Hawks lodge bid for AFLW team in 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Club Buggery was Roy and HGs best endeavour and I won't hear any different.

People down this way likely weren't familiar with their commentary of the Rugby League State of Origin which was pretty funny also - only because of the stupid nicknames they'd give all the players.

People down this way likely weren't familiar with their commentary of the Rugby League State of Origin which was pretty funny also - only because of the stupid nicknames they'd give all the players.
I'm not sure they are funny enough to get me to watch rugby.

I'm surprised Hawthorn didn't go for a team in the AFLW considering what a strong female supporter base the club has.
I really wish we had a team in the women's league, but judging by most of the comments from Hawthorn supporters thank god we didn't.

I'm absolutely loving the women's league and if i had to choose i would have no trouble in giving up my hawthorn men's membership to support Carlton or Collingwood or Adelaide's women's team(I haven't quite decided on a team yet).
I really don't understand why you would want to see this fail and i really can't understand how you have nothing better to do with your life than look up the tv ratings and crowd attendances on a league your "not interested in".

I'm surprised Hawthorn didn't go for a team in the AFLW considering what a strong female supporter base the club has.
I really wish we had a team in the women's league, but judging by most of the comments from Hawthorn supporters thank god we didn't.

I'm absolutely loving the women's league and if i had to choose i would have no trouble in giving up my hawthorn men's membership to support Carlton or Collingwood or Adelaide's women's team(I haven't quite decided on a team yet).
I really don't understand why you would want to see this fail and i really can't understand how you have nothing better to do with your life than look up the tv ratings and crowd attendances on a league your "not interested in".
Considering who got teams and who didn't that applied I don't think Hawks were in the running for a license.
I think they knew this and pulled out before they could be rejected.

If you are Melbourne based you can watch Box Hill in the VWFL season starts in May

Considering who got teams and who didn't that applied I don't think Hawks were in the running for a license.
I think they knew this and pulled out before they could be rejected.

If you are Melbourne based you can watch Box Hill in the VWFL season starts in May
Do you have any idea of where they are playing? I'd love to get to a few games

I'd really like it if they took the AFLW off my TV.

I don't pay for Fox Footy to see replays of games that are barely worth watching the first time.

The standard is below what should be considered a good look for the code, and I don't care for all the excuses as to why that is the case.

I stood in the Qantas arrivals lounge last night waiting for my bags, with a tour of americans next to me looking up at the TV's asking what sport it was they were watching. "Women's rugby" they asked.....they weren't far wrong.

The first few years of This Sporting Life was inspired stuff.

Their call of the Balmain - Canberra grand final in 1989 was truly legendary.

The first few years of This Sporting Life was inspired stuff.

Their call of the Balmain - Canberra grand final in 1989 was truly legendary.

Would love to hear the latter. Still the greatest League grand final of all time and the reason why I'm a Hawks fan.

Would love to hear the latter. Still the greatest League grand final of all time and the reason why I'm a Hawks fan.
It was hilarious. Backdoor Benny Elias got a real working over that day.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't pay for Fox Footy to see replays of games that are barely worth watching the first time.

The standard is below what should be considered a good look for the code, and I don't care for all the excuses as to why that is the case.

I stood in the Qantas arrivals lounge last night waiting for my bags, with a tour of americans next to me looking up at the TV's asking what sport it was they were watching. "Women's rugby" they asked.....they weren't far wrong.
How many years ago do you think it was that people were saying the same thing about indigenous players?

How many years ago do you think it was that people were saying the same thing about indigenous players?
Just stop.

Aboriginal players never had a specific league designated to them, played at primetime, televised on a Channel that people have previously had to pay for and subscribe to to watch the content they actually want to see.

That you're trying so hard to make this some sort of political or sexual statement says more about you than anyone who has the gall to say that the standard of football isn't great.

Tota
Just stop.

Aboriginal players never had a specific league designated to them, played at primetime, televised on a Channel that people have previously had to pay for and subscribe to to watch the content they actually want to see.

That you're trying so hard to make this some sort of political or sexual statement says more about you than anyone who has the gall to say that the standard of football isn't great.
Totally agree, today's match blues v crows had 4 goals scored between them for the entire match, im sorry but thats really poor and the issue is the standard is still getting glossed over by all who watch it with excitement in their eyes only. The way the hawks are going about it is the right way, get these girls developing their skills and knowledge at a lower level before getting exposure at the top. Its the only way you will see decent standard of competition.

Just stop.

Just stop?

If you don't like it, don't watch it. If you don't want to see it from the Qantas lounge on pay TV, get out of the lounge and cancel your subscription.

Rather than your negativity, look at how important AFL has become as a bridge between indigenous and non-indigenous Australia. Keep in mind the treatment of Aboriginals when AFL was founded, and now look at the HUGELY positive impact having indigenous players and culture brings. AFLW needs exposure and support not blind, short-sighted misogyny.

Erin Riley's lawyers will be in touch with you tomorrow.

RIP Abasi.

Just stop?

If you don't like it, don't watch it. If you don't want to see it from the Qantas lounge on pay TV, get out of the lounge and cancel your subscription.

Rather than your negativity, look at how important AFL has become as a bridge between indigenous and non-indigenous Australia. Keep in mind the treatment of Aboriginals when AFL was founded, and now look at the HUGELY positive impact having indigenous players and culture brings. AFLW needs exposure and support not blind, short-sighted misogyny.
I'm only going to say this once.

Implying that an opinion about the standard of the game is linked to misogyny(or comparative to racism) isn't going to end well for you, so quit it.

You seem to have made the assumption that all women who watch AFL are interested in watching AFLW.

Whilst I have no doubt they fully support the idea, most of the women I know who are big AFL supporters are not that interested AFLW.

You seem to have made the assumption that all women who watch AFL are interested in watching AFLW.

Whilst I have no doubt they fully support the idea, most of the women I know who are big AFL supporters are not that interested AFLW.
Yes. Like a lot of us we go to watch a sport (incl on TV) if it is a spectacle. Most do not go and watch just to support a sport and help it to grow. It may sound selfish to some but it is necessary depending on circumstances.

I don't assume that all women who watch the AFL would be interested in the AFLW(although i don't understand why they wouldn't be) but i don't think that it is an unfair assumption to assume that many if not most women would be interested in it.

It's been amazing how many women are going to these AFLW games, i don't see a lot of women at AFL games anymore and i have to say in my personal group of friends i'm the only one with an interest in the AFL. The women i know who previously had zero interest in the AFL are now really interested in the AFLW and want to themselves starting playing footy.
I think it was a massive lost opportunity for Hawthorn, it's not about getting the same supporters from the AFL over, it's about getting the new supporters.

Agree entirely, mate. The quality of the footballing itself is not TV worthy, to be frank. I don't mind heading on down and watching a mate play occasionally in some local league in who-knows-what division, but I don't expect it to show up on the networks either. Good luck to those who are playing in the AFLW and in the lower leagues, but please keep it off the telly - those interested can go to the game and cheer them on in their own time. It's the AFL wanting to fill the papers and media with footy related stuff as close to all year round as they can.

Oh ffs. Just because it is on TV doesn't mean you have to watch it.
Majority of the reality TV on every bloody channel is complete shite and makes me worry about society as a whole.
But you know what, I just don't watch it.
That option is there for you all complainers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back