Autopsy Hawks fall over against Tigers

Remove this Banner Ad

Seems our game plan going forward is something like this

plan A) composed tempo play, switching, cutting the angles looking for target going forward, looking for lewis/breust/gunston/poppy/wingard on lead

plan B) Long bomb into the forward line, hoping for talls to mark or smalls to crumb/rove

plan C) Run and handball through the oppositions defensive structure, generally leading to a 45-50m long bomb shot at goal.

Massive overreaction by a lot on this board. I can see what we are working towards but we just lack polish at crucial times. I think we push a tad high which makes us have no options going forward which is contributing to our low scores. I think we matched Richmond until the injuries. Once we get the execution right, we will threat like last year.

Not sure about that as an excuse when 3 of our backs (Sicily, Impey and Frawley) are having close to career best years (and Scrimshaw is playing well too) . I think it is simply he is just t woefully out of form and needs a spell. To me Roughy was offering a lot more prior to being dropped so if the big rough can have a spell so can our captain.
Not an excuse at all but a possible reason .
Those guys are in form and having very good seasons , doesn’t change we have been very unsettled back there.

You can disect it all you want but reality is we were never a chance even against a second string Richmond side. They are great team with bucket loads of talent and depth.
We are an average side at best with a list that has a lot of holes and needs a lot of work.
Disagree, there not more talented just more experienced and confident. You can't honestly tell me Kamdyn Macintosh is better than a lot of our players as an example. Noah Balta? Nathan Broad? There decent players that play a system extremely well and that's it.

Disagree, there not more talented just more experienced and confident. You can't honestly tell me Kamdyn Macintosh is better than a lot of our players as an example. Noah Balta? Nathan Broad? There decent players that play a system extremely well and that's it.

Agree on Macintosh but not Balta. At 194cm he runs like a cheetah, competently takes ball ups, and can take contested marks at all. Clarko would absolutely kill to have such an exciting young tall on our list.

Gee we missed Mitch Lewis when he went off, what a cunning selection by the footy club... Looks every but a 200+ and 500 goal player.

Commiserations on the loss.

Here are the midfield frequency stats from the game - this is an overall summary of how often your players were lining up as one of the 5 mids (3 inside + wings) at bounces.

Overall Summary - 24 Bounces

O'Meara 19
Henderson 19 wing
Shiels 19 (4w)
Worpel 16
Cousins 14 (2w)
Morrison 12 wing
Scully 10 wing
Burgoyne 5
Puopolo 3
Breust 1
Glass 1
Gunston 1 wing

Rucks:
Ceglar 20
McEvoy (inj) 2
O'Brien 2

1st Half - 10

O'Meara 9
Henderson 8 wing
Shiels 8 (2w)
Worpel 7
Cousins 7 (2w)
Morrison 4 wing
Scully 3 wing
Puopolo 1
Breust 1
Glass 1
Gunston 1 wing

Ceglar 8
McEvoy 2

2nd Half - 14

Henderson 11 wing
Shiels 11 (2w)
O'Meara 10
Worpel 9
Morrison 8 wing
Cousins 7
Scully 7 wing
Burgoyne 5
Puopolo 2

Ceglar 12
O'Brien 2

Notes:
- Really had to hit my archives for this one: the last analysed game where McEvoy was playing and didn't take the opening bounce was Rd 22, 2016 (which was also Ceglar's last game as lead ruck as he injured his ACL during the match).
- Scully was the preferred 2nd wing for Q1 & 3; Morrison was the preferred 2nd wing for Q2 & 4
McEvoy started at full forward last week v GWS with Ceglar in the square for the opening bounce.

Seems our game plan going forward is something like this

plan A) composed tempo play, switching, cutting the angles looking for target going forward, looking for lewis/breust/gunston/poppy/wingard on lead

plan B) Long bomb into the forward line, hoping for talls to mark or smalls to crumb/rove

plan C) Run and handball through the oppositions defensive structure, generally leading to a 45-50m long bomb shot at goal.

Sometimes you have to bomb it long but what kills me is when we do that, it seems to drop directly into the oppositions hands. WTF can’t we contest the bomb and spoilt it to ground to at least give us a 50/50 chance at the crumbs.

missed at least 6 shots at goal which were not even very difficult, i believe we missed 4-5 shots from within 35m and on slight angles if not straight in front..... our midfield struggled winning clearances, especially clean clearances from the centre, again cant kick a winning score, 59 points oh wow what an exciting score line, cant wait to watch less than 10 goals again next week and the week after.

Burgoyne had a rare good game, Henderson had 30 but no tackles, JOM got 30 but went at 60% DE, god he was sloppy, Worpel played it safe a few times and ruined plays, a handball to Ceglar when he was free to kick it was a good example where Ceglar gets tackled as he kicks it and a turn over happens, i mean never handball to a ruckman unless in emergency, Glass had a couple of good kicks into the forw 50, but did little else, TOB did a couple of good things, but i still struggle to get behind him, Lewis looked good until injury but struggles to kick long goals except that 1 goal last week, Moore did well except missing a goal from 15m straight in front...

a lot of passengers still.... so results are expected

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sometimes you have to bomb it long but what kills me is when we do that, it seems to drop directly into the oppositions hands. WTF can’t we contest the bomb and spoilt it to ground to at least give us a 50/50 chance at the crumbs.
yeah i mean, modern day defensive structures are all pretty good at stopping the long bomb and intercepting/rebounding.

Watching the replay currently, even our first attack showcases our problem.

scrimshaw good intercept, nice short kick to shiels in the corridor, handball to impey who runs and delivers to breust.

breust's handball to moore over the top is intercepted but moore crumbs, and his kick into the forward line under little pressure was right to the top of the square intended for gunston to mark. Bad entry, multiple defenders ready to kill the ball but we get a lucky goal from a scully kick off the ground
1558339967127.png

A speculative pick (8-10) plus Breust for a jet like Whitfield. Yes please.
Mmm a speculative pick plus bruest 4 Peter Hudson, demott brereton, dipper, Michael tuck actually all of them cos they combined aren't even half the player of a jet like whitfield. In their era of sh×× trucks they only had aeroplanes no jets.

But in all seriousness what idiot would make that trade if whitfield is as good as u say? Were not in the era of a free hodge, Mitchell and well wells elstone of 2001 anymore.

You can disect it all you want but reality is we were never a chance even against a second string Richmond side. They are great team with bucket loads of talent and depth.
We are an average side at best with a list that has a lot of holes and needs a lot of work.
No, at best we're a side that can keep GWS to less than 40 points, and that's not average.
Most of the time we're average, but 'at best' we can mix it with the best of them.

I come in peace.
I don't think the final margin properly reflected the game at all.
Hawks should have been three goals up at quarter time. I could not believe we were in front.
Ceglar was great.
Glass showed something.
Dylan Moore is coming along nicely.
Impey was terrific.
There wasn't much in it pretty much all game. Last year we often just outlasted teams. They would mount three or four challenges and we would absorb them until there wasn't another challenge left in the opposition. Collingwood are doing it this year.
Losing two players early didn't help Hawthorn's cause one bit.
Fair assessment..

Now do me a favour, go kick my brother ( Richmond supporter ) in the nuts will you ? He is an insufferable winner and has completely killed off the Tige’s ever being my number 2 team ever again.

I’m not going to lie - I love watching Dusty play. Makes it look so effortless.

I’m also enjoying watching Worpel - it’s a tough gig having to play such a major role in the middle early in your career. I can’t wait to see him develop even more once he has Mitchell, JOM and ? alongside next season.

I think he and Lewis are going to be something special. I’m also beginning to think TOB is going to turn out okay as long as he is isn’t sent forward ;)

25% of Hawthorn players didn’t have a tackle, led by Ben Stratton... that stat is disgraceful, how on earth does a guy like Ricky Henderson get 30 touches as a mid and not lay a tackle? There’s no excuse.
And when they do go to tackle, it is with spaghetti arm efforts. Our tackling is disgraceful.

TBF they have been the best team in the comp the last 2 and bit years. They are simply better than us at the moment I don't read anything more into it than that

Yes, however they are nowhere near the best team this season. They were nowhere near the best team in 12,13 and 15 when we featured and won gfs.

The Richmond losses are becoming a problem in the manner in which we are losing these contests. They have a mental edge which is a concern and needs to be addressed in the same way we addressed Geelong subsequent to 2008. The idea of the curse was a good thing for us. It was the catalyst for the three peat. We delivered when it mattered in the prelim.

Even against Geelong during our losses we were always in the contest. Not to mention the double last season. Even our round 5 effort showed promise. The club is not showing enough hurt when losing to Richmond. Hardwick has our measure.

As for the Richmond idiots liking my post, * off. Don’t forget you were nothing for four decades when the sport was actually becoming professional. You delivered one flag from 1974 to 2016. Furthermore you crumbled when it mattered in 2018. Gfs are hard to win let alone make. No one remembers second place, ask our 2012 team. Also don’t bother talking about pre 1960 football. The game wasn’t even watchable.

KOLOKOTRONIS

Gee we missed Mitch Lewis when he went off, what a cunning selection by the footy club... Looks every but a 200+ and 500 goal player.

Lewis doesn't have the creativeness and agility that Ruffy had.

At Box Hill it was rare to see Lewis swoop on a ground ball. He did it against Carlton, admittedly. But I can't see him kicking 500 at this stage.

Right now he is a 10 possession player at best, and his greatest asset is to contest the long bomb hail marry kick. He has great hands.

I just want to be realistic about where Lewis can take us. Brisbane have 3 tall forwards, St Kilda have 3, Carlton have 3 etc. We have Lewis, who is a great contested mark and kick, but not a super tall or athletic forward, like most other clubs have.

Perhaps i am being overly pessimistic. But Lewis doesn't have a great spring in his leap. It always worries me in a marking forward. There are reasons he was the last pick in the draft.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back