News Hawks ditching white clash strip - brown & gold only.

Remove this Banner Ad

Do they need the Gold one at all?
Probably provides the best clash against Brisbane. No doubt we'd be forced to wear it against Melbourne & Essendon (since the Adelaide/Essendon guernsey clash only applies to games in Victoria), and possibly Bulldogs and Saints.

I reckon Hawthorn should get rid of the back stripes. The gold stripe with no back stripes and full gold socks is absolute class, and a brown kit is just as nice.

5238B398-A9C8-4E5C-84F6-F0DF3029CA2C.jpeg

I can imagine how nice this would look with the 3 gold stripes on the front.

Without the back stripes you could get rid of a third kit. To avoid clashes against Adelaide, all that would be needed is white shorts. Against GWS and GC, you could wear the full brown kit.

I think the Suns should lose sky blue from the colour scheme tbh. Red and yellow only. Just my view.

Agree, but add white. Some minor white trim to the red and yellow would make for a much more visually appealing colour scheme IMO, not to mention taking them further away from the Lions colours.

It's a disgrace that we still wear white. I legitimately can't believe there are Crows fans who'd rather see us in white than in one of our actual colours. The gold clash was amazing once we got the colour right (ie, left BLK).

If the Hawks go to gold, we'll be the only team in the AFL who wear a white clash without having white as one of their colours (apart from GC whose inaugural clash was white to begin with anyway). For years the AFC have responded to all white guernsey enquiries with "It's an AFL directive."

Then Essendon proved that wrong. Then Richmond proved it wrong. Then West Coast proved it wrong. Then Brisbane proved it wrong. Then Melbourne proved it wrong. Hell, even Carlton sort of proved it wrong. Now Hawthorn are proving it wrong. Will be interesting to see if the club still hides behind the AFL on this one or decides to man up and say "**** it, we're wearing our colours too."

At worst why can't we just rotate between two clashes? A yellow and a red. There's not a team in the comp that would clash with all 3 of our home, yellow and red.

They can't say yellow doesn't clash enough with some teams, tell that to Hawthorn, Brisbane and West Coast.

They also can't say red doesn't clash enough with some teams, tell that to Essendon and Melbourne previously.
GWS wear orange and with the home Crows jumper being navy, red and gold hoops, if you had a red clash and a gold third you'd need a fourth jumper when playing GWS away

Will the Lions have a proper gold jumper now, or will those pointless "percentage white" panels stay?
I reckon we had the white on purpose with the intention of having the proper 80's bears design (with the Lion instead of the BB monogram) two years later just to sell more jumpers. Just like how the Eagles had the tablecloth for another year before the peril clash

On the brown away, the gold stripes on the back was what kept the clash to a minimum.
If those stripes weren't there, it'll just be another dark guernsey.
The brown strip IS a dark guernsey. Removing the gold stripes helps reinforce this.

Similarly the gold (home) strip is a light strip. Removing the brown stripes on back helps this. Because they don't have white, it works with the brown shorts.

So all hawks need is 2 strips - 1 gold (home/away), 1 brown (clash). The Gold will work in almost all matches, with white shorts when away v most sides. Yellow works v both dark, and white based teams.

The brown would only need to be worn a couple of times a season (GWS, GC ? ) - but is still very much Hawthorn so would be ok in grand final if that occurred.

The brown strip IS a dark guernsey. Removing the gold stripes helps reinforce this.

Similarly the gold (home) strip is a light strip. Removing the brown stripes on back helps this. Because they don't have white, it works with the brown shorts.

So all hawks need is 2 strips - 1 gold (home/away), 1 brown (clash). The Gold will work in almost all matches, with white shorts when away v most sides. Yellow works v both dark, and white based teams.

The brown would only need to be worn a couple of times a season (GWS, GC ? ) - but is still very much Hawthorn so would be ok in grand final if that occurred.
The gold stripes are thicker and stood out more than the brown ones. It was a useless strip, but it didn't look that bad, and didn't really add to the clashing of potential opponents. The white shorts that always accompanied it made it light too :p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Here is a selection of Hawthorn jumpers for various occassions
lnyk8aa.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back