Autopsy Hawks beat Geelong by 11 points

Remove this Banner Ad

I think that is the whole point! Brownless is right, but Cook didn't like him saying it.

Touched a raw nerve i reckon. They knew he was right.

At times yes. But there's footage of how hard our guys ran from contest to contest compared to Hawthorn's guys. It wasn't flattering.

Billy did the right thing saying it. He may get a cool reception, and may have touched a nerve, but he brought it out into the limelight. He may take a hit to actually make the team have a good look at themselves. The only way they disprove him is by showing us/Billy on the field. They may not be happy with him, but at the same time, they should be thanking him.

Billy did the right thing saying it. He may get a cool reception, and may have touched a nerve, but he brought it out into the limelight. He may take a hit to actually make the team have a good look at themselves. The only way they disprove him is by showing us/Billy on the field. They may not be happy with him, but at the same time, they should be thanking him.
I was listening to the broadcast when he snarled "Because they're lazy" in answer to somebody's query as to how come the midfielders weren't getting back before the Hawthorn attackers got there.
That was the sum total of what he said.
It was a throwaway line in the heat of the moment when he was getting snakey because we were being beaten; no explanation, no substantiation, no nothing.
It was nothing more than the sort of dingbat nonsense you get from disappointed Geelong ranters on the gameday threads.
The later Triple M beatup was a beatup for their own PR purposes on a slow no-news day.

Calling the midfield "lazy" sounds to me like the many simplistic ravings per game that come through fan frustration. A bit like "you're hopeless (insert name)" or "just kick the bloody thing".

Nope, they've been lazy both physically and mentally.

Brownless called a spade a spade, and it's troubling that those in the inner sanctum have tried to hide from criticism that is clearly justified. If they can't admit to it then there is an air of delusion within the club.

Instead of being pilloried Billy deserves credit for calling it how it is.

Brownless called a spade a spade, and it's troubling that those in the inner sanctum have tried to hide from criticism that is clearly justified. If they can't admit to it then there is an air of delusion within the club.

Billy is a passionate supporter, just like the rest of us. Maybe they are lazy as you say, but I'm not buying it just because Billy says so.

I hope we scrape in to the finals and meet the hawks, as we will steamroll them

I have to politely disagree.

The Hawks are light years ahead of us with their ball skills, play with far more passion for the jumper, and have a far better game plan.

Would dearly love for you to be right, and I wrong, but they played with us last game.

The Hawks are light years ahead of us with their ball skills, play with far more passion for the jumper, and have a far better game plan.

Would dearly love for you to be right, and I wrong, but they played with us last game.
Played with us last game.. give us a spell. I won’t change your opinion by anything I say, just hope we play them again so it plays out as I suspect

Exactly... This club with Scott at the helm has massive case of 'my s**t doesn't stink' syndrome. Watch any reporter try to critique our performance - his first reaction is to get defensive and be a smart ass. Billy was correct with what he said - the video footage shows that. The club can sulk and moan but facts are facts and if we have reverted to a club that cannot call out reality then we really are going further backwards. The whole purpose of the review that lead to our premiership was to face up to the facts. What else explains the fact our team makes the same mistakes week in and out and we refuse to adjust our plans - we also continue to make obvious team selection errors. Club has got ego headed - they need to check the ladder and see where we are - stop acting like we are premiership favourites and cruising. We are a team of individuals at the moment and at the end of the game as long as Danger is happy with his performance he walks off with his head up.

Exactly... This club with Scott at the helm has massive case of 'my s**t doesn't stink' syndrome. Watch any reporter try to critique our performance - his first reaction is to get defensive and be a smart ass. Billy was correct with what he said - the video footage shows that. The club can sulk and moan but facts are facts and if we have reverted to a club that cannot call out reality then we really are going further backwards. The whole purpose of the review that lead to our premiership was to face up to the facts. What else explains the fact our team makes the same mistakes week in and out and we refuse to adjust our plans - we also continue to make obvious team selection errors. Club has got ego headed - they need to check the ladder and see where we are - stop acting like we are premiership favourites and cruising. We are a team of individuals at the moment and at the end of the game as long as Danger is happy with his performance he walks off with his head up.

The club has the feel of the early 2000's about it........unquestionable talent, but ego and the unknown getting in the way until the players faced up to it and gave us 2007.

Have to say from my POV this is not the case. Only a last minute O'Meara goal iced it, and we missed had than one chance but failed to convert. One wonders the result if Mitchell had been penalised as he should have been with a 50 metre penalty and Blitz had converted. It was anybodies game at that point.

No way did Hawthorn "play with us"...and they would certainly not feel that they are certainties should we meet again.

Have to say from my POV this is not the case. Only a last minute O'Meara goal iced it, and we missed more than one chance but failed to convert.

No way did Hawthorn "play with us"...and they would certainly not feel that they are certainties should we meet again.

They had no problem beating us twice this year, and aside from some last minute bravado we never threatened them in the last game.

And I think most neutral observers would admit their ball skill and strategy is far better than ours.

They had no problem beating us twice this year, and aside from some last minute bravado we never threatened them in the last game.

And I think most neutral observers would admit their ball skill and strategy is far better than ours.
We played about 2 quarters of good football against them in two games. They won by a combined 12 points.
They're barely even ahead of us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No problem beating us? In Round 2 they beat us by one point! ...hanging on for dear life. There is nothing between these two sides...

2 losses to them this year and they are in the top 4 while Geelong sits outside the 8. Doesn't seem like nothing.

So you would put your house on it should we meet again....I very much doubt it. But carry on by all means.

So you would put your house on it should we meet again....I very much doubt it. But carry on by all means.
I would tip them were another encounter to occur this season (especially given it would have to be a final, which Geelong performs poorly in). They're better drilled and really they dominated the last game.

I would tip them were another encounter to occur this season (especially given it would have to be a final, which Geelong performs poorly in). They're better drilled and really they dominated the last game.
Yes, dominated an 11 point win with a goal in the last minute.
Baffles me you believe this.

Yes, dominated an 11 point win with a goal in the last minute.
Baffles me you believe this.
Geelong's gameplan gets repeatedly torched. The trend is to rely on a few select players with elite stamina to pull the margin back in the last quarter and scrape home a win when the opposition is tired. That's not really an effective approach, however, as has been clear the last two games where sides with vastly superior systems won out.

Geelong's gameplan gets repeatedly torched. The trend is to rely on a few select players with elite stamina to pull the margin back in the last quarter and scrape home a win when the opposition is tired. That's not really an effective approach, however, as has been clear the last two games where sides with vastly superior systems won out.
None of that proves your dubious claim. Try again.

Utter bollocks.. hawthorn kicked 1 goal in an entire 2 quarters of footy, yes a domination. Out of the 2 teams, we are the only one capable of handing the other a shalaking, I do hope we meet in September

We played about 2 quarters of good football against them in two games. They won by a combined 12 points.
They're barely even ahead of us.

Fair point, and I understand that pov, but I think it can be argued that their development progresses faster than ours.

They seem to settle new players far more quickly, and they play with more passion, skill and smarts than we do.

But then, in spite of that, and taking on board your comments, the close results are a credit to the GFC.

No problem beating us? In Round 2 they beat us by one point! ...hanging on for dear life. There is nothing between these two sides...

Round 2 was a great game yes, and indicative of the rivalry between the sides, but overall the Hawks just look more composed, skilful and passionate to me. As I posted to Doc G just now, it's a credit to the boys that they ran both results so close in spite of that. But still, in the last game we were behind virtually all day and the Hawks looked to have our measure.

Their skill and quality of ball movement is clearly better than ours for mine. We're like a Ferrari mis-firing on four cylinders.

*oh, the next election is next year at the end of the season. I think many would rather whinge than do something, some are not even members (nor am I for that matter).
*Well I'm not really a swooner, but Monica Belluci is on my list of err...talented women I'd like to meet.
*I liked the book and the song, she hotted up the original putting it on the 1985 (The Whole Story) album. Both versions are great but the 85 is better. My sister loved the book as a kid and named our cat Heathcliff, until we discovered it was a girl. The female cat was stuck with Heathcliff forever. meooow
*Fuzzy and firm depending on the time, place and state of mind.
*Peculiar that we were 7 points down and if Tomahawk had kicked that goal 25 metres out, almost dead in front, with momentum and 3 minutes left we probably would have won. Yet we played poorly. The week before if Ablett had steadied and slotted it, we would have beaten Richmond. A few weeks back Harry missed a gettable goal after the siren to lose the game to the Bulldogs. That is three games that we did not "deserve" to win, played poorly yet could easily have won all three and be sitting third on the ladder locked into a top 4 spot, and be looking seriously as flag contenders. Footy is a strange world.

Love Morticia, that is Morticia isn't it?

Bolded - I did not know.

Heathcliffe - female cat lol
A friend had two cats called Oscar + Lucinda, except that Oscar was a girl too lol People don't check? ???

Yes, it is Morticia. They don't make women like Kathy, Kate or Morticia anymore.

Goal kicking accuracy is my bête noire! But, quite frankly, if Geelong had played better during those games, not allowing themselves to be in the position of playing catch-up footy, ie switched on, not just getting into gear for patches, which is possible, we could have won those games. But they didn't so we're ninth.

I reckon today is a danger game - the type of game we normally lose - but I will be so annoyed if Freo win! This is the type of game where, if we came out firing, we could flog Freo + improve our %.

Yes, footy is a very strange world!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back