Hawks and Cats shunted because of the Big Four?

Remove this Banner Ad

May 8, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Interesting article in today's paper on the possible finals fixturing.

VICTORIA'S dream finals draw could end in a less than perfect one for either Hawthorn or Geelong with a qualifying final at Etihad Stadium.

The traditional Big Four of Victorian footy - Collingwood, Richmond, Essendon and Carlton - could play together in the finals for the first time in 40 years.

In a mouthwatering prospect for fans and AFL beancounters, the quartet could go head to head in two epic MCG elimination finals.

But that could force either the Hawks or Cats into a qualifying final at Etihad Stadium. It would be the first time one of the top two teams would be shunted to the Docklands.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...qualifying-final/story-fni5f22o-1226699570164

Poor Pussies and Hawks. What it fails to mention in that erudite Victorian way, is that Sydney and Freo will have to travel, even though they finished above all those clubs that it mentions.
Tough t***ies to Geelong & Hawthorn.

No, Fremanlte and Sydney get the second chance. Unlike the 'big 4' who are playing off in the elimination final.

Bottom 2 of the top 4 have always had to travel, don't see the problem in getting two of the big 4 to play at Etihad, might not let a few thousand in but Hawthorn and Geelong deserve better.

Poor Pussies and Hawks. What it fails to mention in that erudite Victorian way, is that Sydney and Freo will have to travel, even though they finished above all those clubs that it mentions.

Stupidest thing I've read on bigfooty and this joint is akin to LaRundel

If Geelong and Hawthorn finish one and two and Carlton beat Port then I'm guessing the 'non-Collingwood' elim final will be at etihad

Yeah I'm glad we changed the final series this year to screw over those pesky interstate teams.

I'm trying to work out how your post could be any less insightful and I have nothing. It's irrelevant, silly and not even amusing - you've won the trifecta.

I have also quoted you to say this post is rubbish.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I mentioned it in another thread but the fact that this is even a conversation just goes to show how compromised our league is. Would be a joke if the Cats and Hawks finished 1 & 2 and didn't get an MCG final and I would hope that, in that event, the shunted club would kick up a massive stink.

If things were fair we would get to play at KP for all our finals given we earned a "home" advantage by possibly finishing top 2. Alas this never happens so getting reamed by the AFL is par for the course when it comes to how they treat Geelong. Should be no surprise to anyone that this AFL administration doesn't give a dam about the game itself and what is good for the clubs competing, but rather their bottom line.

And this will sound petty but i dont care. The idea of a "big 4" needs to be abolished from our vocabulary. Geelong and Hawthorn have been massive over the last 10 years and brought this game some of the best on field moments we have ever seen. All the apparent "big 4" have done is nothing but bring the game into disrepute.

There's no guarantee Carlton will make the finals at this stage so how about you keep it in your pants. If Geelong has to play a final at Etihad Stadium then so be it. If we have to play one at Patersons stadium then so be it. You have to be good enough to win no matter where you play.

I would be ropeable if Hawthorn finished top 2 and were forced to play at Etihad Stadium for the first round of the finals. I don't give a s**t who finished below, top 2 teams deserve a home final.

The AFL has always said it is a home state final, not a home ground final. Hence the Swans always getting shafted out to ANZ.

If they decide the Hawks have to play at Etihad then so be it. But the more likely scenario is that it'll be Cats v Freo at the dome, if those two finish 2nd and 3rd.

I doubt Carlton will beat Port so I don't think it will happen but.......

No QF has ever been played at Etihad before and I can't see it happening now. Hawks home ground in MCG and if they finish 1 or 2 that's where they will be playing. The higher you finish the better priority you get. Geelong should be playing at KP I think if they are playing an interstate team but you can't lock 50k people out if they play another Vic team. You just can't do that.

If the situation arises the AFL should do the right thing and either have 4 MCG games (i.e 2 on Saturday) or have 6 vs 7 there. Although the AFL and "right thing" don't often go hand in hand

after saying all that, the Hawks go ok at Etihad

Why are Cats/Hawks fans so against playing at eithad? Geelong/Hawthorn vs Fremantle/Sydney would/will only attract 40-60k.

Its not like 50k people are going to miss out so whats the issue?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back