Autopsy Hawks defeat the Holy Floppity - Rd 21, 2018

Just reading through the Cats game day thread. What a thing of beauty.

When you look at a flower garden, no matter how beautiful a particular flower, if the garden is full of just that one variety, it looks dull and tedious, if however the garden is peppered with many varieties of flower, it enhances the beauty.

Their game day thread has many different species of flower. Some in the same genus, some a different genus altogether.

So there was the Geelongus eatingyourowni typified by "Geeze Guthrie is a spud, if they pick him again, i'll spew."
There was Haveasookus ABoutumpiresi This species usually has "How can that be HtB when he had no prior. He had no prior f**k this s**t I'm done."
There is a smattering of Hawthornis nasti Characterised by "Glad Roughead is out he has replaced Hodge as their new sniper."
There is also a small amount of Geelongus resignationi usually typified by "That's it season done."
There was also a little medicinal plant called Emptyus yourboweli . This wonderful plant is a laxetive that cleans out your entire system. Typically it is characterised by posts like "That's it, we need to get rid of everyone and start again. Sack Scott and the MC to start with..."

Tipping no Cats fans told this absolute unit to sit down during the game.View attachment 541686

If you are this dude and post on here - please come visit the mouthy opposition fans behind M15 at all future home games and scare them into silence.

Feb 9, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I don’t think down hill skiers fully captures what I wanted to say actually. Because they do lift when needed, especially Selwood over the years.
Down hill.gif

3. As mentioned earlier in the thread, we tried to slow the game down too early in the last quarter. I remember seeing Issie with the ball, in the middle of the ground, motioning to slow the game. It was the 20 min mark and I said to my boys "christ, he's gone early. This could bite us on the arse!" Fortunately, it was not to be.
I don't think he was signalling to slow it down for the rest of the quarter. Geelong had all the momentum at the time and were playing frenetic footy. Smith made made the right call to signal to the team to calm the farm. Took some heat out of the game by denying Geelong the fast paced game they needed to play to win.

Haha my sisters fiance.

I'll show him this

Echoing my post from above - please invite him to patrol the standing area behind M15 to scare the * out of the mouth breathing opposition campaigners we tend to get there.

How many times did Schoenmakers get tackled, get his arm free and handball it to someone who either scored or handballed it to someone who scored. Happened in the worpel spin goal to gunston, happened to the final goal to jaeger. was massive in those situations.

Ceglar only had the 9 disposals but all of them were contested, 5 marks (5 contested marks), 3 tackles, 23 hit-outs and 1 goal. He's kicked more goals than McEvoy this year despite playing only half the amount of games.

Rimsy

Debutant
Sep 29, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Tipping no Cats fans told this absolute unit to sit down during the game.View attachment 541686

I sorta know this guy because I'm the guy directly behind him that you have to play wheres wally to spot. We have some vigorous high fives when things go our way. The sort where your hands come away more than a bit sore!

Believe he's a 20 year member, I've been in that spot for the last 9 and he's always there.

Strattonsphere

Senior List
Sep 6, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
3 observations from being at the match today:

1. We are poor at positioning for the drop of the ball in the marking contest. This was all over the field but especially noticeable in our forward line. Too often Geelong snagged the spoil and easily ran it out.

2. We rarely, if ever, go 1-on-1, preferring a zone defence. When the game is tight sometimes you have to man up.

3. As mentioned earlier in the thread, we tried to slow the game down too early in the last quarter. I remember seeing Issie with the ball, in the middle of the ground, motioning to slow the game. It was the 20 min mark and I said to my boys "christ, he's gone early. This could bite us on the arse!" Fortunately, it was not to be.

The first 2 points have been with us all season so it seems it's just the way we play. Both are weaknesses, in my view.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

None of this is news to anyone! Just roll with it bro

flinchfree

Premiership Player
Jan 30, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Happy to get the win. Happy to see the high bomb game not used. Still worrying that the go-to game plan was the tempo footy gameplan. It's not effective. The turnaround in form has come from that style being given the lemon and sars. Keep it like that.

Only problem is that it's impossible to play high tempo move-the-ball-on at every possible moment over more than about 70% of the game. After that, the players are just gassed.
Even if you can sustain it for a game or so, multiple game efforts at that pace end up later producing flattened one pace affairs from your team. There's only so much Jizz a coach can ra ra out of a team week after week.
See St Kilda, see Essendon.
Doggies held it together for large parts of their premiership but were probably a touch lucky to make it all the way through that year, but even the Tiggers hit you in burst break away moments, then settle, then win one quickly from the center, then block it in for a few minutes.......
It's a game of impact, is footy, and you need to be more special when you're having impact than the opponent.

Our 80's team was like that, let average teams hang around and then hit them with 8 goals in the 3rd quarter. Often followed by 7 in the last.:p
Or 8 in the first quarter and then played even for much of the rest of the game.
The 2nd millennia dynasty also cut and diced you but wasn't hell for leather the entire game.

I'll be interested to see how much juice Richmond enters and plays through the finals with.
I'd say they're probably running a little hot this early, and will be indelibly inking a playing style that includes running ahead of the ball in the belief your teammates will win it. But just as 80's Geelong teams found out - accountability is king. Some of the best one way teams scoring wise ever were those catters, but we clocked them when it counted because if you stand up and put yourself into a place where the hard ball is the determining factor, then Hawthorn's men are unmatched.

This finals series is getting damned interesting.

bumsonseats

Premiership Player
Oct 8, 2009
Back in Stinktown (Adelaide)
AFL Club
Hawthorn

When you look at a flower garden, no matter how beautiful a particular flower, if the garden is full of just that one variety, it looks dull and tedious, if however the garden is peppered with many varieties of flower, it enhances the beauty.

Their game day thread has many different species of flower. Some in the same genus, some a different genus altogether.

So there was the Geelongus eatingyourowni typified by "Geeze Guthrie is a spud, if they pick him again, i'll spew."
There was Haveasookus ABoutumpiresi This species usually has "How can that be HtB when he had no prior. He had no prior f**k this s**t I'm done."
There is a smattering of Hawthornis nasti Characterised by "Glad Roughead is out he has replaced Hodge as their new sniper."
There is also a small amount of Geelongus resignationi usually typified by "That's it season done."
There was also a little medicinal plant called Emptyus yourboweli . This wonderful plant is a laxetive that cleans out your entire system. Typically it is characterised by posts like "That's it, we need to get rid of everyone and start again. Sack Scott and the MC to start with..."

I would suggest their garden is full of weeds.
Time to get the weed sprayer out and start again.

flinchfree

Premiership Player
Jan 30, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
3 observations from being at the match today:

1. We are poor at positioning for the drop of the ball in the marking contest. This was all over the field but especially noticeable in our forward line. Too often Geelong snagged the spoil and easily ran it out.

2. We rarely, if ever, go 1-on-1, preferring a zone defence. When the game is tight sometimes you have to man up.

The first 2 points have been with us all season so it seems it's just the way we play. Both are weaknesses, in my view.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Was there anything you liked today?

flinchfree

Premiership Player
Jan 30, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn

That's good stuff!:D

Back