Autopsy Hawks flog Demons

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure if anyone has stated (or recognised) how well Impey played on the weekend. Career high disposals (23), contested possessions (13) and clearances (6). Also had 506 metres gained.

Stats increase is probably due to the injuries to Puopolo and Rioli, but will interesting none the less if he continues to improve.

That was a good win to see from us. I was glad Titch didn't get his record. I wanted to see what happened if he was shut out (By his standards - 24 and 13 clearances would be a great game for mere mortals). It was excellent to see many of our better players were either younger or had been injured or out of form to a degree.
Impey is just a master stroke pick up. Gives us what we have missed from Hill and he loves a crunching tackle.
Mirra settled in really well after a jittery start. The review of the tape will be good for him because I think he made a few poor choices but by the 4th, was well on top of Hogan and he should get confidence from that.
Good response from Sheila. Haven't seen much of that quality from him since about 2011/2012.
O'Brien was fantastic. Great get-out kick option and chimed in with 3 when it opened up.
Duryea was really solid again. I love that he doesn't drop his head when his form is down. He attacks everything with 110% and sometimes that's a great way to knock yourself into form.
Stratts is very important to our defensive setup and just a great team player. I have said it a thousand times, He is Chris Mew version 2.0.
Breust is back, after a pretty ordinary 2017. This is Breust circa 2013/15 again. Hitting the front of packs hard and using his clean hands and evasion to snap truly. I know he stated this was the first pre-season that he hasn't been really sore and it is showing. He looks leaner and fitter than he has in the past.
O'Meara - That was the best game he has played for us for sure. Almost had kittens when he went to the bench and chatted to the physio and pointed to his knee. Hopefully it is all good, he played the game out really well and burned them off for that running soccer goal. he was 5 back at the kick and nekminnit - see you all later. I was more impressed with his ball use though, some really clever kicks.
Morrison was fair, very clean off the deck and composed.
Sicily was a rock when the ball was coming in. Looks like he has been a backman for 100 games.
Roughy, Gunner and Poppy were really good on the day too. Shame about Poppy's injury. Hardwick had a frustrating day at the office with the umps I think. Got pinged for a couple of dubious calls and didn't have the usual effectiveness.

So Lewis played most of the game with a fractured hand that he's now had surgery on, goes some way to explaining his worst game in a long time, guy is still a warrior though

Good to see the Mafia is alive and well :D

Shiels, Bruest, O'Meara, Mitchell, Hardwick and Sicily.
I thought Dimma was down and frustrated. O'Brien did all he needed, without the goals. Halved contest after contest and took some great contested and pack marks from long get-out kicks. The goals were a bonus when the game was on our terms. Still a great game. Lewis played 2-1/2 qtrs with a broken hand. Not that you knew it at the time, but pretty poor to pot an absolute champion of a player who gave everything for the Hawks. Just not sure why you would go down that path??

The Melbourne supporters around us were so lippy in that first quarter like you wouldn't believe.

Very arrogant about their own side and quite disrespectful towards us. You'd think they are the ones that have won four flags in the last decade.

Made the next three quarters even sweeter, and yes, we let them know about it. :D

Sorry for the wait, but it will be worth it!

Great work again mate.

Looking at the highlights something stick out. TOB is hands down one of the most introverted people in the AFL. No floggery after any of his goals and looking at his team mates reaction I think they know this and are trying to make him feel he belongs. It’s my take on it having not met the guy.

Sorry for the wait, but it will be worth it!

Rather amusing passage at 5:15 mark. Shiels is running down the wing and a Melb player moving in to tackle. Another Hawk looks to bump him in a shepherd, so he just fell down. No point in getting hurt, I guess.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Melbourne supporters around us were so lippy in that first quarter like you wouldn't believe.

Very arrogant about their own side and quite disrespectful towards us. You'd think they are the ones that have won four flags in the last decade.

Made the next three quarters even sweeter, and yes, we let them know about it. :D

There were 4 Demon supporters a couple of rows behind us.
Very loud in the 1st Quarter, laughing at Hawthorn mistakes.

A bit quieter as the game wore on, and all of them left a bit early in the 4th Quarter.

I don't blame them: probably wanted to avoid the traffic on Punt Road to Toorak.

Hope I’m not breaking any rules but thought I’d share this post from the Melbourne board Match Review Thread which is an absolute classic. Especially the Fugly part........ enjoy:

Good:

The watch afl website shitting itself and taking me immediately to 3/4 time when I tried to watch the replay. Saved me a couple of hours of misery by the looks of it. I'll be in Mauritius next weekend, so it's also good to know I won't need to make provisions to watch the Richmond match. That's two more hours of guilt-free beach time.

Bad:

Knowing that this team will never be more than mediocre. We could turn over the entire list (as we have done) and we'd still have middling in our DNA. I don't have any faith in Goodwin as coach, but I'm not sure anyone else could do better. We're just consummate losers. In contrast with...

Fugly:

Hawthorn can just **** off. One season out of the finals and suddenly a top four team again. It must be incredibly tedious and routine to be a Hawthorn supporter. Terrible for the character to win all the time, imho. What do you get from supporting a team that you just know will never be terrible? Is it even possible to draw satisfaction from beating perennial punching bags like Melbourne year after year? Don't victories like today come tinged with a smattering of pity and guilt as they realise they're essentially beating up on a stupid puppy that lacks any capacity to do anyone any harm? Isn't there a point where a Hawthorn supporter just has to look themselves in the mirror - much in the manner of a jaded hitman - and think, "what's the point of all this"? Like of course you can drown puppies any time you feel like it - you will always have that power, puppies are stupid and enfeebled - but can it actually bring with it a sense of pride or achievement? What real joy or satisfaction can be drawn from following a team that will just never be bad? Can't we just hand these ******s a premiership cup every three years and tell them to **** off and leave the rest of us alone?

Yeh, thinking the exact same as I watch him playing....still working within parameters he's sure of are 'coach approved', but I've got a feeling he could take some chances on picking it up off the deck and sprinting in a change of direction that will take our breath away when the confidence is there.
He just doesn't look surprised or nervous to see it bouncing around on the grass, keeps tracking it and times it well to attack, doesn't get done in by the weird shaped ball's bounces.
He's going to explode one of these games and were all going to go 'whoa', what have we got on our hands with this terrific young man!!!!

Looks like that to me ff, but I think I would like to see him spend some time under the giudance of Silk. I think he has a very bright future, but sometimes wastes a little energy, and if he could learn that from SB, well watch out. If not, well it should eventually come with experience. Can't wait to get the second Connor in too.;)

Hope I’m not breaking any rules but thought I’d share this post from the Melbourne board Match Review Thread which is an absolute classic. Especially the Fugly part........ enjoy:

Good:

The watch afl website shitting itself and taking me immediately to 3/4 time when I tried to watch the replay. Saved me a couple of hours of misery by the looks of it. I'll be in Mauritius next weekend, so it's also good to know I won't need to make provisions to watch the Richmond match. That's two more hours of guilt-free beach time.

Bad:

Knowing that this team will never be more than mediocre. We could turn over the entire list (as we have done) and we'd still have middling in our DNA. I don't have any faith in Goodwin as coach, but I'm not sure anyone else could do better. We're just consummate losers. In contrast with...

Fugly:

Hawthorn can just **** off. One season out of the finals and suddenly a top four team again. It must be incredibly tedious and routine to be a Hawthorn supporter. Terrible for the character to win all the time, imho. What do you get from supporting a team that you just know will never be terrible? Is it even possible to draw satisfaction from beating perennial punching bags like Melbourne year after year? Don't victories like today come tinged with a smattering of pity and guilt as they realise they're essentially beating up on a stupid puppy that lacks any capacity to do anyone any harm? Isn't there a point where a Hawthorn supporter just has to look themselves in the mirror - much in the manner of a jaded hitman - and think, "what's the point of all this"? Like of course you can drown puppies any time you feel like it - you will always have that power, puppies are stupid and enfeebled - but can it actually bring with it a sense of pride or achievement? What real joy or satisfaction can be drawn from following a team that will just never be bad? Can't we just hand these ******s a premiership cup every three years and tell them to **** off and leave the rest of us alone?
Top post.
What ever life throws at us, we know we always will have the Hawks. Now were are those Puppies? They'd be a bit more of a challenge than the Dees.

Last edited:
Great work again mate.

Looking at the highlights something stick out. TOB is hands down one of the most introverted people in the AFL. No floggery after any of his goals and looking at his team mates reaction I think they know this and are trying to make him feel he belongs. It’s my take on it having not met the guy.
A far cry from the previous no. 23’s, although there was Crawshay.

Actually I’m struggling to remember who else who 23 between Dermie and Buddy. Anyone?

Edit. Just looked up a few Collica, Nathan Thompson, Justin Crawford

Last edited:
A far cry from the previous no. 23’s, although there was Crawshay.

Actually I’m struggling to remember who else who 23 between Dermie and Buddy. Anyone?

Edit. Just looked up a few Collica, Nathan Thompson, Justin Crawford
How could you forget Don Scott. John Peck won three Coleman;s, I think too.

So Lewis played most of the game with a fractured hand that he's now had surgery on, goes some way to explaining his worst game in a long time, guy is still a warrior though

This might seem a bit selfish, but he needs to miss a few games so he doesn’t get to the 100 game mark for Melbourne. At the end of his current 3 year contract with Melbourne, he will be 33 1/2. If he plays 2 more years that makes 110 + finals (hehe.......finals......hehe.......Melbourne.......rofl).
Need him to miss at least 10 - 15 games if he plays a couple of years after his current contract. Not sure I can see him playing after he turns 36, but you never know.
Played 19 last year, and misses a couple more here. I am sure he will miss a few more with kid age than juries, soreness, and suspensions.

Other than that, hoping for a full recovery and for him to be back out on the field playing soon

Remove this Banner Ad

Back