Autopsy Hawks defeated by Cats

Remove this Banner Ad

I get it that we have 4 best 22 players out injured, not counting Mitchell or Birch as LT, but I was really disappointed with yesterday’s result. Main reason being apart from having a ripper hangover in the office today, was the performance of key experienced leaders in Smith, Bruest, Gunston and Wingard. All had limited impact on the game and result. Especially compared to the cats leaders.
Was super impressed with Lewis, I reckon he’ll make it, BB as always, hendo now also as always, worpel will be a gun and sic works his arse off.
A * me are the cats supporters flogs. Standing in m11 and all they wanted was to be confrontational. Didn’t like us ribbing dickwood and dangerflog. Nor that it will be Kelly’s last year. A

If we are in fact rebuilding why have you named 3 30+ year olds to come back in . Stratton being captain obviously will slot straight in but moving forward I'm not sure we need to rush burgoyne and frawley back.
Rebuilding or not we desperately need Burgoyne back in , he isn’t what he was but he adds class wherever he plays. Probably the best guy for our young kids to learn from on field .

If Brand plays well Frawley can play at Box Hill . That would actually be a really positive result long term for the club

Hawkins 2k fine. FMD.

So it goes Sicily “hit” against Dogs was worthy of a free in front of goals....................to an elbow with 10 times the force but no free, but a $2k fine. Seems fair.

This could have been cleared up had the AFL simply come out and said the Sicily/Bulldogs free was wrong. But no they backed their man in and now it’s a farce.

I’m not sure what people expect.
If the umpire doesn’t see it, they can’t pay the free kick. The Sicily push and shove free kick has nothing to do with it. If the ump see’s the Hawkins elbow to the back, I find it hard to believe the free kick doesn’t get paid.

And you seriously couldn’t expect anything more than a fine for the contact. Intentional, Low impact to the body = monetary sanction. Hard pressed to argue more than that

Yet another case of Hawthorn doing more to help them lose the game than Geelong did to win it. I won't say the margin flattered the Cats but we really did contribute to our own demise and not always due to pressure. This can and will be fixed. Remember, Hawthorn doesn't just build a premiership team like Tigers and Bulldogs, it builds a premiership dynasty.

Dynasty , YES I like that word and it is true, we've had several over the decades!!!

He's another developing young guy learning the ropes but you can't drop everyone when there's no one better to come in.. It's hard to be patient for blokes to develop but we have no choice.
I hope he bounces back. Lost me my fantasy match with that unusually poor score!

You could see the desperate need for another A grade midfielder yesterday. Even with Titch we still need one more to even contemplate winning another premiership

Titch, O'Meara, Worpel and then Player X

Shows we need to do everything possible to try and lure Cogs away from GWS. He is the perfect player to compliment our current crop and then use our Top 10 pick (possibly pick 6-8) on best available mid however not sure how strong this draft is looking.

Then we just cross our fingers Mitch Lewis works out

We need a Rabbit!

McEvoy was superb around the ground. His positioning and timing for a contested mark is better than its ever been. And I wouldn't mind him giving some tips to a few other forwards on how to kick straight for goal.

I liked Lewis' game. Individually I thought he added more than Ceglar has added recently and collectively the McEvoy, Rough, Lewis combination worked better as a ruck / key forward dynamic. Lewis looked lost when played last year but seems to have improved out of sight.

Sicily was very good yet again. He does make some blues with his kicking but generally his ability to create drive off half back is streaks ahead of anybody else we have. He would be completely wasted up forward with the kind of forward entries we tend to resort to time and again.

Impressed also with Brand's game. Last year your heart would be in your mouth with some of his positioning and body work but he seemed to play with a lot more confidence against the cats.

Worpel is a terrier. Hendo invaluable at the moment. Please play Gunston forward.

And what a difference between the demeanour of our two coaches. Clarko full of encouragement to the guys from the bench. Scott sooking, hands in the air, mouth agape, staring around his box at some perceived injustice.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/hawkins-fined-for-hit-on-sicily-20190423-p51gj3.html

"Hawkins bumped into the Hawthorn full-back from behind, driving his forearm and elbow into Sicily's back. The hit looked of moderate impact but Sicily went to ground and remained there at length in pain... early guilty plea after concluding the strike was intentional of low impact and to the body"

Low impact my ar$e.

Also, absolutely terrible writing: "bumped into", "driving his forearm", "looked of moderate impact", "remained there at length in pain". Way to make a story convoluted with a hell of a lot of different messages.

No it has been a common theme on this board for well over a year... wasn’t aimed at you

Yesterday when he was the only one generating anything from down back when we were already down Stratton and Frawley? Not sure, wouldn’t have hated the move but I would prefer him left down back yesterday.
With 10 minutes to go and the game getting further out of our reach a move of Sis forward could have had the desired result. BB was off the ground and Nash and Roughy were pinch hitting in the ruck. The small forwards hardly provided anything all day. Lewis was trying but the young man wasn't the answer. With no marking forwards our fate was sealed. O Gunston, Gunston wherefore art thou Gunston?
I doubt he was going to be the match winner but most def would have preferred him forward to at least give us some chance.
Sis forward in those momments? Too right, get him to want to be the match winner and watch him strut

Frawley will be out for about 4

Flip a coin between Cousins and Morrison for one of the outs,

I think you will find Cuz will be in strife. Got injured last week and then put the hand up to play and then played very much like he was still injured.

Clarko hates this sort of stuff.

I’m not sure what people expect.
If the umpire doesn’t see it, they can’t pay the free kick. The Sicily push and shove free kick has nothing to do with it. If the ump see’s the Hawkins elbow to the back, I find it hard to believe the free kick doesn’t get paid.

And you seriously couldn’t expect anything more than a fine for the contact. Intentional, Low impact to the body = monetary sanction. Hard pressed to argue more than that
But the goal umpire would have seen it. There should be an opportunity for the goal umpires to relay that to the field umpires, I believe they all have two way radios. If the boundary umpires and goal umpires being involved woudl help stop behind the play BS.

Gunston played frwd for about 40 minutes yesterday and still couldn’t get near it! Him playing back didn’t help either as we had 100 points kicked against us by 3 qtr time!
Brand stays in even when chip gets back , cats have 4 talls down back and are intercepting everything plus big bodies and tall defenders are still very important in today’s game!
Our frwd structures have been messy for a few years now and it needs a quick fixing.
Gunston Breust Wingard should be the leading frwds scoring around 6 goals between them every week which would make Roughead poppy lewis’ job that much easier.
Our mids have scored half our goals this year (30 of 61) so, we’re getting 6 goals a game from the rucks/mids but need more from the frwds..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But the goal umpire would have seen it. There should be an opportunity for the goal umpires to relay that to the field umpires, I believe they all have two way radios. If the boundary umpires and goal umpires being involved woudl help stop behind the play BS.

One of the slow motion replays I saw at the time clearly shows a boundary umpire coming into view jogging towards the goals looking directly at what happened. Too gutless to pay it.

Ppl under value this team a lot. They love to pick out individuals and go hard. I look around the league and there are far more talented teams out there on paper that arent performing anywhere near what our output is given our list. Our players are warriors on the field. They keep fighting i am so proud to support this club
Great post FPs. That’s why I have (even) enjoyed our losses this year. There is real fight amongst this group. The last quarter fight back is an example. They really want to get better and you can see a great culture in action.

Clarko is loving investing in younger players and building a new team. You can see his enthusiasm

And I always feel like any moment this team is about to majorly click.

I know he cannot, but I would love Sis to do exactly the same to one of the Carlton forwards next week while the ball is up the other end, so we can all ask the AFL why Sis will miss games?

But wheather you like it or not, the goal and boundary umpires don’t have any on-field decision making authority. Purely rests with the on-field umps, and they are not always going to see an off the ball incident.

Boundary umpire was right there too.
Look, if they can’t at least in theory get the vast majority of behind the ball hits penalised, they really should just leave super minor contact like Sicily in Gowers for the MRO to deal with a fine.
Far too much risk of missing some hits and therefore only penalising one team.

But wheather you like it or not, the goal and boundary umpires don’t have any on-field decision making authority. Purely rests with the on-field umps, and they are not always going to see an off the ball incident.
About time they did, hence the word should in my original post.
They have score reviews if they are not sure if a goal is a point, yet they will happily pay a free for a certian goal from 50+ meters away despite not being sure, when there is another official less than 25 meters away. If the goal/boundary umpires could also report there would be no more bullshit like Hawkins on Sis, low impact my arse. The experts have essentually ruined the game so it doesn't really matter what additioanl changes they make, it cant stuff it anymore.

I think you will find Cuz will be in strife. Got injured last week and then put the hand up to play and then played very much like he was still injured.

Clarko hates this sort of stuff.

Does that apply to all players or is there the expectation that if the injury list is long that they will play if possible.

I ask because it was very obvious that Smith was playing hurt

I thought the boundary umpires were miked up or is that soccer. If you look at the vision there’s a boundary umpire to the right who would of seen the hit from Hawkins

Commiserations on the loss.

Here are the midfield frequency stats from the game.

Overall Summary - 32 Bounces

Miss Rate: 1 Player (of 160) couldn't be identified

O'Meara 30
Smith 24 (22w, 2i)
Howe 21
Henderson 20 (19w, 1i)
Worpel 20
Cousins 16 (3w)
Morrison 9 wing
Scully 8 wing
Wingard 6
Puopolo 3 (2i, 1w)
Breust 2 (1w, 1i)

Rucks:

McEvoy 27 (Stanley 27)
Roughead 5 (Ratugolea 5)

1st Half - 18

O'Meara 18
Howe 17
Smith 15 (13w, 2i)
Henderson 11 (10w, 1i)
Cousins 10 (3w)
Worpel 9
Morrison 6 wing
Puopolo 1 wing
Breust 1 wing
Scully 1 wing

1 Player couldn't be identified

McEvoy 16
Roughead 2

2nd Half - 14

O'Meara 12
Worpel 11
Smith 9 wing
Henderson 9 wing
Scully 7 wing
Cousins 6
Wingard 6
Howe 4
Morrison 3 wing
Puopolo 2
Breust 1

McEvoy 11
Roughead 3

Notes:
- Wingard was used exclusively in Q3 (replacing Howe).
- Morrison didn't receive a rotation in the last - Scully played the term as a mid rather than forward

Thanks Billy Bob - certainly puts individuals clearance stats in perspective knowing that eg JOM was at essentially every centre clearence for only 2.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back