Autopsy Hawks fall in a heap against the Dogs - Rd 2, 2019

May 11, 2006
Private Idaho
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
West Coast Racing Pigeon Club
Bont2Boyd already quoted the rule 3 pages ago, so you're wrong.

This is my last post on this, just watch the footage again if you doubt what I've said, and if you need to look up the rule, go do that too. The Umpire was ready to bounce the ball, but Worpel ran in front of him, delaying it. So I thought it was a fair enough free kick, just came late in the game at a crucial time so it's been highlighted. If it happened in the first qtr, no one would care.

Here is my last post, noon gives a feck what you think...go and enjoy the win with your own ball lickers and talk about the throws, scragging and all the other BS that your mob are allowed to do game to game...

If you watch it again you will notice the dogs finish their huddle and take their positions. The hawks 4 are still in the huddle to the left. The umpire clearly says to them "clear out boys....out now", and Worpel, instead of immediately clearing the circle, decides to go further in the middle in order to man up his opponent, which he should have already done. The umpire felt he took too long, and didn't listen when asked to clear out, so he paid a free kick stating "I'm here to bounce". The AFL seems to think the umpire should have been more lenient, but since Worpel had a chance to go 1 meter to the left outside the circle, but instead chose to cross through the middle, I think he was warned enough.

This is my last post on this, just watch the footage again if you doubt what I've said, and if you need to look up the rule, go do that too. The Umpire was ready to bounce the ball, but Worpel ran in front of him, delaying it. So I thought it was a fair enough free kick, just came late in the game at a crucial time so it's been highlighted. If it happened in the first qtr, no one would care.

What crap. The circle is about a metre or so wide. He's told to clear out so runs directly out to the position he should be in, which takes him that full 1-2 metres through the circle.... which takes a whole * all of a second. He took the direct route to his starting position as he was asked and got penalised for it.

Feb 6, 2004
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn
Worpel, instead of immediately clearing the circle, decides to go further in the middle in order to man up his opponent
(d) enters the Centre Circle when the field Umpire is bouncing or attempting to bounce the football or when the field Umpire is throwing or attempting to throw up the football; or
I haven't seen the footage but based on what you are saying he was already in the circle. The intent of the rule is outlined in the first word "enters". It would be incumbent on the umpire to ensure the circle is clear of players before bouncing the ball and adjudicating whether a player enters the circle during the the bouncing of the ball. That is why the AFL says the umpire got it wrong. It's right there in plain english.

If you watch it again you will notice the dogs finish their huddle and take their positions. The hawks 4 are still in the huddle to the left. The umpire clearly says to them "clear out boys....out now", and Worpel, instead of immediately clearing the circle, decides to go further in the middle in order to man up his opponent, which he should have already done. The umpire felt he took too long, and didn't listen when asked to clear out, so he paid a free kick stating "I'm here to bounce". The AFL seems to think the umpire should have been more lenient, but since Worpel had a chance to go 1 meter to the left outside the circle, but instead chose to cross through the middle, I think he was warned enough.

We need Far Cough to comment here...

brew

Club Legend
Oct 10, 2003
Strefi
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Well if you can't discuss the facts, don't quote me anymore. I'm not here to troll, in fact I've agreed that there were some frees given that I'd rather not see in the game. But I'm sorry for actually bringing a bit of reality to you all by quoting the umpire, the actual rules, and what the vision showed. I'll let you get back to believing a 50 point turnaround happened due to umpires.

You are here to troll

Stop trying to justify BS...... go on your own board and talk about this victory along with your 2 flags

Dude, the AFL has come out and said it was a wrong call. Let it go.

hk89

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 12, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn

No YOU are wrong. Did you even look up the rule he cited?

"enters the Centre Circle when the field Umpire is bouncing or attempting to bounce the football or when the field Umpire is throwing or attempting to throw up the football; or"

What I notice is that he was not actually bouncing the ball at the time Worpel ran through. Instead he was looking out for a free kick to give. Which means by your own admission , probably none of the O'Meara, Sicily, Worpel frees were there. The only one of the contentious frees I'd concede was anywhere near payable was the Impy free.

My question to you is, why do you care enough to argue the point on another team's board? You were clearly the better team on the day, and may well have won without the mistakes, you certainly deserved to win given the way you played.

Is it perhaps the s**t Bulldogs have copped over the last few years for being umpires pets that has made this a sensitive point for Dogs' supporters? When Hawthorn started copping #freekickhawthorn , it was pretty clear what was driving it. After 3 flags in a row (1 more than Bulldog's have managed in their entire time in the VFL/AFL) people were getting sick of us. We were top of the ladder late in the season that bullshit started, some figuring we were heading for #4. None of the actual free kick stats backed up the bullshit (unlike the Bulldog's case where the numbers make it pretty clear you are getting kissed on the dick most weeks). During none of that time did I feel the need to jump on the opposition boards and argue the case about why it was bullshit. So why are you doing it? The lady doth protest too much, methinks.

Oh, and * off.

JoeHawk

Norm Smith Medallist
May 19, 2008
Templestowe
AFL Club
Hawthorn
No YOU are wrong. Did you even look up the rule he cited?

"enters the Centre Circle when the field Umpire is bouncing or attempting to bounce the football or when the field Umpire is throwing or attempting to throw up the football; or"

What I notice is that he was not actually bouncing the ball at the time Worpel ran through. Instead he was looking out for a free kick to give. Which means by your own admission , probably none of the O'Meara, Sicily, Worpel frees were there. The only one of the contentious frees I'd concede was anywhere near payable was the Impy free.

My question to you is, why do you care enough to argue the point on another team's board? You were clearly the better team on the day, and may well have won without the mistakes, you certainly deserved to win given the way you played.

Is it perhaps the s**t Bulldogs have copped over the last few years for being umpires pets that has made this a sensitive point for Dogs' supporters? When Hawthorn started copping #freekickhawthorn , it was pretty clear what was driving it. After 3 flags in a row (1 more than Bulldog's have managed in their entire time in the VFL/AFL) people were getting sick of us. We were top of the ladder late in the season that bullshit started, some figuring we were heading for #4. None of the actual free kick stats backed up the bullshit (unlike the Bulldog's case where the numbers make it pretty clear you are getting kissed on the dick most weeks). During none of that time did I feel the need to jump on the opposition boards and argue the case about why it was bullshit. So why are you doing it? The lady doth protest too much, methinks.

Oh, and **** off.

Oh yeah......
44BDD1D8-28D8-4916-BA11-64BA8BF78A2E.jpeg

May 29, 2010
The Tree Lodge
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
SF 49ers, Arsenal
Great points re the competency of those in charge. Since leaving the boys club of AFL - Demetriou was part of a loss close to 150m in Acquire Learning collapse and Mike Fitzpatrick lost his shirt in a renewable energy project

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-02...about-145m-acquire-learning-collapse/10854062

https://www.smh.com.au/business/com...hits-former-afl-chairman-20190313-p513yj.html

Thanks for sharing the links. I doubt anyone in the AFL was surprised by this. Demetriou had a habit of awarding himself big bonuses when AFL CEO. Just because.

thejockey

Club Legend
Apr 5, 2015
keilor
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Buffalo Bills, Boston Red Sox
There are a few keys to this game.

It was painful to do, but I took another detailed look at the game and went deep into what it was that got the doggies on top of us and have outlined where we need to improve.

Through the middle of the ground, we weren't considered with our ball movement. There were very few attempts to hit up the short target or fire the ball out to a player in a better position or with a better skill set. Love Worpel, but he goes the kick pretty quickly and I'm sure the club would rather he look for a player to dish off to unless he has an obvious target.

O'Meara is similarly a kick first sort of player, which is great if there's a target, but we are evidently not a team where you can bomb it forward and expect results - he was running at 50% efficiency which is not at all ideal. Simply put 11 intercepts to Crozier and 10 to Suckling is not acceptable.

Not only did we suffer from interchange limitations through losing Burgoyne and Shiels (55% and 53% game time respectively) we also had Ceglar on limited game time (66%) and Scully (76%, more than we would have liked heading in). This meant the rest of our players were on the field for 80% or more, and the dogs on the other hand were able to rotate more evenly.

Here's my bit of whinging too - I'm not sure how we're supposed to win in a clearance situation when Tom Liberatore literally just throws the ball. Not even kidding, I was continuously watching his handballs and slowed them down and it's the same every time. Jump forward, throw. Jump forward, throw. He never gets pinged and it absolutely does my head in.
As much as I hate saying it was very good coaching by Beveridge , he knew we were two down through the midfield and rotated his mids heavily against ours .

Umps aside with the new format 6-6-6 two players down they were always going to run over us . We needed to find some way to slow play down and hang on but we couldn’t
Live and learn

PT Bar None

Banal Chaos
Cake Connoisseur
Mar 11, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Macrae has come out today and said that it wasn't a freekick, he feels sorry for Jaegar, but "wasn't going to do a Gilchrist" and not take the free.

Brave remark from Macrae (whom I rate). Embarrassing city hall is one of the unforgivables. Might be lucky to get another free kick* for the rest of the year.

* Of course they don't engage in this sort of behaviour. I'm just being silly.

A Diakos

Club Legend
Apr 17, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn

champ....even the AFL admit it was a mistake....they haven't admitted the Sicily and Omeara decisions where wrong however universally every ex player and commentator have labelled the decisions what they are ..incorrect and rubbish....that's 3 goals directly from very poor umpire decisions (+ Rough stripped shot 45m out) + the scully 50 metre penalty earlier that was 70m in effect after Ump already called play on ...take the 4 points and also accept the umpiring peformance was rubbish

I’m certainly contemplating it.

Forget about the frees against Sic and O’meara as s**t as they were, it was the complete lack of free kicks prior to that which drove me insane.

I don’t go for conspiracy theories, but **** me, one side got free kicks as soon as one of our defenders looked at his opponent while our guys were scrappped and impeded without penalty.
I don't go for conspiracy theories either generally except twice maybe three times. 2001 prelim, absolutely had to be rigged. There is no way someone is that incompetent without an agenda. The 2016 GF. Same thing. And this weekend. Looking for frees to pay against the hawks, that's what it smacked of. If people thought that the AFL was out to get a particular team, why watch the sport if the result is preordained. But Sunday was beyond different. Approx 20 decisions that were fifty fifty all went one way. The chances are 1 in 1.048 million if it's random.

Mar 26, 2011
Where kookaburras chuckle.
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
LA Lakers
The amount of di**head Footscray supporters this thread has had to endure in the last couple of days from an umpire assisted win has been extraordinary. The karma bus is going to arrive at your doorstep very soon! When it does you know which supporters will be following that bus right back at you. I can't wait!

Aug 4, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I don't go for conspiracy theories either generally except twice maybe three times. 2001 prelim, absolutely had to be rigged. There is no way someone is that incompetent without an agenda. The 2016 GF. Same thing. And this weekend. Looking for frees to pay against the hawks, that's what it smacked of. If people thought that the AFL was out to get a particular team, why watch the sport if the result is preordained. But Sunday was beyond different. Approx 20 decisions that were fifty fifty all went one way. The chances are 1 in 1.048 million if it's random.
So you’re saying there’s a chance...

tige19

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 13, 2003
AFL Club
Hawthorn
FYI - We are last on the Frees for ladder with 26, 5 behind 2nd last... guess who’s on top with just under 60? The feel sorry for me because we’re a rabble club.. yup the Dogs, the poor old scummy dogs. We where doomed from the outset.

Nov 5, 2014
Wherever I leave my hat
AFL Club
Hawthorn
No he had to bounce it first and then pay the free. If hes in the circle when he bounces it it's a free. No bounce no free.
Interesting idea. The rule is designed to make sure the big money = TV rights are not impacted by having to wait after the AD break. Worpel cost the big money 1 second. He was definitely in the wrong. But no opposition player or fan from either side would like that free kick.

This rule is for TV. I would hope the umpires learn that a 1 second delay on TV is secondary to the fans.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2014
Wherever I leave my hat
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The AFL does quite a bit of fluffy family friendly marketing. That's great. But it completely ignores and/or avoids the bigger issues. As was evidenced during the Essendon drug saga the AFL was more concerned with protecting it's brand than finding the truth or at least showing some transparency during the WADA investigation. A call (alleged?) to Essendon FC to inform them that WADA was on their case somehow seemed the right approach to the AFL. Says everything. They ditched Demetriou because he was damaged goods but replaced him with McLachlan to protect themselves because he knows where all the bodies are buried. Massive cultural issues that needed a complete overhaul after the Essendon case and appointing McLachlan rather than an outsider (which would have been the best thing to do) is proof of what a closed shop the AFL is. Is McLachlan even qualified or capable? Is Hocking with all his "great" ideas qualified or capable? It is one thing to be an ideas person but completely different to be someone that can actually implement them. New ideas done the same way they have always been done doesn't cut it no matter what business one is in.
Wow... I have read your post multiple times... and am still struggling to find a single point to reply to.

Umpiring decisions aside I felt we went to sleep for the last 15 minutes.

Clarkson was 110% right - we weren't the better team - we played one good quarter and were pretty putrid the rest. He didn't sook it up like many here are because he knows we should have done better.

Need to regroup and get back to basic footy.

burnside5

All Australian
May 23, 2010
Shoreham
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Timeline:
After Gowers’ push on Impey, a free kick was rightly given against Impey for his chest jab. Gowers’ return jab should have had the free kick reversed. But Impey then hits Gowers back... so it is reversed again. The right call was made as Impey was the last to hit with a clenched fist.

Both were fined showing both were in the wrong.

The O’Meara free kick was an abysmal decision, and even IF Sicerly’s fist was clench (we could not see it from the behind the goal view) his arm hit Schache chest and not the fist meaning the decision was wrong.

Aside: for mine, Henderson was the Hawks BOG. Best game I have seen him play.

Agree with the Henderson comment as concur his best 4 quarter game for the club to date.

Are the AFL and lovely umpires going to pay a free kick against Dustin Martin when he gets the ball and pushes his opponent away with force in the play which all the media seem to applaud?

Or because its our beloved rugged Dusty it is deemed okay and play on?

Either you can or cannot push a player in the chest whilst stationary or in the play I would have thought? What is the difference as the action itself should be deemed the same? Or is it okay to forcibly push an opponent away as in the act of play?

I would say NO now now AFL. If any player pushes a player with an open hand to the chest whether he be stationary or in the act of play the offending player should immediately pay a free kick to the opposition player who was on the receiving end of this humiliation and brutality!If not why? It is the same forceful action is it not?

A side note on that; have you noticed a few opposition clubs / players being taught to grab his offending arm and dragging him down which is having a huge impact on dulling his influence on games.

Umpiring decisions aside I felt we went to sleep for the last 15 minutes.

Clarkson was 110% right - we weren't the better team - we played one good quarter and were pretty putrid the rest. He didn't sook it up like many here are because he knows we should have done better.

Need to regroup and get back to basic footy.
This ridiculous notion that the best team should win? where the hell did that come from? We weren't undefeated in the 80s. The team on top on the scoreboard should win, and we were on top on the scoreboard and shooting for another goal until an imbecile thought he'd control things his way.

Back