Hawks lodge bid for AFLW team in 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Things might change, but right now I couldn't give a stuff about a women's league, and I'd rather we concentrated on putting all energy and resources into winning a 4th consecutive flag and solidifying the plans for Dingley.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-12-20/crowded-field-in-push-for-womens-licenses

I would have expected the Hawks to be pushing for a licence in the inaugural league - we have the financial resources and are normally very future focussed.

Should we be embracing this initiative? and are their any reasons why the club management might be holding back?

They won't want to see the Hawks dominating the Women's League!

Just imagine Hodgey's missus belting opposition players ...

I suspect the club will show more interest once the move to Dingley is ready to occur. At present we do not have the room to facilitate a female team and if we were to express interest both sides would suffer with the current set-up.

Things might change, but right now I couldn't give a stuff about a women's league, and I'd rather we concentrated on putting all energy and resources into winning a 4th consecutive flag and solidifying the plans for Dingley.

You say that like the two are mutually exclusive.

I'm pro- hawks women's team, I want to see a women's comp that is plastered with "PREMIERS: HAWTHORN", rather than let the Carlolton, Cololingwood or * teams get a head start again.

So, the AFL are creating a buyers market by only releasing 8 licenses? Cynical at best, vaguely realistic at worst.

Nah, let the others squabble over the initial phase. Let's come in when it's a little better established.

You say that like the two are mutually exclusive.

I'm pro- hawks women's team, I want to see a women's comp that is plastered with "PREMIERS: HAWTHORN", rather than let the Carlolton, Cololingwood or * teams get a head start again.

No doubt you would buy the Girls fundraiser calendar

No doubt you would buy the Girls fundraiser calendar

Why perpetuate the objectification of women that their only value is their physical appearance?
That being said, you are 100% correct that I would.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good call. We're already the only team of men in a field of old ladies with handbags. Time to set up a men's league.

Bearing in mind the parlous financial state of the majority of AFL clubs one can only assume that the proposed women's competition will be largely funded by the AFL like GWS et al.
I am not opposed to a women's league in fact quite the contrary. However I am puzzled as to how loss making clubs like Melbourne Footscray etc can afford to devote time to fielding a team rather than fixing their core businesses. The reality is the well run clubs will be better placed to make the women's competition a success.

Bearing in mind the parlous financial state of the majority of AFL clubs one can only assume that the proposed women's competition will be largely funded by the AFL like GWS et al.
I am not opposed to a women's league in fact quite the contrary. However I am puzzled as to how loss making clubs like Melbourne Footscray etc can afford to devote time to fielding a team rather than fixing their core businesses. The reality is the well run clubs will be better placed to make the women's competition a success.

The cynic in me suggests that the women's league will be set up to fail as a means of shifting debt.

Yes Abasi, well said. IN fact, it is going to be extremely hard to achieve our 4-in-a-row. So much so, that we don't need the distraction of putting a ladies team together.

Instead, it could be a good idea to just start a waiting list for lady players, and their daughters, as the Hawthorn Football Club is interested in joining the league when we finish the business st hand.

As previously posted, we already have people working on setting up a bid. Like geelong who have consultants looking into it, we aren't rushing and yelling out to the media for publicity.

Great to hear - hardly a resource-intensive exercise having some consultants examine a potential bid. Even if we don't have a team until Dingley is set up it's important to make sure plans are in place for when we're ready to go.

Great to hear - hardly a resource-intensive exercise having some consultants examine a potential bid. Even if we don't have a team until Dingley is set up it's important to make sure plans are in place for when we're ready to go.
By that stage Shaun Burgoyne's daughter will be ready to captain the team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back