and on top of that SA is getting the carnival next year.

Hawthorn haven't consistently played in QLD since 2008, just the 3 times at the Gabba vs 12 in Tas when playing Brisbane in 14 years! Gold Coast is no better, since 2011 we've played them 3 times at Metricon and 6 times in Tas.

Just getting sick and tired of games vs Brisbane and Gold Coast getting palmed off to Tassie and expecting more of the same next year. WA and SA fans still get their fair share however.

I get what you mean (I'm in QLD after all lol) just frustrated with the situation and lack of games. Wasn't having a go at you.

WA, SA don't need more games, hell they even got gifted games during the pandemic and on top of that SA is getting the carnival next year.

Hawthorn haven't consistently played in QLD since 2008, just the 3 times at the Gabba vs 12 in Tas when playing Brisbane in 14 years! Gold Coast is no better, since 2011 we've played them 3 times at Metricon and 6 times in Tas.

Just getting sick and tired of games vs Brisbane and Gold Coast getting palmed off to Tassie and expecting more of the same next year. WA and SA fans still get their fair share however.

The end of Tassie games will show an improvement for you. There will be positives all round and existing ‘markets’ will get more exposure without seeking out a Tassie replacement - if there even is one

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Also being in QLD, it is frustrating, last time we played in QLD was against the saints at Metricon in 2020, which was thrown together at the last minute, where there was a mad scramble to get seats. Last year was a real kick in the guts when the Hawks and Suns played in Darwin. While I’m happy for Darwin to get a game, as they do deserve to have games being played there, they could easily have had us play Brisbane at the Gabba instead of Launceston last year.

It’s happening.

I’d love us to play at least one game in every state/territory each year, when the Tassie deal does expire. Look at expanding our interstate membership base by being proactive by going out to its supporters, rather than expecting its supporters to come to Melbourne by being Melbourne centric like the other “big 4” clubs.

I’d love us to play at least one game in every state/territory each year, when the Tassie deal does expire. Look at expanding our interstate membership base by being proactive by going out to its supporters, rather than expecting its supporters to come to Melbourne by being Melbourne centric like the other “big 4” clubs.
I am all for a fixture, where for the first 18 games you play each time once, then the next season that is reversed. So you play GC in one year then Bris the next. The AFL can manipulate the last four double up games if they want, but each team should play in each market once a year (those state with two teams).

They could mix the two cities until the new stadium comes on line
There is a massive North v South thing down here, so for a "Tasmanian" team to work the games will always need to be split between Hobart and the North of the State, whether that be Launceston and/or the Northwest coast who knows. I doubt too many Northerners would support and travel down to Hobart for home games if all games were scheduled in Hobart.

It's funny because our T20 Team is called the Hobart Hurricanes, but they play at both ends of the state too.

There is a massive North v South thing down here, so for a "Tasmanian" team to work the games will always need to be split between Hobart and the North of the State, whether that be Launceston and/or the Northwest coast who knows. I doubt too many Northerners would support and travel down to Hobart for home games if all games were scheduled in Hobart.

It's funny because our T20 Team is called the Hobart Hurricanes, but they play at both ends of the state too.

Good luck getting a viable super stadium with 6 afl games

Is there anything out in Eastern Victoria that could replace Tas? I haven't been out that way for years, like decades.

No games not even v gws and Goldie in Melbourne warrant a boutique stadium now the afl owns marvel

Anyway I always thought it was incongruous the hawks have big followings in all other states but deliberately exclude west of Melbourne in marketing

No games not even v gws and Goldie in Melbourne warrant a boutique stadium now the afl owns marvel

Anyway I always thought it was incongruous the hawks have big followings in all other states but deliberately exclude west of Melbourne in marketing
It seems you are not allowed to do that. Geelong and Footscray have exclusive rights over there. I think the Hawks, if they wanted to, could push for that type of thing in the East. Be the team of Eastern Victoria so to speak.

Back