Autopsy Hawks flog Demons

Remove this Banner Ad

Nice little dig at the AFL for canning the Development competition.

That was my favourite bit of the whole chat. Was great of him to stick the boot in to the AFL over a really dumb decision.

How much money could it have cost? How much money would it have cost if they set up zones so that there was never an issue with transport (which surely is a major cost)?

Forget about Mitchell being tagged. The positive thing about our win was the even spread of possessions across our midfielders. Clarko was delighted with that I have no doubt.
It will be interesting to see if Cousins gets the nod next week. He has been kicking the selectors door down.

It would have been a major unknown for Clarko, and now he knows how the team gels if there is a heavy tag.

Mitch vs Jones is great reading, still reckon Mitch got the chocolates as per Clarko's comments

Mitch had more disposals 24 vs 20
More tackles 5 vs 2
More pressure acts 28 vs 15
More clearances 14 vs 3
More inside 50s 5 vs 3
Just a real weird decision to use Melbourne's best midfielder (Jones) as a tagger. Not sure of the thought process going on here by Melbourne coaching team.

Just a real weird decision to use Melbourne's best midfielder (Jones) as a tagger. Not sure of the thought process going on here by Melbourne coaching team.
not sure why they kept at it, worked well in the first quarter but once we changed how our Rucks played Gawn and started winning it out of the middle you'd think they would change it up

Everyone is talking about how well Mitchell was held but the only Dees player to have more of the ball than him was Oliver, the only Dees player to have more pressure acts than him was Neal-Bullen and he had as many clearances as the TOP 3 Dees players combined

If that's stopping him then go for it every week

Two guys in the pub:
Hawk supporter: How long has Melbourne been rebuilding?
Melbourne man: Well, we've had 6 top ten draft picks between 2012 and 2015, so I guess that means six years. How many have you had?
Hawk supporter: Oh, none, but we have won three premierships in that time.
Melbourne man: Suppose you have, but you are on the decline this year, so you will be ta&%ing (not allowed to use that word in front of Dee supporters) won't you?
Hawk supporter: Not really, we rebuilt in six months, without having access to top ten picks.
Melbourne man: Did you get a super coach like Roos?
Hawk supporter: Piss off!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Two guys in the pub:
Melbourne man: Well, we've had 6 top ten draft picks between 2012 and 2015, so I guess that means six years. How many have you had?
Melbourne man: Suppose you have, but you are on the decline this year, so you will be ta&%ing (not allowed to use that word in front of Dee supporters) won't you?
Hawk supporter: Not really, we rebuilt in six months, without having access to top ten picks.
Melbourne man: Did you get a supper coach like Roos?

No we have a super coach, don't think Clarko would eat later in the evening!

PS Sorry Thaihawk.

Maybe peds like Tb4 (they are the good ones right?) have lasting complications after all.:rolleyes:

Watched Buckley send Pendlebury to Cripps in the Carlton game last week, got a lot of favorable discussion (Captain sacrificing his game, team sport blah blah blah) and then Collingwood came out an thumped Adelaide.

In typical AFL coaching philosophy I guess Goodwin thought I will copy that, send my captain to the gun midfielder, we will beat Hawthorn, then the team will be “all in” for the following week when they face the other grand finalist in Richmond...

I guess someone forgot to tell him we are not Carlton, we are Hawthorn - the best coached and most successful club of the modern era...

Watched Buckley send Pendlebury to Cripps in the Carlton game last week, got a lot of favorable discussion (Captain sacrificing his game, team sport blah blah blah) and then Collingwood came out an thumped Adelaide.

In typical AFL coaching philosophy I guess Goodwin thought I will copy that, send my captain to the gun midfielder, we will beat Hawthorn, then the team will be “all in” for the following week when they face the other grand finalist in Richmond...

I guess someone forgot to tell him we are not Carlton, we are Hawthorn - the best coached and most successful club of the modern era...
I saw that as Goodwin saying, "let's sacrifice Jones to stop Mitchell, and I'll back the rest of my midfield group to smash the Hawks midfield who have no one".

Enter L.Shiels and J.O'Meara.

Good for Mitchell to learn how to deal with taggers. Wouldn't have happened much during his time at the Swans. I'm glad he kept working hard and despite the "low" possession count of 24, he still managed 13 clearances which made him damaging.

I don't venture over to oppo boards often, but the Dees autopsy thread is odd. They are extremely critical of all and sundry. Yes it was a bad day, but they're still 2-2 and its only April.
If we only kicked 1 goal in 3 quarters of footy I think this board would melt hard

If we only kicked 1 goal in 3 quarters of footy I think this board would melt hard

This, we essentially did to them over the last 3 quarters what Port did to us over the first 3 quarters of that game last year.

It's a terrible effort and I understand the defeatism.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mitch vs Jones is great reading, still reckon Mitch got the chocolates as per Clarko's comments

More tackles 5 vs 2
More clearances 14 vs 3
More inside 50s 5 vs 3

Yep. Not sure everyone realises you can still have a good game and be a good contributor without necessarily being best on ground.

Mitchell still had a really solid game.

In 2016 Tom Mitchell was tagging for Sydney. He was tagging Sam Mitchell against us.

Thankfully we are playing him in his natural role as a ball magnet.

What hasn't been said much with the tag or not debate is that he has been tagged many times this year and last but simply beat them.

Blicsavs was tagging him last year when he got 43 touches and kicked 2 goals against Geelong. You wouldn't have realised it if he didn't embarrassingly admit it in an interview.

Quite a few times he has had a lot of attention but because he is so good at the contested and clearance work he still gets his share and he can also win a lot on the spread.

Jones did a good job to limit his inside game a little but completely shut down his outside game and scoring. Last week he had 6 or 7 bounces.

But if before the game you told me that Jones was going to spend the whole game looking at the number 3 instead of the ball I'd be rapt. Bad call from Goodwin.

There are a lot of restrictions on size, number of frames, etc, and the webm file has to be converted to a GIF file.

I made you this one...... which you should be able to save to your computer using 'Save Image As' and upload using the Custom Avatar (Select File) process in BF

View attachment 483902

Thank you - very much appreciated

Yep. Not sure everyone realises you can still have a good game and be a good contributor without necessarily being best on ground.

Mitchell still had a really solid game.
It's funny that people keep saying he isn't damaging and '20 touches from x player is worth more than 35 from Mitchell'. Well he just proved he can still impact a game with mid 20's disposals. He really is one of the best players in the competition at this point.

How far does Sic's barrel go, from 25m inside the defensive 50m line to where it gets touched almost at the back of the square...?
Bounced in line with (from JS's perspective) the far side of the centre circle. Google Map view of MCG must have been taken during cricket season, no lines to measure it. :(

More tackles 5 vs 2
More clearances 14 vs 3
More inside 50s 5 vs 3
To be fair to jones, champion data don’t record tackles unless the player being tackled has the ball. Would change his numbers quite a bit if they did ;)

Bounced in line with (from JS's perspective) the far side of the centre circle. Google Map view of MCG must have been taken during cricket season, no lines to measure it. :(
Fortunately, Google Earth has a 'historical photograph' feature where you can look at past aerial photos of areas. Found one with the football line markings and measured the kick at somewhere in the region of 67 metres. The sprint by Jaegs to kick the goal off the back of that barrel was exceptional too

Two guys in the pub:
Melbourne man: Did you get a supper coach like Roos?

light meal mentoring aside, the part of this I enjoyed most was the six year figure. I can totally see someone saying that. Wasn't Jack Watts was the #1 from 2008? :D

Wasn’t that a great win?
Sitting at the MCG at three-quarter time, a couple of supporters nearby voiced the fear that we were two players down, it had been a hard, physical game in wet conditions and it was going to be a brutal last quarter.

What followed was an absolutely brilliant last quarter, and a testament to our coaching strategy (and to the horror show that is the Demons!)

A couple of points:
  1. I don’t think people appreciate the extent to which our midfield and defence has been rebuilt. Our two main offensive midfielders are new to the club and still settling in;
  2. Our defence is unrecognizable from the 2013 – 2015 era, apart from the great man Ben Stratton. And the defence was even significantly different to last week. Given that the combination and teamwork between defenders is so critical these days, you can only admire what Clarko has done.
  3. To the poster who spotted the “Max Gawn Pushing Show”: you are right, Gawn spent the whole game pushing Big Boy out of rucking contests with his hands. One of the supporters nearby starting calling out “push out” around the 2nd quarter, and kept calling them right through the game. Isn’t that clear ruck interference?
  4. Do Melbourne draftees think: “I’m a high draft pick, I’m a star in the making, I’m playing for the oldest club in the land and I’m meeting wealthy supporters who are chauffeur driven to games in their Rolls, what a life!”? It certainly looks that way!

There’s still a long way to go, but we need to just keep getting it done and chalk up the wins.

Fortunately, Google Earth has a 'historical photograph' feature where you can look at past aerial photos of areas. Found one with the football line markings and measured the kick at somewhere in the region of 67 metres. The sprint by Jaegs to kick the goal off the back of that barrel was exceptional too
Thx, too much of a PiTA to install GE on my work PC.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back